“Lovely -IF you stay clear of the annex..!”

Theartemis Palace Hotel
Ranked #14 of 175 Hotels in Rethymnon
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Just finished a week at this hotel which was very nice. Al though it is crucial what part of the hotel you stay in. Make sure you stay clear of the annex!! This side building is more like a 2-star hotel, wether you booked a suite or standard room. The room looked nothing like the pictures..! This is where my boyfriend and I ended up at first. We went back to the front desk and received very good service and the next morning we got a room in the main building instead. This room was wonderful, we even got a big private terrace!
Breakfast was fine, but the system of waiters going around serving coffee is not working. Unless you seek them up yourself -you'll be waiting a long time..
Over all it's a nice hotel and service at front desk is excellent. But if the standard of the rooms are as different as here they need to be more clear about this on the website. It was a nice stay but I would not go back.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Julia C

Reviewed 2 July 2014

From start to finish, I cannot fault the two week holiday that we had here. Admittedly, it was RIGHT at the start of the 'season' and all the staff had just come back to work after their 5 month break. However, their enthusiasm was such that I can't imagine that it would wane too much as the season progresses.

My 9 year old son and I had one of the newly refurbished rooms with a balcony overlooking the pool (as I requested) and a welcome basket and cold cuts platter greeted us on arrival. This was all beautifully presented.

I had actually booked a twin room but we had a room with a double bed and a day-bed that was also a single, which my son used. This was better than expected and the bed was incredibly comfortable. The room was clean, the furniture well presented and the fixtures and fittings were to a high standard.

The staff were fabulous - from reception through to the restaurant and bar staff. We had the same maid nearly the whole two weeks who obviously worked very hard as our room was spotless every day.

There are 3 pools and a jacuzzi in the hotel grounds. The main pool on the main site is unheated. However, the pools and jacuzzi in the annexe were heated in April and were the perfect introduction to the water whilst the air temperature increased.

The hotel is less that 5 minutes away from the seafront, which was just beginning to 'open' for the season whilst we were there. The beach was gorgeous and the sea was the clearest blue water I have seen since being in Australia!

Of note is that we were all inclusive and the staff are more than happy to pack a packed lunch for you if you are going on a day trip. You do need to book it by 12pm the previous day and they sometimes ask for a 10 euro deposit for the cool bag.

The variety of food was more than sufficient to please everybody and the salad ALWAYS fresh. The desserts were extremely yummy too.

All in all, a fantastic holiday and I would definitely go there again.

One more thing, the Guest Relations were fantastic too - always looking out for the kids and making sure that they were happy and safe.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We booked Theartemis through Monarch / Cosmos holidays.
2 adults and a 5 year old - Half Board
When we looked at it on line via the holiday company AND the hotels website it looked good. Great reviews on Tripadvisor assisted.
We arrived under our own steam from the airport, so no clamber to check in with other coach members.
Big surprise for me was that it's so close to the town. Even though I had Google Mapped and look at their website I did not get the impression it was in such an ... urban surround.
The main entrance is right on the Rethymnon main road (though buses offload and car parking spots are on a side road with equally as good access to the hotel).

Having been on a few international business trips I had a feeling there was a corporate feel to the hotel and so it proved when we saw one or two conventions...it was also used in some format for a wedding, we saw a bride get in a car anyway!.

Reception is huge, with lots of sofas for bus waiting and access to a balcony overlooking the main pool.

Check in was easy and swift. Staff are English speaking (plus other languages)
Our bags were taken for us to the room and we were offered a light cold meal as we had arrived after set meal times.
The room was good - NOT what you see on the website though - those are the updated and special rooms - but still good. Some knocks and scrapes on the wardrobe paintwork but otherwise spacious for the three of us.
Positives - space, fridge, safe, large sofa bed for daughter to sleep on, balcony with furniture, air conditioning, plenty of hangars, clean bathroom with condoments (!), pretty good sound proofing from the other rooms, though we did hear some noise from family next door it wasn't excessive or lasting.
Negatives - the little silver fish that was crawling under my daughters sheets the first night I pulled them back & the subsequent one I stood on (never to be mentioned again as they freak my wife out), no kettle (and condoments) safe was €25 for the 9 days we were there, pathetic shower head with intermittent hot water.

