“Simply excellent”

Theartemis Palace Hotel
Ranked #13 of 165 Hotels in Rethymnon
“Simply excellent”
Reviewed 30 June 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Theartemis Palace for two weeks for our honeymoon. Nice location and nice, clean room. Food was just great! Staff was polite and helpfull.
About only thing that made a little shadow over our trip was other guests total ignorance of dressing code in restaurants. People were even at dinner with wet swimsuits! Dress code said clearly that no one should wear swimsuits in restaurant at any meal and men should have long trousers (not shorts) at dinner. I was wondering that why the staff in restaurant didn't say anything to anyone.
We were on all-inclusive trip, and everything went smoothly. Food was a bit too good and now I have to loose gained extra weight. :-)
Rethymno is great city with very nice old town and road next to beach is so nice in the evening.
We will definatelly be using the same hotel next time we visit Crete! Maybe next year? :-)

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank 610samuliv

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 25 June 2013

This is a bit hard review to write, so I will write it in three parts. Room 1, Room 2, and the rest of the hotel.

Room 1:
We had ordered a Suite and had of course high hopes as this is a four star hotel (At Least from our travel agency).
We arrived at a room in very dark red and brown colours. Heavy red curtains, red floor, brown furniture etc. Making it look like it was from the seventies or earlier.
It consisted of two rooms, one bedroom, and one other with a sofa, a table and some chairs and a cabinet with a refrigerator (which was empty :( ). There were one AC unit in each room, cooling the whole suite with ease.
The balcony was east facing meaning that there were only sun from about 6am to 10am, so no use in hoping to get tanned on the balcony if you do not want to go to the beach, or is not early enough for a bed by the pool.

The TV was really small, 28 inches or something, and with a broken CRT, making the picture drunk.

The bathroom were lit by a very blue light, making us look ghastly blue-white and sick, and the jacuzzi were a tad bit small, but as expected.

All these small things made us complaint at the room, as we did not feel this was a worthy of being a suite, nor our money. A suite should provide extra luxury, not just another room... The girl in the reception was understanding (We were probably not the first ones...) and she said we most likely had to wait until the next day for the room manager to come back to work.
We went out to the town to get some food, and check out the surroundings.
When we came back there was a note under our door to contact the reception. We did, and got offered a new room as they have "had a cancellation".

Room 2:
The new room was fantastic!
It too consisted of two rooms, but they both were about one and a half times larger than the former room. It had an enormous balcony (Pictures on the adjacent, smaller one on their web page) with own sun beds, sofa, chairs, a table etc. The balcony also had sun from about 6am to 8pm-ish, perfect if you want to just relax in the sun without moving to the beach. The bathroom were probably something like 3*6 meters with a larger jacuzzi than the previous room. The refrigerator wasn't a minibar here neither, but it atleast contained two bottles of water, and got water refill daily.
The TV was a 38 inch flat screen functioning as it should.

This room gave us the luxury we wanted with a suite, and was worth the four stars the hotel has.

Rest of the hotel:
The rest of the hotel was quite nice. The outside and facade was nice, clean and inviting.
The lobby was all marble and was everything as expected.
One odd thing when we were guided to our «Room1» was that we were going through about three elevators. One from the elevated first floor the lobby was down to the floor with the pool, then from the pool down one floor to a subterranean tunnel which lead us under the road to the B building.. This building is not connected to the main building other than by this tunnel.
The dining area was also separated into two rooms. One smaller, and one larger. The smaller one did not feel as grandeur as the larger one, so it was a bit odd that the suite guests were sent to the small one. But then again, there were no children in the small one, so that was a great plus..
The pool was nice enough with sunbeds and parasols.
The entertainment by the evening was OK. DJ one night, belly dancing one, local music, dancers etc. etc.

The bar had very nice personnel, being very service minded, and friendly and giving free rum shots to us. Very nice.

All in all, with the room change, this was a very good experience, and we really enjoyed it.

But stay away from the suites unless you get room 138.

Room Tip: Stay away from the suites unless you get suite 138.
3 Thank espenfjo
Godalming, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2013

I went to meet friends who were staying at another hotel in Rethymon. Theartemis palace could not have been better. The staff were very welcoming and friendly. The room was excellent with a big balcony overlooking the pool area. The room was very clean along with the rest of the hotel. The food was good. It was only five minutes walk to the beach area. I would definitely go back to Theartemis Palace again

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Sonja S
Market Weighton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Just got back from a fortnight at the Theartemis Palace Hotel. We have visited this hotel on numerous occasions now and it just gets better and better. The food and the quality of the entertainment is excellent, not to mention all of the staff who are very polite and attentive to all your needs. We can honestly say that we have never been disappointed and would not consider going to any other hotel in Crete. Return guests are made especially welcome as the hotel prides itself on it's return visitor policy. We are now looking forward to returning again in October this year

Room Tip: Ask for the main hotel overlooking the pool area
2 Thank Keith B
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2013

May 2013, Stayed for 2 weeks in a superior double room facing the pool, My wife and I really enjoyed the experience. the room was very clean, along with the rest of the hotel, the staff were friendly, the food was good. meal times did get busy somedays but so what.
The entertainment was ok and stopped around 11 at night so no problem sleeping.
The beach is very near, the resort is great (watch the pavements for obstacles) we will go back im sure.
If only to see the 2 barmen who helped to make our time there memorable
Ps I do not have shares but wish I did.

