“A Magical experience!”

Youth Hostel Rethymno
wales
“A Magical experience!”
Reviewed 13 July 2013

The hostel is one of the most friendly and relaxed place I have ever stayed. The people you meet there make you feel very welcome. Also, the manager, Sasha, is a top man! He does everything to make your stay an excellent experience. If you are ever traveling in Crete, it is a must to stay in this hostel. Sleep in a bed on the rooftop - brilliant! I, for one, will be going back there very soon
Glenn

Room Tip: A rooftop bed!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Polish first
Corfu, Greece
Reviewed 21 May 2013

I've stayed in Youth Hostel for about 8 days in May'13 and have to admit it was my best "hostel" experience ever. Rooms are big and perfectly clean, the location is just perfect- very close to all main places in Rethymno and Sasha was extremely friendly, open and always ready to help. And his breakfasts and lunches were just amazing! Atmosphere in the hostel is also very friendly, you'll definately meet great people there and spend some fantastic evenings together!!!
Anna

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Anutka_13
Eddington, Maine
Reviewed 2 March 2013

I stayed there in June of '12. Loved the atmosphere so much that I didn't even bother to island hop as I had planned. Great central Crete location, super cheap. I have read some of the other reviews on here and in particular the one about Sasha - couldn't have had a more different experience. He was friendly, outgoing and dedicated to his job. He did have drinks with us occasionally but was never out of control. Out of the many places I stayed as I traveled around Europe last summer this was one of, if not the, best of them. Read the rest of the reviews and you will get a great sense of what this place is really like. Small pointers - Gyros just down the road can't be beat and make time to hit some of the clubs at night in the old port. Cars are easy to rent and cheap and give you access to a ton of things on the island for a day trip. Seriously want to go back and stay longer!

Room Tip: I didn't, but should have slept out under the stars on the second floor. I will next time.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Pagnozziworldwide
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 December 2012

we book for 2 night but we changed our mind spending just one night at the end. We didn´t get our money back but the guy told us we could come back here during our trip around Crete and don´t pay for that night. We didn´t come but at least we had that chance. Cheap place to stay if you go to Rethymo for one day. Close to the center many restaurants.

If you go to Rethymo you can`t miss Kyria Maria and have rabbit. One of the best things we had during two weeks in Crete. 100% recommend. just go and try is even cheap. nice terrace just in the street.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tlmo84
Banff, Canada
Reviewed 16 September 2012

I'm only relatively new to reviews so unfortunately this is quite belated.
I stayed at the Rethymno Youth Hostel in September 2010 for approximately 1 week.
This is by far one of my favorite hostels from all my travels.
Beautiful bougainvillia falls in cascades of hot pink flowers over the walls. Ivan who was the manager at the time was an absolute pleasure to deal with in all aspects. Friendly, professional, informative... the works.
It wasn't too busy when I was there, so I even got a night on one of the rooftop beds when it was quite a hot night which was lovely.
I highly recommend this place if Ivan is still there although based on more recent reviews it appears he has moved on :(

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Hana212
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 September 2012

Stayed in this hostel in July 2012, I decided to leave after 2 days after having paid for 4. Sasha a serbian guy is the current manager and an exceptionally dangerous guy to be around. On my first night he got so drunk he could barely stand up and had a huge brawl with a guest staying there at 3am after he had gotten extremely threatening towards his girlfriend calling her every name under the sun. This all climaxed with Sasha (the manager) hitting the guest across the head with a bottle!!! Needless to say the police were called. This is such a shame as the hostel is lovely and from what I have heard this is Sashas first season managing the property. Rethymno Youth hostel owner take heed and more importantly fellow travellers do the same, especially if female...

Room Tip: Don't!!!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Clipit101
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 14 August 2012

The hostel is clean, nice and in a good position. It´s a shame that Sascha, the manager now, can be really unpleasant with girls. I felt like it was better to live the place than be there and can´t ask for any informations. I´m probably not the first girl who had a bad experience.

Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rethymnon
Rimondi Boutique Hotel
#9 of 175 in Rethymnon
Youth Hostel Plakias
Youth Hostel Plakias
#1 of 49 in Plakias

Been to Youth Hostel Rethymno? Share your experiences!