The hotel is laid out on an "r" shape with receiption in the long part. Our room 342 was in the top bit of the "r" overlooking the street on the other side. Rooms on the opposite side of the corridor would have pool views.
BUT there is a second section to the hotel. It's nearer the sea but to get to it from reception requires a walk past the pool , down in a lift, under a road in a tunnel, before coming up the other side. Its called the annex.
Not sure I'd be keen on that trek every day but there is a pool and gym over there.

Down the main lift form our floor took us to the reception/shop/jeweller on ground and floor level -1 was access to the pool. (Lower than that were toilets and a spa though never saw it open and somewhere is an indoor pool but not sure were...maybe the annex)

The pool is adequate for all levels of swimmer and a kids pool at the top end was good for my little girl. It;s cleaned every mornign while you breakfast.

Plenty of working sunbeds and umbrellas. Not much of the "towel" marking going on but this was not main season so it would be inetresting to see what it's like in August.

Pleanty of other seating outside away from the pool which was also used at breakfast and dinner as the dining room was just indoors running almost the length, right under reception.
A bar at one end and a snack bar at the other, drinks were easily available. We were half board so had to pay for drinks but the prices were comparable with any restaurant/bar we tried in town, we didn't feel stiffed.
Only downside on that though, is drinks at meal times WATER was also charged €1.9 for a bottle of Theartemis table water (though if you didn't finish it at dinner you put in in your fridge in the room!) but I disagree with having to pay for even the most basic of drinks H2O/ Aqua/ Water, Ive been in cheaper hotels and had free water at dinner.

Food was....wait for it......brilliant. Always a good selction variety every night. I'm not sure I ever saw the same thing twice and only saw chips ONCE!!!!!
self service ice cream, cream cakes to die for, bread a go go, Greek honey pots everywhere.
Breakfast was ace too, not many cereals but it's an English thing I think. Bacon, eggs, cold meats chesses, fruit etc etc.....NO TOAST THOUGH!!!!!!!!

The clienetele were of a mix, there did not seem to be too many UK residents, French were probably the most abundant, German, Scandinavian and Easter European all followed.

Staff - on the whole were good, some were excellent.
Reception staff were always professional.
Some of the staff in the dining area were...hap-hazard or away with the fairies. It could sometimes take an age to get a coffee at breakfast and they had the coffee pot (make your own tea get your own juice) Drinks orders at evening could come out wrong, or not at all.
And I put it down to over friendliness.
There are a LOT of regulars at Theartemis and it just seemed to make the staff a little too relaxed.
I don't care how well you know people or how many years they've been visiting, big bear hugs in the dining area is not appropriate.
And it's not just the every day staff, this also comes from more senior [long dark haired female] staff who sometimes behave as if it is their holiday too - it isn't!!
Rant over - they were otherwise courteous and kind.

Special mention to the two fellas in the bar who I can only describe as Legends.
Neither were spring chickens but they were hold hearted INTO their job and seemed to love it. And they could do the friendly with the regulars but knew when to stop and do the work also.

Location - Theartemis is 3 blocks from the sea front. Putting it about a 25 minute stroll to the old harbour (about 10 minutes if I'm without wife and child).

And speaking of child - Theartemis welcomes children, the staff are great with them and all paid compliment to my, at times, shy daughter. But it doesn't come across as a childrens hotel.
There is time limited kids activities (we can't commment on them as we didn't use) but they were there.
Evening entertainment was also geared toward the elder clientele with crooner nights and other such live entertainment. My daughter did however enjoy, Tony the Magician, The traditional Greek dancing and th DJ on the last night...though very 90's orientated.

Acid test - woudl we go back?
Yeah I think we would but I would want to see a more professional attitude across ALL the staff particulalrly those who should know better and that is why I marked them average.

