“An inspiring place to stay”

Veneto Boutique Hotel
Ranked #2 of 44 Rethymnon B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 February 2011

We have just returned from three weeks in Greece and will count as a highlight the two nights we stayed in the Veneto. Travelling is about immersing yourself in the culture and beauty of other places and we found this the moment we walked into the enchanting foyer with mosaic tiled floor of this unassuming hotel. Once a monastery and parts of is dating back four hundred years, the Veneto is one of those places you wish to share with everyone but secretely hope no one else finds. I could have sat in the foyer for ages just soaking up the ambience of the fountain, subtle lighting, stone walls, and enticing entranceway to the hotel's private cellar. Our room was delightful and included our own terrace and balcony, small kitchenette, ensuite (small) and centrepiece table with a few candles. The terrace overlooked the courtyard filled with flowers and hanging baskets. The courtyard doubles as a breakfast area (included in the tarriff). As it was winter, the restaurant was closed, which gives us a great excuse for returning. Although only planning to stay one night, we returned to the Veneto two nights later (hotels on the more remote southern Crete were closed). We arrived drenched from the rain, and were given a small bottle of raki to drink while staff quickly prepared the room we had previously stayed in before. It doesn't get much better than that. It was a priviledge to stay here. Jenny and John (Australia)

Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jennyandjohnSydney
There are newer reviews for Veneto Boutique Hotel

Reviewed 22 December 2010

What a great hospitality! We stayed in room 106 for 4 nights.
The room was quiet and clean. The breakfast very rich.
The restaurant offers high quality Greek cuisine. Don’t forget to visit the stone wine cellar.
Our stay in Veneto gave as the real Cretan experience we were after.
We ll try to come back.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank robscholes
Reviewed 20 December 2010

This place was beautiful. We had a two story suite, with just a loft upstairs for the bed. It was the first night of our honeymoon, and it was too beautiful. We didn't want to leave. The town was fun. The food at the restaurant was great. you can walk anywhere. If I went back and did my honeymoon again, I would have stayed longer here. And the friendliest staff ever!!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank SuperSheWolf
Reviewed 1 November 2010

I was hesitant to submit this review as I really didn't want to be negative and it is clear that I had a different experience at the hotel than many of the other reviewers. Whereas many of the reviews raved about the large rooms, mine was ordinary at best and the bathroom was really tiny and in need of updating. I didn't find the reception staff particularly friendly or helpful, in fact often I couldn't find them at all. When I went to check out, for example, I had to search the hotel to find someone with which to settle the account and I also had to carry my bag downstairs myself.

Having said all that, the restaurant was excellent. The food was great, the restaurant staff were extremely friendly and service was top notch. The hotel itself is beautiful and has lots of character. It is conveniently located in the middle of the old town with easy walking distance to the harbour, shopping, and many great little tavernas.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank AnInquiringMind
Reviewed 13 October 2010

My wife and I enjoyed our stay very much. The staff is friendly and very helpful and the room was small but charming and quiet. Well maintained and well located in Rethymnon. We could walk anywhere we wanted to go and return to rest and relax with ease. Nice restaurant and garden patio. You really can't go wrong in choosing this small suite hotel for your stay. We would definitely return should our travels take us back to Crete.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank MarkMM55
Reviewed 1 October 2010

Its like going back home. Veneto and its staff have become my family. This establishment has given hospitality a whole new meaning. Thank you Yanni and Argiro for again looking after us and treating us like kings!! Thank you for sharing your beautiful Veneto with us. I leave you changed ,energised, inspired and preparing my next visit.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank EveZayannakis
Reviewed 23 September 2010

My wife and I together with another couple from Australia, stayed at the Veneto in Rethymno for 4 nights at the begining of September. We selected the Veneto from the internet attracted by their attractive photo's and description, and I am pleased to say our high expectations from this were exceeded.
Initially we were suprised that the hotel was smaller than expected and difficult to find tucked away in the ancient alleys of the old town. However, upon entering the lobby we discovered a most charming and welcoming ambiance enhanced by the 700 hundred year old architecture.
Our room was very spacious and comfortable with a high timbered ceiling, larged shuttered windows and an adequate ensuite. The air conditioning worked well when needed.
What really set this hotel apart from any other we have stayed at was the staff. They were always very freindly and helpful, particularly maitre dee Fred, and Mary, mother of the owner Yannis, who prepares the absolute best traditional greek breakfast, particularly her locamadies.
We left the Veneto to join a fantastic cruise from Rethymno arround the islands and just before the boat returned to Rethymno the tour director recommended to the other passengers to call into the Veneto as it was something special to see. She was most impressed to hear we had stayed there.
highly recommended.