I've just returned from my first trip in Crete and thought I would share my experience of this beautiful island with you, we stayed at the Ledra,Maleme which was recommended by Laura at Future Travel and what a hidden gem this is!!!
The rooms are basic, but comfortable and immaculatlly cleaned daily, they have a small kitchenette which would benefit from having a grill, but with a little imagination you can make something basic from the fresh, delightful local food. The bathrooms are clean and there is always plenty of hot water 24/7. We had a lovely balcony and would spend many lazy evenings playing cards and sipping down the local raki before going to the restuarant atached to the apartments.
The restuarant is absolutetly superb, the food made of fresh local ingredients is simple, but of a very high standard. We did try a few restuarants on the sea front, but to be honest the food at the Ledra is of a much higher standard cooked by Anastassia.
Nico runs the complex in a very relaxed manner, always smiling, always ready to chat and will keep the bar open until the last guest departs for a long lazy sleep...
We would highly recommend hiring a car from the local rep and the prices are a lot cheaper than the local rental firms. We spent 3 days exploring this delightful island discovering the most amazing secluded beaches I've ever seen. I would highly recommend visiting elafinisi beach which is a lovely 2 hour drive away, also recommended is prevalli beach and Kournas lake which is the only fresh water lake on Crete.
As you always leave the best for last, I have to mention and recommend highly a delightful place caled Paleochora (or Paleohora) on the south west side of the island, This has the most sandy beaches, hidden bars, rocky coves...and some delightful restuarants on the harbour front, In the evening we dined at the calypso and were treated to a delicious meal of prawns, indian dal, lamb kleftiko all washed down with delicious local wine and raki.
All in all if you want a relaxing, romantic holiday, this place is definately for you, It has all the ingredients you need to chill out and is not as expensive as you would imagine, I would recommend booking through either Future Travel or Libra Travel as I have found them to be highly professional.
Hope this helps and please feel free to contact me if you want to ask any questions.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- LEDRA MALEME HOTEL is located 15km outside the town center of Hania, 30km from the airport, 20km from Souda port and only 150 meters away from the beach. Not too far from the hotel you can fish, water ski, scuba dive, wind-surf, etc. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, LoveHolidays, Odigeo and Travel Republic (UK) so you can book your Ledra Maleme reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ledra Maleme Hotel Maleme
- Ledra Maleme Chania
- Ledra Maleme Hotel Chania
- Ledra Maleme Crete