“Fabulous - as ever!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Mistral

The Mistral
“Fabulous - as ever!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

I have just returned from my 3rd stay at The Mistral & it was a fabulous holiday. As ever, Vassillis, Andonis, Donna & all the staff worked so hard to make everyone's stay there a happy one. The nights around the bar were so friendly with entertainment from Alex, Maik & Andreas and a great way to make new 'forever friends'. Giorgios kept us going with morning coffees of every type and tasty lunches cooked by the wonderful Vicky! The trips on offer are very often exclusive to the hotel which ensures you get a real feel for Cretan life. I cannot rate the Mistral high enough and would not hesitate to recommend to anyone.

• Stayed July 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Skipton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

It was my first experience as a solo traveller and I feel that the Mistral Hotel is a fantastic concept for people like myself. My stay waslike being part of a family and the atmosphere somewhat reminiscent of a large house party. I found the overall hospitality and helpfulness of all the staff to be outstanding.

The hotel itself is very attractive with clean, pleasant rooms and a peaceful atmosphere during the day. The two pools are inviting and there are ample, comfortable sun beds. The food is wonderful - authentic Cretan cuisine served at large group tables, making it easy to chat and make friends.

The hotel offers several well organised excursions plus a few on site activities. I liked the freedom to organise and tailor my stay to match my own needs.

I found the correspondence from the hotel before my visit to be both informative and reassuring. I will certainly return without hesitation.

Room Tip: Rooms that don't look on to the bar and pool area are quieter in the early hours.
Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

Had a great stay in the Mistral hotel - all the staff team made me very welcome from the outset, there was an interesting orientation meeting on the first morning which outlined the list of excursions available. Guests also have the option to just do their own thing and then dining together in the evenings was my favourite part - the food was excellent and it was really interesting meeting people from all walks of life and having some great discussions and plenty of laughs!
Thanks very much to Vassilis, Adonis, Donna and all the team!

Room Tip: i was in a room overlooking the pool/bar area so i did hear some music at night - if you're a li...
1 Thank Joemanchester
Harpenden, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

Lovely little hotel, beautifully maintained with attractive gardens and two great pools. Plenty of good quality sunbeds although shade around the pools can be in short supply. The front of the hotel overlooks the sea but the compromise is that it also overlooks the main road which can be noisy at night if you like to leave your windows & doors open as I do. The rooms are all different which is nice. The smaller Superior rooms are mainly at the front whereas the larger Deluxe rooms are mainly in the annexe at the rear although there are a few Deluxe rooms in the main building. All the rooms are good regardless of size. Food is mainly home grown produce from the hotels garden and excellent. The staff are all fantastic and so friendly. When I was there about half of the guests were regulars and many have already booked for next year.I would recommend this hotel without hesitation.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank 3089Young
Durham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

Yes, I am biased but I can understand some of the less complimentary remarks,it is not a great location,yes you could have your towels changed more etc. But what you get in spades is atmosphere, ambience, fun, greatfood, lively bar. Lovely clean rooms. Vassilis, Adonis, Donna and the staff could not be more helpful and are anxious to know if there is something you need or are not happy about. I have been 4 times and I look forward to my 5th. There are many people who have been more times than me. They must be doing something right!! Regards to my friends, Jacko

1 Thank Jacko155
Bury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

I've just got back from my 4th year at The Mistral and once again have had a fabulous time ! The staff cant do enough for you and the food is first class. Even more importantly what makes this hotel unique is how it caters for singles. I went four years ago not knowing anyone and came away with so many great friends...it was the best holiday I had had for years! Each year I have been back I have caught up with people I have met previously plus making new friends. Its great just being able to come down in the morning and talk to anybody and the long tables for breakfast and dinner ensure that you're never alone at meal times.You can either decide to do things alone or hook up with others...its up to you. If you are on your own or simply dont have anyone to go away with, give The Mistral a go...you wont be disappointed!