Room Tip: All are ok I think - but regulars, or those paying for it, get the better ones. The annex require...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank John H
Reviewed 21 June 2014

The staff was friendly, rooms and the whole hotel was clean. I had an all inclusive and I liked the food very much. The situation was great nearby the sea, but at night I was disturbed by traffic noises. The room was a little bit old- fashioned but very clean! The room was cleaned every day. The pool area was clean and nice. The gym was very poor equiped and old- fashioned! All together the hotel was worth of money but it's, not as luxiorius as it's advertised.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank AnneJenny405
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Location was perfect if beach is what you want. You just walk two blocks and there you are, almost in the water. To old town and city centre there was 20-25 minutes walk, but many shops and restaurants on the way so the walk was pretty nice too.

Room was very comfortable and overall cleanliness of the hotel was very good. In the room there was two beds and nice bathroom with bathtub and balcony. We got clean sheets and towels even when we did not ask for them. Only minus is that the bed was uncomfortably hard and bad for the back.

We had all inclusive, and indeed we ate most of the meals in the restaurant Daphne in the hotel. Foods were mostly excellent, there were several hot choices at every lunch and dinner, salads and vegetables, fruits, cheeses, fish.. you name it. Desserts were very lovely too. Breakfast was great, because there was bacon. With food you can drink house wine, beer or other refreshments like soda or juice. Service was quite fast, but the staff was very hurried and hasty because all the tables were always crowded.

Evenings at the hotel.. there are various happenings by the pool and at Ariane Bar. Mostly it was music (live/dj), but we also enjoyed magician, The absolute best was greek dancing group that performed greek traditional dancing and also made the guests dance. That night was awesome.

The con side of performances is that they are very loud and you surely enjoy them in your room too. It usually lasted from 9 p.m. to about 11p.m. so if you need to sleep at that time you most probably will have to pack earplugs.

The pool area was fully populated always when sunny, you have to get up early to get a sunbed. Pool itself was not so popular and there was always room to swim, it might be because the water was so cold that only kids could swim in it for as long as they want.

The conclusion: This is a great hotel with good food and friendly staff. It had everything we could have needed and more.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I have been visiting the hotel for the past decade and it has always been great!situated in the town of rethymno guests are just a step from the beach and just a few minuites from the city center. the hotel was recently renovated.the rooms are very clean and nice and the staff is extremely hospitable and warm with the guests.the food is also great.Visiting Theartemis palace will definitely be an unforgettable experience! Totally worth a stay! enjoy!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 May 2014

April 2014...We were offered this hotel as an alternative as the one we'd booked became unavailable but after reading recent reviews we were confident and happy to accept. This hotel was amazing! The staff were welcoming and the whole hotel was spotless and modern but had a twist with various beautiful antique pieces dotted around. Staff in the restaurant were very friendly and helpful and their service was first class. We stayed on the all inclusive package and found the food excellent at all times. It was fresh and well cooked with a few choices of mains. The snacks were limited but again freshly laid out. Packed lunches were also available if pre ordered. Night time entertainment was good and our children especially like the magician.
We were in two double rooms with a connecting internal door which was fantastic with two teenage girls(2 bathrooms!). Rooms 218 and 220 were fashionably decorated with exceptional bathrooms. Unfortunately the balconies were small and overlooked the very busy road.
There were two pools available and both were well maintained .
We had a lovely stay and would recommend this hotel but feel that there were 3 things that we need to mention.
Beds; whilst you cant please everyone we found the beds very hard and combined with the loud traffic noise(well into the small hours) this meant our sleep was disturbed most nights. Maybe a poolside room would be worth requesting if you sleep lightly?
Bar; drinks on the all inclusive package were very limited and of a poorer quality. The staff served paying customers first at all times and service was slow at all times. The bar staff were friendly but definitely preferred serving paying customers and this was most apparent.
Location; if you want a busy , bustling city centre location then this is the best for you ! !
We would have preferred something a little more remote with less traffic noise. There was no allocated parking for guests and this was not a problem in April but if staying at busy times you may struggle to park your hire car close.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family