“Fab!”
Review of The Mistral

The Mistral
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Sun, sea, excellent food (I have to diet yet again), the dancing, the bar, the pools, the wonderful friendly staff who genuinely care about their guests, the tears of laughter, the trips to tavernas for yet more lovely food and drink, the ambience and most of all two weeks of guaranteed rest and relaxation. This was my third visit and yet again it lived up to all my expectations. Thank you so much for a lovely holiday and if anyone has any doubts about visiting this wonderful place then don't. Its great for the single independent traveller especially if you are a woman. Its safe, secure and all the other guests are in more or less the same situation as you are. I was nervous the first time but since then just feel like I'm going home to a warm familiar place. Great. Ten out of ten. First class and worth every star.

Room Tip: If you want peace and quiet then choose a room at the back but it will get very hot and you won'...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Crediton1

Reviewed 13 August 2014

I wholeheartedly agree with all the positive reviews! It was based on them that I booked my first holiday with The Mistral and I was not disappointed!
Quality and excellence abound! The hotel, the staff, the food, the location, the service, the facilities - fantastic! I have experienced several solo holidays over the years, but have never felt so genuinely looked after from the moment I arrived.
It's no wonder so many people return year after year! When you've found the best, you forget the rest!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Suzette275
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Thank you, thank you, thank you... EVERYONE at The Mistral. This was my first visit to The Mistral and to Crete and I had the most wonderful two weeks with you all and shall return again.

The Mistral hotel is a perfect retreat for a relaxing holiday offering a very friendly atmosphere, sumptious organically home grown & home cooked food, very well-appointed rooms and two beautifully maintained pools with plenty of lovely sun-loungers with 2 inch thick mattresses.

The rooms are very well appointed so don't worry about taking a hair-dryer, iron or kettle as it is all there for you along with a supply of tea & coffee etc. and very good quality toiletries such as Shampoo/Conditioner, Shower Gel, Soap & Body Lotion. (By the way, if you forget any of your other items, don't worry as there is a small supermarket within a 5 minute walk of the hotel with a pretty good selection). On your balcony you have a washing line with pegs & a table and one or two chairs. The air-conditioning is very effective and has a remote control so you don't even have to get out of your lovely comfy bed to change any of the many settings if you need to during the night!

The bar & restaurant area is where most of the daily & evening activity happens; during the day Giorgio will look after you very well, try one of his Iced Coffees they are marvellous. Alex & Maik will look after you during the evenings, try their cocktails they are amazing. Alex & Maik will also serve your dinner at 8pm and always with a smile; they love what they do and it shows. The food is lovingly prepared and cooked by the very talented Vicky; I have never tried or eaten so many delicious vegetables, truly sumptuous! It's all home & organically grown in the Hotel's garden, Adonis you are a true master!

If you are thinking of travelling alone for the first time and you are worried about being alone, please don't be. Everyone staying at the Mistral is in the same boat and you will soon get to know your fellow guests and you can socialise as much or as little as you wish.
The best way of descibing the whole Mistral experience is that it's like being at a 'House Party' in a large villa.... absolutely fabulous!

Donna, Adonis & Vassilis organise many trips for you to choose from if you wish to get out and about, they are well priced and great fun, it's also a good way of getting to know your fellow guests better. I can thoroughly recommend the Yaching Day and the Falarsarn Beach & Sfinari Fish Lunch.
One evening Vassilis arranged to take us to a concert which was held at a beautiful open-air Amphitheatre, it wasn't on their usual list of trips but was laid on specially for those of us wanting to go. It was a truly memorable evening, mixing with the locals and listening to traditional Greek music in a beautiful setting, far off the tourist trail. Thank you Vassilis, Adonis & Maik for taking us, we appreciated it very much.
On another evening, a Greek night was put on for us; tradtional Cretan Music and Dances were performed and Vassilis together with his son, daughter and Dimitris also danced for us... Well done, it was wonderful to watch. There was of course some plate smashing followed by some of us trying to do their dance moves! and of course we all danced to 'Zorba The Greek' music and reeled through into the bar to collect a quick tipple of Raki along the way.... great, great fun, thank you.

If you wish to venture out on your own or with your new friends, the small village is within walking distance of the hotel, as is the beach. Or you can take a bus ride along the coast to any of the villages or go into Hania Old Town, it takes about 30 minutes and costs 2.30 Euros. In Hania you will find lovely quaint cobbled streets with an abundance of little shops selling good quality leather and beautiful unusually designed jewellery, all locally made. The harbour is so pretty with many restaurants to choose from or you can take a horse and buggy ride around the sights of the town.
Should you prefer to go there by taxi, Donna can organise this for you and it will cost around 25 Euros each way, so if there are a few of you sharing it's worth doing for quickness and not having to carry your shopping bags home !

