My wife and I stayed in the hotel part for eleven nights in July. First things first. This is a family run complex, and you will feel like an old family friend almost straight away. All the people working there are the warmest, friendliest people you will ever meet. It was a privilege to make their acquaintance and I am a better person for having met them all.
Our room was if fact a family room. One room having two single beds, the other having a double bed. The bed was very firm but I think the most comfortable bed I have slept in. The bathroom was adequate. The room was cleaned every day bar Sunday. Everywhere is kept nice and clean. The evening meals in the hotel restaurant are excellent. The Granny does the cooking and you will not get better food anywhere in Crete. Very reasonably priced too! Some of the food is grown on their own plot. When you finish your meal you always get complimentary cake and shots. Then you go to pay you get more but different complimentary shots along with friendly chats. Always a lovely meal.
The Apartments, pool and pool bar are a very brief stroll from the hotel. You walk past their vegetable plot. The pool is very nice and the pool area good, with plenty of sun loungers and plenty of space. The pool bar staff members are so nice and so efficient. The pool bar food is good also. Every time you order anything you get more complementary shots as well. They jokingly say “time for your vitamins” when they bring them over. If you don’t like Ouzo when you arrive, you will be fond of it before you leave. Beer cost €2.80 a pint but a spirit and mixer is quite expensive at €4.50. There is no entertainment or shows provided but always a great atmosphere and fantastic interaction between staff and guests. It opens until 2.00am. We heard so many people say they had booked for next year already. The other guests were mostly British and all were friendly and polite without being intrusive.
The beach is across a quiet road. It is a very quiet pebble beach, never anyone sitting close to you. It is a good idea to bring or buy swimming shoes. Not good for small children as it shelves a bit.
Maleme (pronounced Mal-a-may) itself has very little in it, a few tavernas and only a few shops. There is not even a cash machine. The nearest ATM is in Platanias, a much larger resort with nightclubs etc just a short bus ride down the road. There is a bus stop outside the hotel and the bus service is very good with reasonable fares. Don’t be apprehensive about getting the local buses to explore. They are air conditioned coaches with very helpful and friendly mostly English speaking conductors. The younger people staying in the complex would often spend the early part of the night at the pool bar and then head into Plantanias but just as often stay around for the entire evening.
If you want all-inclusive board, a big sandy beach with shallow water, a busy resort and/or a hectic night life until 6.00am with hordes of lager louts stay away. If you want to veg-out around a lovely pool, had a few dips in the sea and meet lovely people then this complex is a good choice.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mike’s Studios & Apartments are situated on the beach in the village of Maleme, 17 kilometres west of Chania. The self-catering apartments are modern and spacious and are all surrounded by a beautiful tropical gardens. 100 metres away from the apartments is Mike's Hotel and Restaurant. Based on more traditional design, the hotel includes sea view or mountain view rooms. Enjoy Mediterranean specialties on the restaurant terrace gazing at the blue horizon of the Aegean Sea. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Alpha Holidays Limited so you can book your Mike Hotel & Apartments reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mike Hotel And Apartments
- Mike Hotel & Apartments Maleme, Crete
- Mike Hotel máleme