“Thalassographia: Makes for a wonderful evening”
Review of Thalassographia

Thalassographia
Ranked #60 of 377 Restaurants in Rethymnon
Price range: US$6 - US$24
Cuisines: Greek, Italian, Mediterranean, International, Bar, Grill, Wine Bar
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 18 June 2014

My fiancee, her parents, and myself dined here on a beautiful Cretan evening in early June to celebrate my father-in-law's birthday. We were looking for a special place for the occasion and Thalassographia fit the bill.

You'll note that across the way there is a row of restaurants on street level right on the ocean. I investigated these earlier in the day when scouting locations and determined that the higher views afforded by Thalassographia would be nicer, whcih was confirmed over dinner.

Service was friendly and prompt. Prices were very reasonable (about the same as what you'd pay to the tourist traps in the old town, some of whom have the nerve to serve frozen vegetables). My fellow diners enjoyed their respective dishes of lamb, chicken, and pork. I tried octopus for the first time and liked it, but was a little bemused that it didn't some with a side dish. That is the only reason I didn't rate the restaurant as excellent, as I'm a growing boy and need more on my plate. So if you go for octopus, get some mezze or Greek salad on the side. The 500ml bottle of ice-cold Fix (Greek beer) and raki were also nice for washing down the meal.

Notes: arrive after 7 so that you can be there to watch the sunset. As it gets darker, the restaurants takes on a new ambiance.

If you're a party of 4, look for a table which has the sofa seats, they were enjoyed by the ladies in our group.

I also strongly recommend this spot for a candlelit romantic dinner for two. Guys, you'll thank me :)

1  Thank Factchecker4

Reviewed 10 June 2014

For a truly memorable meal with a view to match this taverna takes some beating. The food here is imaginative whilst still remaining true to its Cretan roots. Choosing a table overlooking the sea (book if the view is important to you) certainly adds enormously to the whole dining experience and this, added to the friendliness of the staff, guarantees a meal to remember.
Just as an aside, the house white wine is particularly good.

2  Thank William W
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Fabulous location for dinner looking out over the Mediterranean sea. Service was good and the food was okay. We had dacros ( shop bought crunchy biscuits with feta and tinned tomatoes) and filo pastry cheese parcels for starters. For us it was too much cheese. We had the fresh sea bream for our main course and this was cooked and served simply with minimum garnish which was ideal for us. The fish was slightly overcooked but still delicious. Very good value for money.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

Try to visit the forteza before dining to build up an appetite. The view is amazing and a very romantic spot, I might add. You simply have to try as many dishes as you can, in order to appreciate its cuisine. Don't expect meat though, just fish and fruits of the sea, specialties, as described by its name Thalassographia (pictures of the sea). Reasonable prices.

3  Thank Margie M
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We had a freshly cooked and reasonably priced lunch at this outdoor restaurant near the Fortezza, enjoying the seaside view from a cliffside setting. The food was good and the staff were welcoming, efficient and friendly.

3  Thank angiro