“My favourite harbour tavern” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Erotokritos Restaurant

Erotokritos Restaurant
Ranked #182 of 338 Restaurants in Rethymnon
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Groups, Kids
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: In the old port of Rethymno, just by the sea, with a view to the vast blue, the picturesque fish boats and the diachronic lighthouse, lies the fish restaurant Erotokritos. Since 1967 up today remains faithful to the Greek cuisine and stands out as one of the most flavorsome places of the island. In a beautiful place with main characteristic luxury and elegance, enjoy different kinds and dainties accompanied with wine and juices made of fresh fruits, coffees, cocktails. Taste the delicious salads and fish salads, various appetizers, seafood of all kinds. Specialties: lobster spaghetti, rise with different kinds of seafood and fillets served with delicious sauces. Enjoy your food accompanied with one of the most brilliant wines included in the wine cellar of Erotokritos.
N Ireland
“My favourite harbour tavern”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

I stayed in Rethymnon and I dined in a few other places during my holiday. This tavern was my favourite for the week and I dined here with friends and solo occasionally.
The location at the harbour is just perfect, lovely views and most important a welcoming team at the tavern serving delicious food.
Niko, Claude and Rocco are the front of house team. Niko presents the menu and will discuss all the dishes and will offer variations of sauce , vegetables or choice of meat or fish. I tried many different dishes and I was delighted with the presentation and taste.
One evening I choose the lobster and yes it was expensive but the menu states price clearly and I made the choice. I was not disappointed. It looked impressive and tasted so nice.
I introduced several people from my hotel to visit and they were delighted with the delicious food they chose. They plan to return with friends another time.
Dining is a very competitive business in this resort, there are so many restaurants along the harbour and beach. It is wonderful to find staff who know about the products, sauces and vegetables to compliment the dishes. I find it very helpful to have advice and I can then choose to change if I wish.
The food is freshly cooked for each table so enjoying the view with.a glass of wine and nibbles under shade is a lovely way to wait for that special plate to appear.
I hope you will enjoy dining there as much as I did.
I recommend this place to eat.Enjoy the welcoming atmosphere and the attentive staff and come home with lovely memories of delicious tasty food in a beautiful location.

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank margaret010

• Greek first
New York Mills, New York
“πολυ καλο”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

Very good restaurant by the venetian harbour.Very nice view you can eat fresh local fish and taste fruits of the sea

• Visited July 2013
3 Thank Νικος Φ
Armitage, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food and service - don't let negative reviews put you off!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

We originally wanted to dine at Zefyros as it is displayed as number 1 on Tripadvisor but it was closed. As it was a quiet Sunday evening towards the end of the holiday season we opted to dine a couple of doors away at Erotokritos which was still open. As such we were able to be seated at the water front. The service was excellent. A bottle of water arrived at the table promptly, although we hadn't ordered it we didn't mind. Bread, olives and dip also arrived shortly after. We felt the waiter was a bit pushy in recommending fish dishes before we had a chance to look at the menu. However, when the food arrived it was fantastic,

For starter we had two jumbo prawns in ouzo sauce with rice which were presented exquisitely with part shell removed leaving succulent tender prawn easy to dip in the best sauce I have ever tried in my life. We then had two jumbo prawns grilled served with delicious vegetables and a divine beurre blanc type sauce to pour over the prawns. As I didn't want vegetables they did me a salad instead,.

I had a glass of house wine which was of excellent quality. My partner ordered a gin and tonic which had an over generous quantity of gin in it and when I explained she was driving and only wanted a very small amount of gin they immediately replaced it with another one. Nothing was too much trouble and the attention to detail was appreciated even the finger bowl was presented with two flower petals for decoration.

A couple of days later we dined at Zefyros to compare and although it was ok I would describe their food as average. The Jumbo prawns at Erotokritos were in a far tastier sauce and not so sickly creamy like at Zefyros., If Zefyros had not been closed we would never have tried Erotokritos, which is far superior. The fish is equally as expensive wherever you go. We initially thought Erotokritos was expensive but when comparing what we had to Zefyros we felt we had a much better deal at Erotokritos.

The problem with Tripadvisor is that everyone tends to flock to the top one but without trying the other establishments don't realise what they are missing out on. I hope people start to realise this and give other establishments a go to at least compare and make an informed decision and leave a balanced review.

• Visited October 2013
8 Thank ilmarchigian0
Wolverhampton
“We were victims - avoid unless you don't care about being cheated!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

Unless you don't care about money, avoid this place. We initially ignored the waiter from Eritokritos who had tried to lure us to dine there but on finding Zefryos closed and being late evening with other restaurants closing we decided to dine at Eritokritos. The waiter oozed charm. He brought a bottle of table water over even though we hadn't ordered any. Bread and olives also arrived promptly which we didn't order but were charged for. We were trying to decide what to have from the menu but the waiter was insistent in persuading us to order off the main menu. He discussed shrimps and lobster and won us over with the shrimp idea. Admittedly the food and service was great but the price was not. We paid 80 euro which seemed an awful lot for a glass of wine and four large shrimps. He asked if we wanted to pay cash or card. We foolishly paid cash and although he briefly showed us the receipt he didn't give it us. When we got back to our hotel we casually mentioned about how expensive our meal had been and when we explained what we had eaten he told us we had been cheated and asked if we had kept our receipt in which case we could call the Police. Unfortunately we explained the waiter didn't give us the receipt (clever waiter) so we couldn't prove anything. Apparently there is a new law that states if you don't get a receipt you don't have to pay. My advice is if you are paying a lot of money for food keep your receipt and pay by card at least then you have evidence. Also don't be lured in to their scam like us. Stick with want you want and don't go off menu unless you get a price for the fish in writing in advance. I would hate for others to be ripped off in a similar manner. It's such ashame you have to be so wary when thinking of dining out. As a last resort if you are unhappy, threaten to call the Police, perhaps a few customers like that might start to change the attitude of these scammers who target tourists knowing full well they can get away with it as new potential victims arrive every day.

• Visited September 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Eureka06
Somerset
“Erotokritos deserves a higher ranking”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

We ate here twice and the quality of the fish and shellfish was excellent, with good preparation and cooking and some delicious sauces. It is worth listening to the off-menu suggestions as the staff know what fish and shellfish are available and good. Service is helpful and attentive. Yes,we know they are salesmen, but they do it well and without pressure. Wine was also good. It is not cheap,but the setting and ambience are excellent. Good for a relaxing evening with some very tasty food in a relaxed setting.

• Visited September 2013