“Great concept”

The Mistral
Brighton
“Great concept”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I went with a friend but made many more....and I wouldn't hesitate to come back on my own. The room was great, the food fantastic and the trips were more than the usual impersonal resort trips as at least one member of staff comes with you. Particular memories are the fish lunch, dinner as a group in Chania and dancing and cocktails at the bar in the evening. I would recommend the little fun train trips... I know it sounds naff but it really isn't .. the pleasures of Greece one takes you to a monastery and up to mountain villages....
There were far more men than women but it depends what you want from a holiday.... at the end of the school year as a single parent... I wanted to rest and be looked after and to have some fun. I did all that and so the Mistral ticked all my boxes. A big thank you to all the staff who maintained their professionalism despite a couple of difficult characters this week (you know who you are ... or maybe you don't!)

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter.
1 Thank Bright0nJane

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I just returned from a week long stay at the Mistral, and I didn't want to leave when my week was up. I was very nervous about travelling so far by myself, but as soon as I was picked up from the airport with all my fellow soloists, all my worries went away. The staff at the Mistral really take the time to make sure you are well taken care of, and that all your needs are met such as diet restrictions, assistance with booking excursions. Donna at reception knew everyone's name by the next morning, and was very helpful with everything I needed including helping me with printing out my boarding passes for my trip home. Vassilis, Adonis, Kim, Alex, Mike, Vicky, and to the rest of the staff - THANK YOU for a vacation I will never forget, and I plan on returning next year!!

Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I have visited this hotel since 1995 and have seen the hotel grow. A small family run hotel with a very good service minded attitude towards the guests. The family make you feel very welcome and by the end of your stay , you will feel like part of a very large extended family, not just another guest.
Lots of trips are run by the hosts and give you that little extra personal touch when visiting new places.
The food is of great quality , produce is sourced locally.
3 Cheers to Vassillis and the rest of the Mistral team .

Baldock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Well, was pretty nervous about taking the plunge with my first solo trip.....I should never have worried. The Mistral meets you at the airport on a tuesday and provides a free transfer to the hotel (on tuesday only). Vasillis one of the owners picked us up at the airport (several others on the same flight) On arrival at the hotel was met by Donna, such a great welcome, was immediately made to feel at home.
This hotel is absolutely superb, very very clean, and the staff cant do enough to make sure you have a great stay.
There are two great pools, a larger one at the front of the hotel, and a smaller one between the main hotel block and the rear annexe.
The food served is without doubt some of the best I have ever had, plentiful and fresh. And the salads are amazing, as are some of the dishes available at lunchtime
The bar is situated at the front of the hotel by the larger pool. Staffed by some great guys, Thanks Gwirgos,Alex and Mike and not forgetting the evening dj skills of Andonis (one of the brothers who own the hotel)
The hotel does do exclusive Mistral only trips. I only managed three on this occasion. But I can Highly recommend the sunday evening meal trip to Hania harbour, great food, company and a beautiful sunset.
The Sfinari fish lunch and beach visit on a thursday is a definite highlight of the holiday and I would urge everyone to give this a go at least once....or twice if your there for two weeks.
All in all a great place to go, the age range is so varied and I had the pleasure to meet so many nice poeple.....that I hope to meet again.
And a special trip to Paleochora and a lunch in a nearby restaurant situated in a gorge woth some wonderful views (Thanks to another guest Brenda, for arranging that with the hotel ) x x
A visit to the nearby WW2 german cemetery is a must, sombre but has some great views of the coast
Many thanks to Vasillis, Adonis, Avra, Donna, Gwirgos, Alex, Mike, Vicky the chef, and all the cleaning staff for making my first singles holiday such a great one. And not forgetting all the people staying there at the same time as me .
I cannot praise the Mistral enough, see you all again soon.... Craig

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms at the rear are quieter, but get full sun in the afternoon so can get quite hot in the...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
England
Reviewed 26 July 2014

This was my first holiday on my own and like many in the same situation it was the evening meal which worried me. We all ate together and the food was delicious.
All the staff were helpful and friendly - it was incredible how Donna and Kim remembered everyone's names.
My deluxe room was at the side but still had a view of the sea and was quiet and clean. I needed the air conditioning after the first night.
We also had a group of Spanish solo travellers which made life interesting but the language barrier restricted us a bit.
It was easy to get into Chania on the bus and the many trips laid on were varied. Unfortunately we didn't have a chance to do the sailing trip but there is always a next time!
I could repeat what has been said in other reviews - it all holds true.
A big step for most of us to take and it was made so easy and everyone said that they felt safe and very brave!

Room Tip: Front facing rooms can have noise from the bar in the evening if you don't have a/c and go to be...
1 Thank dupressa
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

This was my second visit but this year I booked for 2 weeks. Outstanding service & a wonderful holiday. Nothing is too much trouble & Vassillis, Andonis, Donna, Avra & Alex really go the extra mile to make your holiday a wonderful experience. The Cretan food at the hotel is outstanding - three cheers for Vicky the chef! Rooms, guest areas & bar are all clean & welcoming, two pools & plenty of sun-beds. Alex is cocktail maker extraordinaire. A good selection of excursions are available & I can thoroughly recommend the famous fish lunch, evening in Chania & sailing day. Vassillis even arranged a free mini-bus service for several of us to go to a concert at an amphitheatre which was just wonderful.
I was so nervous about going solo last year but from the moment I landed in Crete I was looked after - all it takes is for you to say hello. I have met several people who I'm sure will be lifelong friends. Will I go back? Without a doubt!

• Stayed July 2014
Leicestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2014

This was my first time as a solo traveler abroad and I have nothing but good things to say about the management, staff and accommodation at the Mistral.

My Deluxe room, situated at the front of the hotel, had a fantastic sea view and was lovely and clean, with a high quality bed and sheets, which were changed every few days. I heard very little noise from this room. The food was fantastic and that comes from someone who was really worried about having a purely creten menu. The chef should write her book of recipes for those of us not so talented.

The hotel is not situated next to the best beach on the island but is only a short bus ride away from one if required. The hotel pools are lovely and the bar staff are so friendly and helpful. Donna on reception, is an asset to the hotel, with her friendly and her 'nothing is too much trouble' attitude.

Congratulations to the owners. They have a fantastic concept here for singles who want to travel abroad, for a competitive price and also allowing a single female travellers to feel safe. If you want a fantastic holiday, you will go along way to do any better than the Mistral. I looked on line at this hotel for a year before I was brave enough to book and wish I had done it earlier. Take my advise, you can't go wrong at the Mistral. Thank you very much to all.

Room Tip: Back rooms are away from the road and bar area are quiet but having stayed at the front of the hotel...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maleme
Louis Creta Princess Beach Hotel
#1 of 31 in Agia Marina
Amalthia Beach Resort
Amalthia Beach Resort
#12 of 110 in Chania Town

Been to The Mistral? Share your experiences!