“Another wonderful stay”

Aquila Porto Rethymno
Ranked #8 of 175 Hotels in Rethymnon
Reviewed 22 May 2014

This was our second visit to this hotel. As far as my wife and I are concerned, everything about this hotel is excellent.
Some will say that a few aspects of the decor could be better, but this is irrelevant as far as we are concerned, because the service is just BRILLIANT.
Every one of the staff go out of their way to be so friendly and satisfy your every need.
The food is varied, plentiful and excellent.
The beach is very clean.
Only a short walk to the old town, which has lots of different shops and restaurants.
We will definitely be going back again.

Room Tip: A seaview is best
1  Thank Lawrie P
Write a ReviewReviews (1,227)

Reviewed 22 May 2014

Wonderful 2 week stay at the Porto on half board. The staff - especially the restaurant serving staff and room maids - were friendly and very hard working. Rooms were good and location wonderful
HOWEVER, although there was usually plenty of vegetarian food available, the chef had a habit of occasionally adding meat to various dishes. For example, 12 of the 14 days the scrambled egg was wonderful but once per week they added ham. What made things worse was that food was not labelled as veggie. Come on Porto – Think of us veggies and as a minimum put a "V" on the food labels and stop spoiling an otherwise wonderful experience.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Vegieabroad
Kon_Vogiatzis, Marketing Coordinator at Aquila Porto Rethymno, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and your kind comments about our Hotel, and especially for our staff.
We would also like to thank you for your notes regarding the “Veggie” labels in our Main Restaurant. You really helped us to improve our information concerning the vegetarian dishes, displayed in our Main Restaurant’s Buffet.
As from today, and thanks to you, all our guests will enjoy our well labeled Buffet with the district “V” symbol on our veggie dishes.
Thank you once more for your notes. We do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again in our Hotel in the near future.

Best regads,

Kostas Damanakis

Reviewed 20 May 2014

VERY nice Hotel & staff. They dont KNOW what best They can do for you. Clean rooms and exelent food. Clean beach. Short trip to old TOWN. Lost of Good restaurants. We Munch use Tasos at the sea promenade.

Room Tip: We always have 411. FANTASTIC seaview. It's a deluxe room. Big.
1  Thank Øivind K
Reviewed 17 May 2014

5*? Def not if the standard rooms are to judge by. Definitely need refurbishment. Sea view rooms are mostly side sea view and if you have one near the main road expect noise until very late. Breakfast was excellent although smoked salmon only featured on one out of the 6 days I was there. But the price was very good and bought drinks are very reasonable too.

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank UKWsM
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Room five-star hotel very poor, tile in the bathroom is old. Instead of one large bed, which we had booked, the room had two beds shifted on the bed sheets had sand. Instead of the normal blankets we were given blankets terrible (coverlet). In the bathroom, in the shower water is not diverted or hot or cold. Instead of the sea, the view was of the pool and the side of the sea. The rooms are cleaned on request only! Breakfast is monotonous. Staff requests to repair shower unreacted only shrug and say that the reason for the system and to do or what not to be. in the "spa zone" in the shower on a hose not a protection gum on the metal parts, resulting in a cut finger obtained

4  Thank Elena131981
Kon_Vogiatzis, Marketing Coordinator at Aquila Porto Rethymno, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Our entire team is extremely committed to delivering the perfect vacation experience for each guest, and we put the highest priority on ensuring that the Hotel rooms and puplic areas are kept spotlessly clean.
We’d like to apologize for the inconvenience you’ve experienced during your stay.
In addition, we are very sorry that we haven’t fulfilled your expectations and we do hope
that we’ll have the opportunity to offer you in the near future a pleasant stay with us.

Best regards,

Kostas Damanakis

Reviewed 14 May 2014

This was my first visit to the Aquila Porto Rethymno, but I have a feeling it won't be my last despite one or two reservations I will mention at the end. For the record, I travelled with Thomson from the East Midlands Airport on a halfboard basis for one week. We arrived after dinner had finished but were offered a free lunch in the adjacent ala-carte restuarant.

Location. From the hotel it is just a short walk to Rethymnon old town, the harbour and the fort. There are long stretches of clean sand for the beach bunnies - although the hotel's own area of beach is all anyone really needs. There are also pleny of shops for the shopaholics and for people like myself much to sight-see. My camera never stopped during the whole week.

The staff. They are absolutely brilliant... nothing is too much trouble for them whether on reception or in the restuarants and cafes. I didn't use the bar, gym or the sunbeds on the beach, so I cannot comment on those.

Food. The hot food was well cooked (and hot!) and varied both at breakfast and dinner. At breakfast there was lots of choice with cereals, juices, meats, breads and fruits. At dinner, again lots of salads, hot buffet choices, sweets as well as roast meats and fish. Fresh food was regularly brought out to ensure there was sufficient for all. The only complaint is the price of drinks: 2 euros 90 for a coke and 5 euros 10 for a white wine is steep.

Room. I stayed in a standard room on the third floor overlooking the pool. As it was in the corner it didn't get much sun either morning or evening and the balcony wasn't very private as I could see through the divide to the next balcony. As someone who likes pribacy I was totally happy about this.

The room was clean and well cared for with plenty of little extras such as a kettle, fridge (I didn't use the mini bar), bath robe and slippers, as well as soap, show gel etc.

I do, however, have one or two small issues. Although the two coffee and two tea sachets were replaced as necessary, there were no small cartons of milk provided throughout the whole week. As I drink lots of coffee, I provided my own coffee and milk, but it is a point that needs making. The bathrobe and slippers were very much apppreciated but they didn't fit even though the bathrobe was supposedly xxl.

My final issue is one that applies not just to this hotel, but many I have stayed at in Greece. Why do most Greek hotels insist on placing single guests in corners at the back of the hotel? As single guests we pay proportionately more per person than one of a couple do yet we get treated often as poor relations. Very few hotels offer single guests a sea view upgrade or one of the better views. I believe this is something that hotels and the travel companies such as Thomson need to deal with because often a good view is important to a person travelling alone. As I paid for a late checkout room, I had to change rooms on the final day but the room I was given had a much better view for me being able to see the beach and sea from the side of the balcony. I would have much preferred that room for the holiday.

Whether or not it is a five star hotel I don't know, not being a regular 5 star hotel customer. But what I will say is probably the best hotel I have stayed in.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank DavidG21
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Good hotel, staff helpful and very friendly, food was excellent breakfast - lots of choice and all very fresh constantly being replenished Evening buffet again lots of choice constantly replenished. (cannot comment on lunch as we were half board and ate out in the day) hotel is in a nice position and a pleasant walk to the old town. All facilities were good. Only grumble is that the rooms are a little tired and in need of some tlc but they were spotlessly clean and the beds comfortable.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank linpoly
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rethymnon
Aquila Rithymna Beach Hotel
White Palace Luxury Resort
White Palace Luxury Resort
#10 of 175 in Rethymnon
Caramel Grecotel Boutique Resort

Been to Aquila Porto Rethymno? Share your experiences!