“Beautiful hotel in a great location”

Grecotel Creta Palace Hotel
Ranked #12 of 164 Hotels in Rethymnon
Morristown, New Jersey
“Beautiful hotel in a great location”
Reviewed 30 July 2013

I will break the review down into categories....
Room...the room was wonderful. We were upgraded to a suite . It was large had a sofa a nice size deck over looking the ocean . The bed was very comfortable. They brought a twin full size mattress to the room for our son. This was done before we arrived,it was nice that it was all set up and ready when we arrived. His bed was also very comfortable. The room was very clean, with hard wood floors. The bathroom had a separate toilet / shower area that was very modern and filled with marble.The A/C worked perfectly. One of the best temperature controlled rooms on our whole trip,this helped us sleep soundly.Room service cleans the room twice a day. In the am and at night they have a turn down service. It's nice to always have the room organized.
Lobby...was very grand filled with marble and beautiful decor. The lobby had a bar and a few jewelry shops within it.
Hair salon.....had my hair done at Anna's hair salon. She is a expert hair designer. I get my hair done everywhere I go ,and Anna did a fantastic job. My hair is curly so, I love the luxury of having it blown out straight and Anna is a pro. She is also very friendly and gave us some wonderful tips for our trip.
Beach...is a wide sandy beach. The ocean is a beautiful turquoise blue. The waves can be a bit big, as two days the red flag flew due to large surf. The beach is lined with tiki umbrellas and lounge chairs .They also have a beach bar that will deliver drinks and food to your beachfront seat.
Pool...the pool is large ,there are many lounge chairs and umbrellas around . There is also a pool bar with delivery service. The hotel also has lifeguards at both the pool and beach.
Food...we only really had drinks by the pool which were very good. We also had breakfast,breakfast ends at10:30 am and is a buffet. They have a large selection of items to choose from.Our son loved the Crete kids buffet which comes free to all kids. It is offered at lunch and dinner and is fresh and full with a assortment of items. For example, grilled pork, Mac and cheese, fish, pizza, French fries, fresh fruits , and a ice cream station. This was different each day and my son loved the option of choosing his foods and its all FREE.
There are some amazing places to eat close to the hotel. We ate at Zesis which is about two blocks from hotel a easy walk . Cross the street and walk to the first restaurant. The restaurant is traditional crete fare ,it is not fancy. The seating is outdoors and the food is great at a wonderful price. If you leave the hotel and turn right there is a fish restaurant that is not fancy but has extremely fresh fish for a bargain price. Our favorite food spot was called Prima Plura ,it had a beautiful ocean view ...you can not get a better one and the food was amazing. It's a cab ride away about ten minutes worth the trip.
Staff.were very polite and accommodating. We were met upon arrival outside the lobby and brought in for check in. We were brought to a area behind the front desk to check in and were given a drink and a seat while they checked us in.
I booked our room the the manager of the hotel. The process was very smooth and he is very accommodating. We met him on our trip a nice guy.
The location of the hotel is perfect so much to do in the surrounding area. Heraklion is about 1:10 minutes from the hotel and Hania is about 1 hour.....do not do the drive to Hania at night. The roads are windy and there is no lights on the roads and people speed...don't miss the private tour of Knossos. You can book one upon arrival you will skip lines to enter,and the guides are soooo knowledgable . It only costs 60 euro for the private tour which is about 2 hours .

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Jenn F
Giorgos S, General Manager at Grecotel Creta Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
Dear Jenn F,

my name is Giorgos Skoulaxinos, I’m the General Manager of Grecotel Creta Palace.

Thank you very much for your wonderful feedback on Tripadvisor !
I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and especially mention the room accommodation, the service at the pool and on the beach, the Tasty Corner which we offer free for all our little guests and the friendliness of the staff.

It is always a pleasure to read when guests depart from our hotel with the best impressions and memories.

Hoping to have the opportunity to welcome you back at our hotel please do not hesitate to contact me at my personal email address gskoulaxinos@grecotel.gr in order to assist you with anything you may wish.

Giorgos Skoulaxinos

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Minnesota
Reviewed 16 June 2013

This was our first trip to Crete and we took our son for his high school graduation. We were lucky to be upgraded to a bungalow with a private pool and a view of the Mediterranean! The room was beautiful and kept clean throughout the day by staff. We were given a bottle of wine, water and fruit basket as a complimentary gift. A wonderful breakfast buffett was also included in the package. However, we didn't buy any more food or drink at the hotel due to extremely high costs but rather went down the road to the local supermarket or visited the Creta Palace mini market on site to purchase our own drinks and snacks. The beds were harder than we are used to and getting used to putting your toilet paper in a bin (required all through Greece) took a bit but when you travel adapting to the culture you are visiting is expected (rightfully so).

