“Best service ever!!!”
Review of Afroditi Hotel

Afroditi Hotel
Ranked #3 of 46 Rethymnon B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 August 2012

We stayed unfortunately only one night during the summer of 2011 but I must write for this experience!

Let's start with the service... UNBELIEVABLE! Mr. Yiannis (the owner) when we called him to confirm that we were arriving he offered to come and pick us up from the bus station (we were coming from Chania)! This was only the begginning...
He came with a big smile help us with our luggage and drove is to his hotel which is 1' walking distance from everything but in a quiet street.
He offered us fresh fruits, 6 pack with big mineral water have been placed in the room already (complimentary) and Mr. Yiannis also offered us one bottle of wine (red or white)!
He even offered umbrelas and sunbeds to take on the beach!!!
He was always available to help us and you can understand that he enjoys what he is doing.

Room was like a big house with fridge, full kitchen, big table with chairs, bathtub and even a washing machine!
Bed was comfortable and everything was clean clean clean!

Price was extremely cheap for what you get...

Recommended 100%

P.S. If every owner was like Mr. Yiannis Greece would be by far No1 in tourism! Thank you for the great hospitality! We can't wait to return!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 August 2012

Very nice place to stay. Hotel has good position - not far from the beach and in one of the narrow streets of old Rethymnon. Rooms - nicely furnished, cleanliness, everything was above our expectations thanks to the care and hospitality of Mr. Yannis and his beautiful wife. Very amazing experience, we felt like on a visit at the family. Thank you, we wish everything the best to this hotel and nice people who run it.

Reviewed 29 July 2012

This place has to be the best value ever! We received a studio room with kitchenette, washing machine. It was close to the old town. Yannis was extremely helpful in planning our days, preparing to leave, ordering us taxis when needed. Would definitely stay there again.

Reviewed 26 July 2012

What really makes this hotel special is the hospitality of its host - Yannis. He provided us with fruit and wine every day, along with great maps, travel directions, suggestions for restaurants and just generally good cheer. We had some wonderful conversations with him about Greece as well, and when we left he gave us Crete souvenirs as gifts.

The accommodations were spacious and very comfortable, and our young son really liked the loft bed (though I wouldn't recommend it for really young children since the ladder to the loft is fairly steep, and the space may be a bit tight for larger adults as well). The room even comes with a washing machine. Plus the location is really good - located in a pedestrian zone (during the evenings) and only a few minutes walk from the beach.

The only tricky part is the parking because you have to park 150 meters away in a public lot (free to Afroditi guests) and it took us a couple of times to figure out how best to get in and out of Rethymno.

All in all, easily one of the best places we've ever stayed in all of our travels. If we were to visit Rethymno again, we would definitely stay here. It was a wonderful experience.

2  Thank wuppertaler
Reviewed 22 July 2012

The Afroditi is in a fantastic location and is a great place to stay. The building used to be used by the French embassy and Studio rooms include kitchenette and washing machines. The rooms include good quiet and free air conditioning.

Yannis who runs Afroditi could not be more helpful. We had a really enjoyable holiday on Crete for 10 days and suggest hiring a car so that you can make the most of the island (not least because the beaches outside of the town have a lot more character). You can find free parking spaces on the other side of the fortress.

I would recommend staying here. Afroditi is in the middle of the old town with some great places to eat only minutes away- it is also only 3 minutes from the beach for those not adventurous enough to go further afield.

Room Tip: We stayed in 2 different rooms for the 10 nights that we were in the Afroditi and both were really n...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mark_Rafael
Reviewed 19 July 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights and booked an apartment with a seaview.
We had a rental car and was worried it could be difficult to park near the hotel, so I emailed Yannis, the hotel's owner and he immediately responded with a map of a parking lot near the hotel where the hotel had some spaces. It was really useful and we found it right away, and it was just 5 minutes away from the hotel.
The building is located at the corner of the city's main shopping street and a smaller one, but there is no noise and the larger street is not open to cars in the evening. We had a balcony overlooking it and it was great to people watch. The seaview is not much as it is over the roof of the building in front.
The bed was very hard but I guess it depends to one's tastes so I won't complain on that.
The room itself was very big and the furniture was nice. The kitchen was very well appointed and Yannis gave us fresh fruits, water, OJ and wine which was a very nice touch. A/C worked well (it was over 35 degrees outside).
My main gripes were with housekeeping. There was no bath rug so the floor would get wet and slippery after a shower, and the girl cleaning the rooms did not once clean it... it got quite dirty after 2 days so I cleaned it myself.The sheets had some yellow stains but the stains looked old so I guessed they had been cleaned but the stains would not go... but at least it wasn't dirty (I liked to think). The last night, as we uncovered the bed spread, we saw that the sheets had been taken away but no replaced. We searched the room for sheets or blankets but could find none. Reception closes at night and we didn't want to call Yannis in the middle of the night so we slept dressed with our towels on the bed. They style themseleves as "Luxury Suites", but this really is unexcusable!
The building itself is very nice but I am sure there are much better options in Rethymno. I feel sorry saying that as Yannis was really nice, but he might want to get things under control as it could be perfect if supervised.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank sbercher
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Take it for what it's worth, but it's true. I would not have even created an account to review the other hotels on our Grecian vacation if it was not for this place, but I simple had to tell everyone what an amazing place this was.

My wife and I got off of the ferry in Heraklion and high-tailed it to Rethymnon, but it was already a bit late. The owner (and his daughter) were up waiting for us -- they weren't going to leave for the night until we checked in.

They took us up to the room, and this room was absolutely PALATIAL. I mean, as someone who has seen my share of Home and Garden television shows, I have never seen a room as exquisite as this. The owner thought that we might be hungry, so he had a fruit plate made up for us and waiting in the fridge (complimentary). He asked if we preferred red or white wine, and he had it brought up to our room immediately -- again, complimentary!

The location was fantastic -- just a one-block(ish) walk to the main Rethymnon strip and waterfront. I mean, if you leave the room. Because the room.. was... AMAZING. And the hospitality! The Greeks (seemingly) pride themselves on their hospitality, and we experienced it all over the islands.. but this guy, and I exaggerate absolutely nil, took the cake. He was the sweetest, most helpful, kindest owner (or manager) that we encountered, and even though we only spent one day in Rethymnon, I would absolutely visit this place over and over and over.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple