“Excellant Hotel, fabulous holiday”

White Palace Luxury Resort
Ranked #10 of 175 Hotels in Rethymnon
Midlands England
“Excellant Hotel, fabulous holiday”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Arrived back from this hotel a couple of weeks ago and all I can say is I can't wait to go again.What a fabulous hotel staff bend over backwards to make your stay with them memorable. Special mention for Maria in the restuarant,wonderful lady,and Oggy who was a joy,Natasha and so many more would be here all day saying names. I would suggest a sea view room as to wake up to that view was breathtaking.Food was great could do with being a bit hotter, and please sort out the toaster. Rooms very large and spacious . If any one has any negative reviews they must be very picky.Thank you to the White Palace and can't wait to see you again.

Room Tip: Try for a sea view room on upper floors
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank alibaba205

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We have just returned from the White Palace (AKA El Greco) and we had a wonderful week. I was going to rate it 5 stars but I ended up rating it 4 and I’ll explain why shortly. The main problem was Thomson providing misleading information about the hotel. It might sound a bit unfair but we had a pretty bad experience with their booking system and we didn’t get what we were expecting. I originally called them to ask a couple of questions about the hotel and the girl I spoke to, answered all of my questions and she even offered me a little discount and an upgrade to a sea view room if I booked over the phone and of course I agreed. Big mistake, a couple of days later I found out that they spelled my partner’s name incorrectly so I had to pay £25 to amend the booking for a mistake that they made in the first place. Annoying…

The person I spoke to never double checked the details or asked me to confirm that everything was correct so I find it funny how a company like Thomson tries to hide their mistakes behind their T&C’s. It looks like they are happier to get those £25 rather than keep a loyal customer happy (I have spent thousands of pounds with them over the last few years). I hope they will enjoy those £25 as I won’t be booking another holiday with them. I complained on their Facebook page and by email (twice) and never got a response.

When we arrived at the hotel we looked at each other and said… WOW! The reception area, the pools, the bars, and the terrace are absolutely stunning and decorated in a very stylish way. We checked in very quickly and we were taken to our room and when we walked in we were very disappointed. Not all of the rooms have been renovated which is something that isn’t mentioned on Thomson’s website. We were also expecting that sea view upgrade which we obviously didn’t get. If you are thinking about booking a holiday here pay for a sea view room, trust me it’s worth it. The “garden view” rooms (our room was not overlooking a garden but a rather noisy road and an abandoned house) are looking rather dated and slightly dirty. We asked reception for an upgrade (we even offered to pay) but they were fully booked. We were highly disappointed but we decided to let go and enjoy our holiday as the rest of the hotel is stunning. It was a bit bizarre during the first couple of days as it felt like we were staying in a 3 star hotel with access to the facilities of a 5 star hotel but we eventually got used to the idea.

Tip, If you enjoy a drink when on holiday, do not book half board as cocktails as very expensive. They cost between 8.50 and 14 euros each so the all inclusive package is well worth it. I saw the bar staff using Bacardi rum for mojitos and pina coladas so you won’t get the usual cheap watered down booze. Food at all inclusive resorts is never amazing but I must say that it was the best we’ve had in an all inclusive package. Grecotel are famous for owning an organic farm in Crete where they grow their own vegetables so expect a lot of fresh ingredients. My partner is a fussy eater and she always found something to eat. She was in fact very impressed with the selection. The a la carte restaurant was a bit disappointing. The location is beautiful but the selection is very limited especially if you don’t like fish. Food was okay but nothing exceptional. Check the weather forecast before booking the a la carte restaurant as it can be quite windy at times. We didn’t bother with the entertainment so we can’t possibly comment, we mostly spent our evenings in the terrace enjoying a cocktail or two. Our favourite place in the hotel!

The local rep Michael is very helpful so if it’s your first time in Crete and need some advice go and see him. He is great and very knowledgeable. Crete is a beautiful place and we had a really good holiday slightly ruined by Thomson’s terrible customer service. However, we think that Grecotel are a great company and we would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone.

I hope this review was helpful and if you have any questions feel free to get in touch.

Room Tip: Pay for a sea view rooms as they are the ones that have been renovated. The old rooms are looking ra...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
15 Thank David S
Durham
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Amazing hotel, so clean but what makes it extra special is the staff everyone is so friendly especially Cara who works for the animation team! We will miss Grecotel and the staff. I'm sure we will be back very soon! - Joanne and Lee x

• Stayed June 2014
6 Thank Lt3579
NEWCASTLE ON TYNE
Reviewed 17 June 2014

this was the most relaxing holiday , I have had .,the staff are so efficient,professional,and courteous,.Bar,pool dining room reception, cleaners,all very friendly did every thing for you ,had a room facing road no problem , Only hotel I know where there are 4 guest relations officers making sure everything is ok . great choice of food something for everyone theme nights2 times a week, gala evening was very good apart from the rain .entertainment a bit basic ,three tenors was highlight ,too energetic animation team for me <,I am late 60s. >but good fun to watch had slight problem on arrival with room location but sorted out by super reception staff in a couple of minutes, 10 minute walk into next village well worth it .plenty of sunbeds for all, the cliental were from all corners of Europe ,but the animation team broke down all the barriers made sure every enjoyed their stay would certainly go again