There were activities offered throughout the day and evening but you could easily keep busy just enjoying the sea, pools, and beach. We often visted old town Rethymno just a few miles down the road and that is where we ate most of our meals.

Overall, the resort was an amazing experience that we will never forget and we are grateful to the staff at Creta Palace for making our trip a lifetime memory.

Thank you Creta Palace!

Room Tip: The bunglaows are amazing. Otherwise request sea view rooms. The rooms not sea view are nice but loo...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Melissa A
Giorgos S, General Manager at Grecotel Creta Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 17 June 2013
Dear marneson67,

Thank you very much for your wonderful feedback on Tripadvisor.
I am very glad that you and your family enjoyed your holidays at our hotel and thank you for your positive comments concerning the cleanliness of the room, the friendliness of the staff and the good breakfast quality.
It is always a pleasure when clients depart from our hotel with the best memories.

Hoping to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel, please do not hesitate to contact me in advance at my email address gskoulaxinos@grecotel.gr in order to take personally care of your stay.

Darwin, Australia
Reviewed 13 June 2013

I have sat on this review for a month since we stayed at this hotel as we left quite unhappy and did not have a proper sleep here at all. To a traveller that reads this it is a very accurate account of our stay.

If you read the other moderate reviews of this hotel they are pretty accurate. The previous reviews of unhelpful staff, thieving or deceitful maid, poor renovation, expensive pool drinks, insects, and false promises from the staff. It looks good on the surface and is a pretty hotel but scratch the surface and it is run down. It looks like if you get a good room and a bit of luck you will have no problems but if you get a bad room its tough luck. As a result one of the worst hotel experiences I have ever had, for someone who travels the world regularly.

I will start with the good.

It is in a fairly good spot, if you walk 800m from the hotel there are some good restaurants.
The included breakfast has a wide selection and of good quality, however getting a table can take a while.

The bad.

The air conditioning in the room did not work properly, it blew humid air into the room and was only semi cool. Went to reception after the 1st night and asked for it to be fixed. Never was. We then asked again for it to be fixed on subsequent nights or moved to another room to no avail. The staff did not even try to be helpful. We never had a good sleep here it was a sweat bath, we just could not get cool!

There are ants all over the room and in the bathroom! When booking here we looked at previous reviews that mention ants and insects in the rooms, well its true! We were on the 3rd floor of the main building and there were ants everywhere! Ants on the table, in the bed, along the wall and on your towel when you get out of the shower!! If this happens on the 3rd floor the hotel must be infested! Honestly getting into bed at night you have to brush them off the white sheets.

The dumb beach towel policy. The hotel issues a card at check in for 2 beach towels and you take the card to a booth on the beach and get your towels, at the end of your stay you take the towels to get the card back or you will be charged 30 Euros. No big problem except on the 1st night we left the card on the table with our room key and the maid STOLE/TOOK our card. So we could not get beach towels. Go to reception to get another card and they refused saying a maid would never do that and we HAVE TO PAY 30 Euros! After repeatedly trying to explain we were never given a towel and your maid did take our card they very reluctantly gave us another one. It was a real struggle. Just this display of customer care is a big reason to avoid this hotel.

The broken door. Somebody mentioned in another review of the hotel that the doors are old. Our's was old and broken. The latch was broken so the door would not lock properly leaving us very vulnerable. Again this was politely brought to the staff's attention to again no avail.

The bed was uncomfortable, it was like 2 single beds were joined together and in the middle of the night when we finally could get to sleep you would find yourself stuck in the crack in the middle. lol

The service at the pool was not very good, you would have to wait an eternity just for service then once you order it was another eternity to get what you ordered and it was very pricey.

All in all I would strongly recommend that you avoid this hotel. Every now and again something comes up staying at a hotel that needs to be rectified its a part of life, a good hotel will make every effort to rectify it no questions asked. This hotel does not! Quite the opposite. Everything was a struggle. Don't gamble your holiday on this hotel.

To the manager that makes a point of replying to travellers reviews;
Please explain why your staff were so unhelpful when a hotel guest comes to you with GENUINE concerns with their room you do nothing. It is fine doing a little public relations on here but please do not gloss over that your staff made our stay hell and we could not wait to leave. We came to you nicely and asked please fix our aircon and nothing happened. We came to you politely to get another towel card and a manager blatantly refused and wanted to charge us 30 Euros! Please explain why I have never been treated so poorly at any hotel worldwide. I was really looking forward to a good time at your hotel, such a shame.

