We have just returned from this hotel .. yesterday in fact,,We booked our holiday with Thompsons.Checkin was quick and efficient with a cold drinks given out whilst we filled in our details..Our room was at the back of the hotel, without a seaview.. we knew this and was not really that disapointed . The room was slightly dated, grouting in bathroom, and carpets on the floor BUT it was extremely clean and had EVERYTHING you could want, This included tea/coffee facilities, tv, cd player, and bath robes etc.. Unfortanately our air conditioning wasnt working.They tried to repair it as soon as we let them know, but to no avail.But we changed rooms within an hour and everything was fine.. All around the hotel everything is kept very clean and tidy.. Our room was spotless everyday, clean towels and bedding.. The public spaces are modern with lots of sofas to chill our on or read a book.. Both outdoor pools are on the small side, and the loungers are fairly close together but again they were kept spotless. It appeared that most people went to the beach anyway.. The beach is just across the road which we had no trouble crossing.. advice is not to trust the zebra outside the hotel, as not many people stopped to let us cross..The beach is great, huge and sandy.. The loungers and umbrellas are very well spaced out with lots of space between them,, There are showers and beach towels provided(very handy) .. The beach guys keep things tidy and you can order drinks etc from them.. The sea was warm, and calm. One day the sea did whip up a bit, and there were some waves.. The green flag was changed by the life guards..well done to them.. Around the hotel are lots of restaurants,supermarkets, tourist shops etc..A haagen dazs coffee shop was just across the road, which again was nice..The hotel is in the more modern part, but 10 minute walk along the promenade is the old town..We found this delightful..the venetian harbour is full of restaurants and bars.. and then at the back are tiny streets with good shops,squares etc.. This is well worth a wander in the daylight for photos and in the evening for a drink etc.. There are also museums and a fort..
I can not praise the staff highly enough, from the Matre D, to bar staff, maids etc were brilliant.. Extremely helpful and friendly..One day on the beach, it was lovely to see around 7 waiters, and 2 Managers of the restaurants , giving out watermelon, cut up,on plates,including serviettes.. I have only experienced this kind of service in the far east.. brilliant.
Now to the food, again we thought this was excellent..A vast array of international and local delights,, there was something for everyone.. The bread was artisan, and not a supermarket cut loaf in sight.. There was a bar b q evening around the pool,which was great, this included all types of meat and even snails to try..plus and italian evening.. Again breakfast was great, including smothies.
In the evening the bar at the front of the hotel , was a lovely place to have a drink or coffee, Entertainment was as we like it, laid back singers, some greek dancing, and a very good brazilain show...
I would thoroughly recommend whis hotel, and we hope to return in the future..
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Inspired by the waterfront setting of the stunning northern coastline of Crete, Aquila Porto Rethymno brings the essence of an urban resort located within a striking distance of 700m from the city of Rethymno. The hotel presents a cosmopolitan escape, as you relax, dine and wander among Rethymno's most beautiful and historic sites offering the perfect base for business or leisure travelers. Chic, luxury hotel building and accommodation offer superb amenities and recreational facilities for all travelers. The hotel has been recognized internationally with prestigious awards and certifications for its commitment to the best service and hospitality. Porto Rethymno is an urban oasis featuring beautifully appointed guest rooms and suites which meet the needs of every traveler. The recently renovated guest rooms and suites have mostly views of Rethymno beach or the city harbor featuring a refreshing color palette inspired by a sophisticated fabulous setting. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Travel Republic (UK), Odigeo, TravelUp, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, Agoda and Cancelon so you can book your Aquila Porto Rethymno reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aquila Porto Rethymno Rethymnon
- Porto Rethymnon
- Hotel Aquila Porto Rethymno
- Aquila Porto Rethymno Crete/Rethymnon