My heariest thanks to Vassilis & Adonis for providing such a wonderful and safe place for us single travellers to holiday, your concept at The Mistral is truly amazing.
The staff you have looking after your guests are 'Second to None'; Donna taking care of Organisation & Reception, Alex & Maik taking care of us during the evenings, Girogio during the day, Kim & Dimitris on days out, not forgetting of course Vicky & her kitchen staff feeding us so lovingly and the ladies who look after the rooms & communal areas so spotlessly. They all do an amazing job, thank you ALL.

Am I convincing you 'Readers' that you should visit this lovely hotel?... good because you should go there and experience it for yourself. I will be going back for sure.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear and side of the hotel are quieter than those overlooking the pool area which have...
2  Thank Angela M
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I had read such glowing reports about this hotel that I couldn't wait to go. It wasn't cheap though, in fact I've never paid so much for a holiday so I was expecting it to be perfect. I booked 8 months before I was due to go and asked for a ground floor room,as I have a curved spine and a replacement hip, I received an email stating that they'd taken a note of my request, when I got there I was put on the first floor. I was then told that they hadn't any ground floor rooms available. Later in the week I spoke to someone who'd booked 5 months after me, she was on the ground floor. I soon realised that returning travellers got preferential treatment. I was also told that the owners was so lovely, you felt as though you were a part of their family, On Greek night the owner came round the table clinking everyone's glasses and saying Yammas ( cheers) as I'm on strong pain killers I can't drink so I raised my glass of water to his, he immediately said "I don't do water" and moved on to the next person!! I was so angry, how rude is that? There were other things that I wasn't happy with regarding the meals, there was no choice and it was served at 8pm which was too late for me.

Suffice to say I won't be going back, I was ready to come home at the end of my holiday.

The hotel was very pretty but not near anything, other than a garage and a supermarket, if you want to look round shops or go to a nice restaurant you have to catch a local bus into Chania. I would stay in Chania next time I go to Crete...

Room Tip: The bar was open till 2am and as the hotel is small the noise travelled, I slept with earplugs every...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Kathryn S
Reviewed 3 August 2014

This year was my first holiday at The Mistral and first visit to Crete. I couldn't have asked for more!.
The staff were amazing and offered a very personal service and nothing was too much trouble. Time at the hotel felt more like a house party than a hotel with such a great atmosphere. The excursions offered were excellent value and gave you the opportunity to see beautiful parts of the island and as you were always in small groups it was easy to ask questions about the island.
Great to meet and make new friends and if ever want to travel on my own again I would certainly head back to The Mistral.
I would certainly recommend to anyone who wants to have a great holiday.

1  Thank Julie W
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I went with a friend but made many more....and I wouldn't hesitate to come back on my own. The room was great, the food fantastic and the trips were more than the usual impersonal resort trips as at least one member of staff comes with you. Particular memories are the fish lunch, dinner as a group in Chania and dancing and cocktails at the bar in the evening. I would recommend the little fun train trips... I know it sounds naff but it really isn't .. the pleasures of Greece one takes you to a monastery and up to mountain villages....
There were far more men than women but it depends what you want from a holiday.... at the end of the school year as a single parent... I wanted to rest and be looked after and to have some fun. I did all that and so the Mistral ticked all my boxes. A big thank you to all the staff who maintained their professionalism despite a couple of difficult characters this week (you know who you are ... or maybe you don't!)

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter.
1  Thank Bright0nJane
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I just returned from a week long stay at the Mistral, and I didn't want to leave when my week was up. I was very nervous about travelling so far by myself, but as soon as I was picked up from the airport with all my fellow soloists, all my worries went away. The staff at the Mistral really take the time to make sure you are well taken care of, and that all your needs are met such as diet restrictions, assistance with booking excursions. Donna at reception knew everyone's name by the next morning, and was very helpful with everything I needed including helping me with printing out my boarding passes for my trip home. Vassilis, Adonis, Kim, Alex, Mike, Vicky, and to the rest of the staff - THANK YOU for a vacation I will never forget, and I plan on returning next year!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maleme
Louis Creta Princess Beach Hotel
#1 of 12 in Kolymbari
Minoa Palace Resort
Minoa Palace Resort
#1 of 68 in Platanias

Been to The Mistral? Share your experiences!