Room Tip: Get one with a working door, aircon and free of insects!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Frigid-Frozen-Aussie
Giorgos S, General Manager at Grecotel Creta Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 14 June 2013
Dear Frigid-Frozen-Aussie,

I was very unhappy to read that you did not enjoy your holidays the way that you expected and of course the way that we wish for all of our clients.
I noticed that not proper working of air condition, insects in your room and the defected door were matters that we did not manage to give you the best solution. For all of these I want to apologise to you and most of all to apologise for the way we treated your problems.
Unfortunately, the way of our communication was not a proper one, this is the reason you left our hotel with not good impressions.

But please allow me to give you some explanations:
The hotel has an organised parasites protection for the prevention of insects. Ants on the 3rd floor in the main building are very unusual.
Please note that the protection for insects is running the whole summer season, not only in the main building, but also in all other hotel areas. However, sometimes it takes longer until the protection gets effective.
All our rooms are having new mattresses, max. two years old, actually very wide, thick and comfortable. Most of our rooms are equipped with twin beds, however if someone doesn’t like this, we are able to change the beds to a double one, as soon as we have the information concerning the preferences – wishes of our guests.
But please allow me not to accept your notice about thieving staff. A room maid has nothing to win taking a beach towel card from the room; most probably it has been taken by mistake.

Anyway, for one more time I would like to apologise for the not right treatments of your problems,
I can assure you that your experience was not a typical one for our hotel.
Apart from the nice location, the organised beach, the service and the tasty food, the main reason why guests are still coming to Creta Palace is the friendliness and kindness of our staff, certified from the 30% of our repeater clientele, coming the last 25 years to our hotel.

I think that your experience was “a really bad moment” and it was a pity not meeting you during your holiday to have the opportunity to take personally care of your stay.
I do hope that you will give us a second chance to welcome you back at our hotel, assuring you that my staff and I personally will take good care of your holidays.
In this case please do not hesitate to contact me in advance at my email address gskoulaxinos@grecotel.gr.

Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 9 June 2013

We have been several times in Greece, also at other greecehotells - but the highlights is when visiting Creta Palace. There we always enjoy the best of Greek hospitality, splendid kithchen and beautiful surrondings. We have seen most of your beautiful island, and always look forward to come back as we are going to in july this summer.

Visitors from Oslo

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Arvid R
Giorgos S, General Manager at Grecotel Creta Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2013
Dear Arvid R.,

Thank you very much for your wonderful feedback on Tripadvisor and the positive comments about the good kitchen and the Cretan hospitality, which represents Creta Palace.

As stated, you intend to spend your holidays again at our hotel.
Please do not hesitate to contact me at my email address gskoulaxinos@grecotel.gr,
in order to assist you with your stay.

Remaining at your disposal and looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you in July, I remain

warsaw
Reviewed 8 June 2013

Spent here few nights in May 2013 and was more or less satisfied with the stay. Upon arrival got "upgraded" to bungalow...

The hotel is few decades old, and renowated few years ago. As the title says, everywhere you see things almost done: in the lobby nice chairs + decor, but behind chairs dustballs. New paints, but painter have had shaking hands. Renovated bathrooms downstairs of resto but lock broken and papers missing, rooms renovated but phone, hairdryer and TV ready to presented in 80s museum, CD player works but display broken so you need to guess...

+ check-in very convenient, got juice+hot towel
+ complimentary bottle of wine+fruits upon arrival
+ pool ok
+ sun chairs etc at the beach
+ excellent breakfast, service works fine despite of lot of guests
+ very nice staff at the reception
+ small shops in the bungalow area
+ excellent spa treatments
+ free parking

- almost there everywhere
- hefty prices at the pool -> 2 non-alco drinks 21€
- people reserving chairs at the pool for hours
- ugly neighbourhood, Rethymnon 5km away

We got a room on the left bungalow area, which seems older that the one on the other side where are all the shops etc located.
+ big room, small balcony ok
+ cleanlyness ok
+ bathroom ok
- cockroach found once in the room
- bed was two singles put together

My humble estimate for guests: 40% Russians, 40% Germans+Dutch, 20% rest.

I rate this average as five-star hotel should put more attention to details. No complaints on service!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mokoma
Dear mokoma,

First of all I would like to thank you for your review about the hotel, especially your positive comments concerning the excellent breakfast, the service, the reception staff and the good spa treatments.

Concerning the location please note that the hotel is located on one of the best sand beaches on Crete and Rethymno is located almost in the middle of north Crete,
a very good location to explore west, east and south parts of Crete.
It is a city that caters to the needs of the visitors. There are a lot of places to visit, many old sights to see dating from the 16th century.
Also, in Rethymno many culture events are taking place every year, like the Summer Arts Festival, the Wine Festival, the Cretan Diet Festival and the Renaissance Festival.