Room Tip: book early and get a sea view larger rooms but for me a hotel room is just for some where to hang yo...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank ajwalby
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I had done a fair bit of research before booking this holiday - read all the reviews, looked at every single photo etc. I was fairly confident that it would be good. When the transfer coach pulled up outside I had to catch my breath - the outside with the infinity water features and lovely flower beds make a good first impression. The reception area is stunning and we were greeted with cloths to freshen up, a welcome drink and then taken to one of the tables to check in with a member of staff. No queuing at the reception desk! This welcome set the standard for our entire stay.

Our sea facing room was in a block adjacent to the main building which has its own large pool and garden area with loungers. The room was large - with a walk in shower in the room and separate bathroom. It is beautifully designed and the white and blue theme is stylish and restful. The bed was comfortable and the overall level of cleanliness extremely high - in fact it was faultless.

In terms of the public areas what works really well is that there are different areas - zones if you like - that you can use depending on time of day. We tended to go to the main bar for a drink before dinner and after, the pool bar for a little late lunch or a drink early afternoon and the sea front bar for a little post sunbathing refreshment. The pools are all very clean as is the beach which we used more than we thought we would because it's private and very nice.

The food really exceeded our expectations - the choice and quality of food at every sitting was superb. Apparently this hotel has its own organic farm and the vegetable choices were plentiful and imaginative. We were surprised to see brussel sprouts one evening and tried them - oh and they were good - cooked with some smoked bacon and finished very delicately with cream. We did not tire of the food at all - one can only imagine the amount of hard work that goes into planning and executing such a fantastic selection of consistently high standard food.

The location of the hotel was good for us - we wanted to pretty much hole up and relax and were glad that it's not in the middle of a big resort. We did make it into Rethymnon on a couple of occasions and it was easy enough to get there - 20 mins at the most. The architecture is stunning and there are plenty enough shops to indulge in a bit of retail therapy.

However - it's not the gorgeous, stylish surroundings or the quality of the food that sets this hotel apart. The USP for this hotel is the staff and it is they that make staying here truly special. One of the previous reviews is titled 'Treated like kings' - which I think sums up the experience of staying at this hotel. Nothing, and I mean nothing, is too much trouble. This is a very special team who are led by the hotel manager who is visible and chats to guests, always asking if all is okay with their stay.

We are hoping to return for a week in October - we simply cannot wait to go back.

Room Tip: Choose a sea view room!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Flemmy
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

What can I say that hasn't already been said! This was truly exceptional, do not hesitate and book it!!!! Beautiful hotel, beautiful views and the nicest staff you will ever meet! Myself and my husband stayed in June for our wedding anniversary and were treated like royalty, the staff couldn't do enough and made us feel special! The food, well... We defiantly come home a few pounds heavier, it's a 5 star culinary experience. Don't miss out on your gala dinner, whilst watching the sun set. Very romantic. Lastly, you must book all inclusive when you go to this hotel. It's worth every penny. Have already recommended and will be retuning next year with family xx

• Stayed June 2014
5 Thank JadeDeysell25
Porthcawl, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Second visit to this hotel and this time it was even better. It's now called 'White Palace' and certainly lives up to the name. It's been refurbished to a very good standard, the bedrooms have been modernised with a minimal white & blue decor (some rooms have a walk in shower in the bedroom and seperate bathroom) and are nice and spacious with air con. Would definitely recommend the sea view rooms. The bars and restaurant have lovely outdoor areas with stunning sea views and sunsets. The food is excellent with plenty of choice and the maitre du is always around to make sure everything is ok. Great service all round, the staff are genuinely lovely, they really make this hotel special. Nothing is too much trouble and they are always happy, friendly and welcoming. Particularly noticed Dimitra and Eliza on reception, Oggy in the restaurant, Maria from the bar, the girls serving drinks at the pool/beach are very sweet and Andreas 'the captain' at the beach bar is fantastic. The hotel is in a quiet area with a bus stop outside which will take you the 20 min journey into Rethymnon. (You can buy tickets at the shop opposite for 1euro 20 each way.) Well worth a visit, plenty of shops, restaurants and a pretty harbour. The hotel will be installing a spa and fitness room in the near future so it's improving all the time. It's a relaxing, high quality, friendly property which I would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank karenj24
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rethymnon
Caramel Grecotel Boutique Resort
Aquila Rithymna Beach Hotel
Aquila Rithymna Beach Hotel
#1 of 14 in Adelianos Kampos
Amirandes, Grecotel Exclusive Resort

Been to White Palace Luxury Resort? Share your experiences!