Room Tip: As others have said...front rooms have the best view but the back rooms are quiet.
1 Thank Chris020_13
Dorset, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

Yes, I am an independant, well travelled woman ( who has worked in the hospitality industry for over 25 yrs.) and although I do NOT need my hand held I do like to be aknowledged by the people I am spending a large amount of my money on/with. At the Mistral which only has approx 30 bedrooms the owners are very rarely visible, It's a small hotel with a reception desk so high I think thats where they hide away. On the many occasions I walked past the desk to go and spend money at the pool bar on lunch or cold drinks, I was hardly ever spoken to by the reception staff. I spent 14 days at the Mistral, returning home 1st July. The best part of the holiday was the glorious weather !!! The ethos of the hotel is for single, independant people of all ages to enjoy meeting new people and mixing in different groups to chat, partake in activities ( if you want ) to feel safe and not feel awkward or left out. What actually happens is ..... Many,many of the guests have been returning to this hotel ( annually - sometimes even more ) and meeting up with the friends they have met on previous occasions. Now, while this can be a good thing - it is not when it affects the new 1st time guests e.g ME and a few others who felt the same. I am not a shy and retiring person and can mix with anyone but I felt the ' regulars ' were very clicky, stuck up, aloof and sometimes even quite offensive with their lack of interest in anyone new and only decided to talk with you if their buddies weren't around. The age group is in the higher range and not as the brochure states. On both weeks there were COUPLES staying at the hotel,although they were told to be discreet. The food was acceptable the first few days but started to decline both in quantity and quality, by the end of the holiday I and a few others ate out at other restaurants. My personal opinion is this ..... the deluxe room I paid for was NOT Deluxe it was just a bit more spacious ( that doesn't make it deluxe !!!! ) The food is nothing to write home about, if you were a big eater you would be sadly disappointed with portion size and the Greek Salad is far better quality almost everywhere else. The owners & staff really do need training on how to interact with their guests on a level where they show they are at least interested and know the names of the people staying in their hotel and not just the names of all the returnee guests. So to sum things up it wasn't the holiday for me, it certainly wasn't good value for money, the guests were not the friendliest of people and the location of the hotel is not in the best or prettiest of places ( next to a petrol station one side and a derelict building the other.) Thank god for Gordie & Irish girl..... Possibly would have been very lonely with out these two lovely gals
There are a couple of good points and that is ......Mike, ( waiter ) he is a good guy and Kim is absolutley fabulous, she is an excellent guide, knowledgeable, has great skills, knows the names of her guests and looks after them in a friendly manner, she made the trips very enjoyable.

The owner needs to keep in the back of his mind that his returnees will one day not be able to return so perhaps he should put some of his focus on his 1st time guests and not just rely on his repeat business ( which was quoted on several occasions !! )

I am not the only person who felt this way about the Mistral (disappointing after not having a holiday for two years ) but obviously it suits some people.

Room Tip: Front rooms - traffic & bar noise Side rooms very hot in evening as full sun all afternoon -no...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank 53PoshGirl
longhal, Manager at The Mistral, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Obviously guest has not read the tin.
We are sorry that we did not manage to please this guest but as they also admit the Mistral is not for everyone.
We too have a 25 years experience in the hospitality industry and we just ask: why did this guest book this holiday?
We feel that the comments made about the rooms, food, hotel and staff behavior are not justified.
Guest has put a negative perspective on every aspect of the Mistral experience so we have to state some facts.
The Mistral is run by a team of people not divided to “owners and staff” and yes when there is a full house not all staff will get to know all names of guests but they do their best to get everything going.
Yes we have a petrol station near us but the hotel is largely screened from it and only if you insist on noticing it you will. The hotel is very well located only 200 meters from a nice quiet beach, only 50 meters from Super market and bus stop with frequent great service into the city, giving guests freedom to go places without having to hire a car. We are in a quiet village that has a bit of everything without being in a big tourist resort.
The rooms are exactly what we say on the web site and show on photos and the definition of superior or deluxe made by guest is irrelevant. In any case guest should have questioned their room type and size to at least give us a chance to explain or show more rooms or offer alternative. Too late now.
We clearly state that we cater Cretan and Greek cuisine and the guest booked expecting English food. However, the staff did their best to offer alternatives when offensive comments were made for the food, but in vain. As all other reviews suggest there is always plenty of food locally sourced and that is the mere truth.
Mistral guests are not divided in repeaters and newbie’s. It is only when some people decide that they do not get on with others or that they are excluded that subgroups and sometimes cliques are formed. We do our best to ensure everyone mixes well but sometimes with personalities we can only go so far.
As for value for money. We run exclusive trips to our guests to keep the groups together and show people the real Crete that tourists never see. We offer free airport runs , free cold filtered water throughout, kettles and fridges in rooms , free cookery classes, free departure gift, free pool towels. Some selected free tours to festivities and music events that we do not even advertise anywhere and much more. Yet, seems not enough for some?
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maleme
Louis Creta Princess Beach Hotel
#1 of 31 in Agia Marina
Amalthia Beach Resort
Amalthia Beach Resort
#11 of 110 in Chania Town

Been to The Mistral? Share your experiences!