Have just returned from a fabulous stay at the Aquila Porto Rethymno with my mum (72) and 4 teenage children. On balance I would agree with most of the criticisms made of the hotel by other reviewers, namely the high price of drinks, the lack of complimentary tea and coffee, inadequacy of swimming pools etc. However, none of these had any effect on our enjoyment of our holiday. Tip: take/buy your own coffee, and buy your drinks during happy hour!
Issues such as street noise/lack of parking are simply the price you pay for the excellent location of this hotel. It is literally a 10 minute walk into the old town/harbour area with its wealth of bars, shops and restaurants.
Our rooms were lovely, cleaned to a good standard, with interesting extras eg pull-out drying racks on the balcony, slippers and scales!! (which we used to weigh our case before departure!!) Our kids also managed to connect their mp3 players to the stereos (my husband and I couldn't, obviously!!)
The food in the hotel was excellent. The choice at breakfast was vast and the quality superb. Dinner was equally good, with endless starters and puddings and a choice of 3 main courses (1 vegetarian). Our only slight niggle was that being a party of 7 seemed to cause problems in terms of seating, but we only had to actually wait once for a table.
Whilst the attitude of the staff towards our children couldn't be faulted, the same couldn't be said of the other guests. My daughter was tutted at in the restaurant on more than one occasion (for no reason at all) and they were glared at in the pools, the gym and the jacuzzi!! They are all quiet, well-behaved young people. I shudder to think how a boisterous toddler would be regarded!! Admittedly there were very few children in the hotel at the time - perhaps there are more during the summer.
Our greatest complaint about the holiday had nothing really to do with the hotel, only indirectly, and that was that we couldn't use our Maestro cards to withdraw money from cash-points. Our rep couldn't accept them to pay for excursions either so we had to use our cash, leaving us with no money! To complicate matters the banks (and all public transport) were on strike for 2 days!! However, we got by and it certainly didn't spoil our holiday!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Inspired by the waterfront setting of the stunning northern coastline of Crete, Aquila Porto Rethymno brings the essence of an urban resort located within a striking distance of 700m from the city of Rethymno. The hotel presents a cosmopolitan escape, as you relax, dine and wander among Rethymno's most beautiful and historic sites offering the perfect base for business or leisure travelers. Chic, luxury hotel building and accommodation offer superb amenities and recreational facilities for all travelers. The hotel has been recognized internationally with prestigious awards and certifications for its commitment to the best service and hospitality. Porto Rethymno is an urban oasis featuring beautifully appointed guest rooms and suites which meet the needs of every traveler. The recently renovated guest rooms and suites have mostly views of Rethymno beach or the city harbor featuring a refreshing color palette inspired by a sophisticated fabulous setting. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, LoveHolidays, Odigeo, Travel Republic (UK), Hotel.de, Agoda and Hotels.com so you can book your Aquila Porto Rethymno reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aquila Porto Rethymno Rethymnon
- Porto Rethymnon
- Hotel Aquila Porto Rethymno
- Aquila Porto Rethymno Crete/Rethymnon