Eventhough the hotel rooms and open areas were renovated the last three years ago, we still equip our hotel with new elements. For example this year we changed all the mattresses with more comfortable ones, we equipped all the main bedrooms with 39” TV screens and we always replace items which get destroyed during the season.

Dear mokoma, I would like you to know that we respect all personal opinions, we do not necessarily agree with all comments posted by each guest.
Nevertheless, all comments are taken under careful consideration, as our goal is the constant improvement of the points that each guest mention.

Hoping to have the pleasure of welcoming you again, please do not hesitate to contact me at my email address: gskoulaxinos@grecotel.gr in order to take personally care of your room as per your preference.

Moscow
Reviewed 3 June 2013

The hotel and our stay would be much better, but... We are facing the problems with the room. I carefully selected the hotel and the room type for the vacation with 2 kids. Finally I chose Deluxe Family Bungalow in Creta Palace. The Grecotel brochure (2013) issued in Russian, as well as their official Internet site, promised a spacious bungalow with some features which I liked, such as a large terrace or veranda furnished for 4 persons, the master bedroom with living room, and the colorful kid's room. Those three criteria were not met.
I contacted the reception firstly upon the arrival with the request to change the bungalow as I preferred it on the ground floor. They didn't have anything available, O.K., I understand that.
In a day I contacted the manager and explained that the bungalow I had didn't meet the expectations and Grecotel promises. I was politely explained that the hotel was fully booked, but they'll try to find the replacement. I was shown another bungalow which had a nicer children room and a larger master room, but still lacked a promised veranda for 4 people. Besides, the view was not nice at all, so I decided not to change my room for it.
Now we've been moved to the main hotel building to two connected rooms. One of them has sea view, another has a wall in front of the window. The rooms are not bad, recently renovated, though the doors are really odd and old, with the holes, so the room has very poor sound protection from inside.
To sum it up, I'm really disappointed with the attitude of the hotel management to the guests - why do you give the promises you can't keep? That's not normal at all to cheat the clients....
You usually don't expect such things from well-known 5-star hotels. That's really a pity.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Maria_Mos
Giorgos S, General Manager at Grecotel Creta Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 21 June 2013
Dear Maria_Mos,

my name is Giorgos Skoulaxinos, I am the General Manager of Grecotel Creta Palace.

We are very sorry that from the first moment on we did not manage to satisfy you with the room category you had chosen and it took some time until you were accommodated in a room close to your wishes.

Actually we are not giving promises we are not able to keep.
The room categories are according to the descriptions of our brochures, but of course there can be small differences from room to room.
That is the reason why in all brochures is stated: “All accommodation plans and photos are examples, they may vary and are depending upon the location. All sizes are approximately”.

As you mentioned by yourself, the Front Office Manager gave you some room alternatives, but for your own personal reasons the location did not meet with your preferences.
When the hotel is fully booked – as stated by yourself – the alternatives get less.

I’m still very sorry that we did not manage to satisfy you with the room, but I hope that the personal attention you had from our Front Office Manager and Rooms Division Manager
during your holidays indicates that the team of Creta Palace do care for its customers.

However, we hope you enjoyed hospitality, service and friendliness of the staff, which represent our hotel.

I would really like to give you my personal attention next time if you decide to spend your holidays again at the Creta Palace, allocating you in a room which meets 100% with your expectations. In this case please do not hesitate to contact me in advance at my email gskoulaxinos@grecotel.gr.

Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 20 May 2013

Very nice and luxurious hotel. Very friendly and professional staff being available when you want them to.
Beach was very nice and warm, the sea was nice.
The small houses were nice enough, although the cooling wasnt good enough for a viking used to snow.
The breakfast was _fantastic_, never seen so much food in one place!
Loved it, and would travel again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank espenfjo
Giorgos S, General Manager at Grecotel Creta Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 23 May 2013
Dear espenfjo,

My name is Giorgos Skoulaxinos, I am the General Manager of Grecotel Creta Palace.

Thank you very much for your feedback on Tripadvisor.
I am very glad that you enjoyed your holidays at our hotel and thank you for your positive comments concerning the professional staff, the hotel’s beach and the variety of our breakfast buffet in the main restaurant, which is for us the most important meal of the day.
I’m sure that you tasted the products of the Cretan Corner with its big variety of authentic Cretan specialties.

Hoping to have the opportunity to welcome you back at our hotel, please feel free to contact me at my personal email address gskoulaxinos@grecotel.gr, in order to take personally care of your holidays.

Giorgos Skoulaxinos
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rethymnon
Caramel Grecotel Boutique Resort
#1 of 14 in Adelianos Kampos
Avli Lounge Apartments
Avli Lounge Apartments
#2 of 164 in Rethymnon

Been to Grecotel Creta Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!