“Tranditional tavern and cretan music”
Review of Mesostrati

Mesostrati
Ranked #213 of 374 Restaurants in Rethymnon
Price range: US$9 - US$18
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Mesostrati Taverna in Rethymno, CRETEsuggests some menu ideas based on Cretan Diet (during the year)APPETIZERSNtako Salad with rusk with chopped tomatoes and feta cheese poured with Cretan olive oil .Farmer’s Saladwith Season’s vegetables, rusk, boiled potatoes and olives.‘Evexia’ Saladwith lettuce, oak leaf lettuce, walnuts, chopped ‘’graviera’’ cheese and balsamic vinaigrette sauce.Pan-fried zucchini balls or tomato ballsCheese or herb-based mini pies‘Sfakiani’ pita dough based pita stuffed with soft cheese and sprinkled in pure honeyMAIN COURSE‘’Apaki’’ smoked pork meat flavored with Cretan herbs served with french fries, tzatziki sauce and vegetables.Home-made pork based Sausages served with steamed rice, tzatziki sauce and season’s salad on the sideSouvlaki Grilled chickenWEEK’S SPECIALDuring the week, we prepare for you traditional home-made lentil soup and bean soupMenu for two (for 10€ person ~ drinks included).Mesostrati is a small family business supporting the Rethymnian economy. We use pure ingredients to prepare our dishes.The owners, George and Georgia will be more than happy to help you and make you feel like home.
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Excellent food nice atmosfere live music good service low prices. I was there on 28 of May and I enjoy very much. I recomend this place to everybody because it is original and the quallity is very high.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Real Cretan taverna (just behind the church) with a very beautiful interior with local visitors as well as tourists. Very friendly owner with his wife cooking your meals and his daughter helping to serve them to your table. Try the chorapitakia or the apakia, very tasty !! Usually live music in the evening on Friday's and Saturday's. An absolute must !!

Reviewed 1 November 2013

We find this place because we heard a live music and singing, traditional gretan instruments lauto and lyra, taking few beers and enjoy all this feeling.... Because I am an operasinger I enjoy something different and pure gretan... We went there twice in our one week holiday, artists was different but every time it was very good performance, The food was ok, Mythos beer is exellent gretan beer, wine was also ok. Last evening the owner bring to us a honey raki, it was very tasty and this was only for us!!! I sung also two songs, one estonian song Saaremaa valss and of course tenors most wellnone O sole mio! Interesting thing was that some clients also sung with the band... So nice! I didnt understand even a word but the feeling was superb! I warmly recommend this place!

1  Thank Tenor777
Reviewed 7 October 2013

As I was visiting Rethymno for the first time, I discovered a cozy place to have dinner!
Who could imagine that in a small place like 'Mesostrati' I would experience delicious food, unique hospitality and traditional Cretan music and dancing all at the same time!?
In a small kitchen, Georgia prepares apaki (smoked pork) and home make fries, traditional cheese and fennel pies, mouthwatering cretan dako salad (cretan rust) with tomatoes, feta cheese drizzled with olive oil!!!

On top of that, some days during the week, I had the chance to listen to traditional Cretan music by a small group who seem that they literally play with their heart!
Drinking raki, singing and dancing all night long ....
It is def a 'must go' place for those who wish to have a bite, a drink!

I was really touched by the generosity and the kindness of George and Georgia, the owners of Mesostrati!!!

Make sure to admire the interior of this small restaurant, all the walls are covered with pictures of the past, showing a different view of the Cretan tradition and how important is the music in everyday life! It's about love, hate, pain, courage and strength!

I PROMISE, I WILL VISIT YOU AGAIN PRETTY SOON!

1  Thank insideblue
Reviewed 4 September 2013

This traditional tavern-rakadiko in the old town of Rethymno is the best place for a meal, especially dinner. The food is absolutely amazing, the ingredients fresh and the dishes inventive and simply delicious!!! The atmosphere is wonderful, especially since there is live music and singing most nights. The owner is a paradigm of Cretan hospitality, as he is as friendly and accommodating as possible... A unique place for traditional Cretan cuisine, at very reasonable prices!!!

2  Thank GIANNIS T