Room Tip: Read reports of road noise, pool noise, glad we chose the pool side we felt part of the hotel and th...
1 Thank Harkeri1957
Reviewed 9 May 2013

I travelled alone on april 25th.
When i arrived i Was afraid my room wouldnt be good enough Even though i had booked all inclusive. The lobby Was great, really big with sitting areas and with a big balcony with a view so you could see the pool and restaurants at the area downstairs.
I checked in and got a room in the first floor. When i took the elevator up to my floor my room card did not work so i had to go back down to the reception, this happened to me 3 times and i Was pissed because i had to carry my luggage with me everytime i had to go back but when i finally got into my room it Was wonderfull and up to date. Clean with towels, shampoo, showergel, balcony and a hairdryer. I Was happy but at night i started to know that my room wasnt that great Even though it looked great. My aircondition did not work, at night it Was so cold and i tried to put on the heat but i wouldnt work so the next day my throat Was soar and i felt like i Was going to be sick Even though it Was really hot during daytime so i complained because the internet/ wifi did not Even work. I stayed in the room for 3 days then they changed and upgraded my room to a bigger room with balcony view so i could see the whole hotel in second floor. The staff Was super Nice and friendly. They really wanted me to have a good stay so did everything in their power to fix everything for me. They Even brought a technichian to the hotel so they could fix the wifi in my new room. They wired up my laptop and connected it to the hotell ip
adress. What more could i Ask for. I love this hotell now because the treated me like a princess. Michalis and Ari made me feel really special so did the supervisor Angelica, stelios the vaitor and the managers family Nicho, wife Eva and their two beautiful daughters.
On my fifth day i broke my foot on the beach because i Was driving the waterscooter and fell of really bad. You cant Even imagine how the hotell staff treated me, they brought me food to my room, didnt made me feel alone or isolated at all. When i Was really tired
walking with my crutches one if them Carried me up to and down from my room to the pool area.
I am so missing them and i will go back as soon as my foot is good to go.
Other than the hotell the beach is close to the hotell, 5 minutes walk, If you want to Lie on the sunbed on the beach it costs 3.50 euro pr day and for the whole week its 13 euro. The waterscooter costs 50 euro but i got it half price, so i payed 25 euro and i did it once pr day. They also have parajumping wich costs 70 euro but i got it for 50 euro because i Was the first person who did it in the beginning of the season. The guards at the beach take really care of you and your stuff while you are busy with water sports. I felt safe Even during night time. Take precausions like watch you'r handbag and over Nice people who wants to Get to know you but other than that this is a great place to travel. Even though i Was alone i didnt feel lonely at all.
If you want to go shopping the old town is a 15 minutes walk but it dies not feel like 15 minutes when you walk from the hotel to old town because there is a lot to see when you walk.
If you want to go out at night to have a drink, Livingroom is the best place with good music for young people. The bartenders are super good looking and nice. This is not a night club just a place with music and good drinks Even If you dont drink alcohol. Then there is metropolis and estrada and some other nightclubs in the same road beside the harbour. Its really nice at the harbour with lots of restaurants and cafes, i had ice cream at nuvel which is a fancy place at the harbour. I didnt Get a chance to do much because i broke my foot but im definitely going back. I stayed 4 days more,
totaly 13 days because i Was injured but the hotell staff took really good care of me. I met a lot of different and interesting people from around the world but i can tell you this much If you are young and are looking for a place to party this is not the hotell for you but If you want to relax and have a good time this place is the best. But the staff told me that in summer time its crazy there with young people so i am glad i travelled in april and came back the first week in may.
I got to know all who worked there and they Even cried when i left.. They did not want me to leave, so i made lots of friends.
One thing i have to mention us that the day i came back, my last day 5 th may, they had easter celebration, the barbequed a whole lam and served it for lunch, i Was invited to the managers
family table to have lunch. There Was live Greek music and they danced, i wanted too and the Carried me up but it Was difficult cause of my foot so i sat down again. Here is shocker, they throw
dinner plates onn the floor when they celebrate and dance. They told me they do it because they are happy and when there is big celebrations like easter or weddings.. And Every night there is some kind of entertainment, there Was karaoke, bellydance, a magician, dance night with a dj.

I almost forgot the most imoortant thing THE FOOD!!! The food Was excellent.. Every day there Was something different, salads, warm food, cold food , you name it, they had everything in the buffer. Desserts was amazing. Dessert table Looked like a feast!! There is a lot more to say but this is enough for now. I love this place and the staff. They are waiting for me to come back and im definitely going back for sure!!!

• Stayed April 2013
4 Thank Oslof84
Trowbridge
Reviewed 28 April 2013

I have just spent a week at the hotel & cannot find anything negative to say about it.
The rooms are excellent & very up to date.
The hot buffet breakfast gives lots of choice as does the dinner buffet.
The staff are extremely good & very friendly.

Room Tip: Probably better to have a room overlooking the pool rather than the road.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo