“Splendid luxe family holiday”

Grecotel Creta Palace Hotel
Ranked #11 of 165 Hotels in Rethymnon
Oudenaarde, Belgium
“Splendid luxe family holiday”
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We have stayed 1 week in this hotel in the beginning of september with our 2 children (3 and 5).
Before our arrival I had my doubts about this hotel because of several bad reviews on this site. Now I'm glad we have listened to our touroperator because we have had a splendid holiday!
At arrival, the staff welcomed us very warm and friendly.
We stayed in a family duplex room. The room is practical and spacious. I loved our little terrace and the 3 sunbeds which belonged to our room. So when our youngest one did her afternoon sleep we still could relax in our backyard.
Our children loved the kids swimming pool with the 2 slides. For a kids pool it is relatively big and the depth is 85 cm. So even when they can't swim, they can stand right up and play in the water.
After a few days they discovered Grecoland. I was a bit afraid to leave them because they only speak Dutch, but the girls of Grecoland did everything to feel them welcome, especially Georgia.
For us, one of the highlights on a holiday are the meals. We stayed in half board, so we had breakfast and dinner in the hotel. Both were of a very high quality and really delicious. Occasionally we have eaten in the Barbarossa restaurant and the brasserie near the swimming pool. Over there you can eat fresh fish or greek specialities. We liked them both. Again the staff was very / extremely friendly.
Drinks at the restaurants and the bars are normally priced (you can't expect you will pay the same price in a 5 star hotel as in a local pub or restaurant).
And last but not least, at the beach and the beachbar we enjoyed the sunset with a nice cocktail.
Overall we loved the hotel. We stayed here with two small childeren but also couples can have a relaxed vacation. There's plenty of space and things to do separated from the kids area.
We will defintively come back to this hotel when we visit Crete again.

3 Thank 4fammembers
Giorgos S, General Manager at Grecotel Creta Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
Dear 4fammembers,

my name is Giorgos Skoulaxinos, I am the General Manager of Grecotel Creta Palace.

Thank you for your wonderful feedback on Tripadvisor, from which I was very happy to read that you and your family enjoyed your holidays at our hotel.

I appreciate very much that you especially mention the friendliness of the staff, the good food quality at breakfast and dinner, your accommodation and the beach & Beach Bar.

It is also a pleasure to read that your children enjoyed the Grecoland Mini Club, where we offer a lot of activities for our little guests, such as healthy cooking lessons, children shows and active games.
From this year on, additional to all other activities, we provide an exhibition climbing wall for all ages, both children and adults.

Dear 4fammembers, once again I would like to thank you, as it is always a pleasure to read when guests depart from our hotel with the best impressions and memories and intend to visit us again in the future.

When we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again, please do not hesitate to contact me in advance (gskoulaxinos@grecotel.gr) for any assistance you may require.

Giorgos Skoulaxinos

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Sofia, Bulgaria
Reviewed 21 September 2013

We really enjoyed our stay, good beach location, sea view from room. Amazing design of the Lobby area, very classy. Excellent kids club, the ladies there absolutely proffecional -all speaking english, german, our daughter wanted to go there every day and it is outdoors, which is really good-playground with grass and an amazing kids kitchen. We took also a day katamaran- trip to Santorini, which was unforgettable. And what a Food! The restourant, food quality perfect, Salmon with champagne and a live violine player for breakfast, what a start of the day!
The only negative - we think they need to renovate the rooms( especially balkonies needed to be repainted) and we did not like that the people next door can see you while being on the balkoni.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Joro70
Giorgos S, General Manager at Grecotel Creta Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 24 September 2013
Dear Joro70,

my name is Giorgos Skoulaxinos, I’m the General Manager of Grecotel Creta Palace.

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments on Tripadvisor, from which I was very happy to read that you enjoyed your holidays at our hotel and especially mention the good food quality, the beach and its facilities as well as the Grecoland Mini Club with its professional staff.

We would like you to know that all comments are taken under careful consideration,
as our goal is the constant improvement on the points each guest mentions.

In case you would like to spend your holidays next year again at our hotel please do not hesitate to contact me in advance (gskoulaxinos@grecotel.gr), in order to assist you with your room accommodation and wishes.

The Hague
Reviewed 17 September 2013

We just returned from 2 weeks holiday and i thought i would write a review as i was quite confused with differences in opinions and also some contradictory descriptions when i was choosing this hotel. First of all i have to say that this hotel is for FAMILY holiday, so dont try to find romantic and quiet enviroment there.

Overall hotel and facilities

Overall hotel was nice and well maintained although some of the facilities definitely require some update. The service at the hotel was excellent, very helpful personnel either at the reception or at the restaurants (we only used the main one). The quality of room cleaning was outstanding! The only downside i would say was swimming pools - they are quite old and whilst the mail pool with sea water was ok-ish, the kids pool is average - evry cold water and NO baby pool which is quite strange for kids-oriented hotel. I find it also strange that there was no one single place for changing baby dipers at the public area - you may want to consider this!
We had family deluxe bungalow - quite nice and very spacious. It was the most remote room which turned out to be an advantage as it was very quiet (room 643). We did not like it very much at the beginning and the staff was very helpful trying to find the solution but at the end we stayed there and were quite happy.

Beach - nice and sandy. I was mainly concerned with feedabacks saying that there are stones and it was impossible to enter the sea without special shoes. NOT true! yes, there are some stones, but it is not that bad at all. My young kids did not even bother about it. Be careful though that in some areas it gets reasonably deep (for kids!) quite quickly, so whatch out!
The downside of the beach is again - struggle to find sunbeds if you are there after 10am, all taken and people will just not show up. at the same time hotel offered private tents with 4 sunbeds for 490 EUR per week and those were half empty! this is redicilous price, really, especially when you see people with kids struggling to find a place. however there were always sunbeds of course closer to area with motor sports which is the leaset preferred when with kids.

Food - excellent! no complaints! we had full board and enjoyed it all. Outstanding quality food for kids - 3 different types of soups, pizza, pures, chips, etc. The only suggestion here - tasty corner for kids which is available from 11am till 5pm - could move it partially to the beach to allow easier access for young kids. Another one - REDICULOUS price for drinks. I understand it is 5* hotel, but 19 EUR for small bottle of table wine is beyond my expectation. you will sell more if you make it cheaper!

Big respect to Grecoland for making it special for kids - my daughter loved it! really good care and good engagement. Entertainment overall - average. We stayed 2 weeks and on the second week we eralised that most of the shows were the same. Perhaps it was end of the season reason, but i thought it could be more creative.

Overall, nice hotel at the nice beach. I would probably come again but only if it is all inclusive, otherwise you pay too much for extras whilst you already paid quite a lot at first place. I know there are all-inclusive Grecotels, however i chose Creta Palace with a reason, but i am not sure if it offers the best value for money.

1 Thank IrinaGivi
Giorgos S, General Manager at Grecotel Creta Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 18 September 2013
Dear IriniGivi,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments on Tripadvisor.
I was very happy to read that you enjoyed your holidays with us and especially mention the good service, the helpful staff and the Grecoland facilities we provide.

I’m also happy that you enjoyed the sandy beach, where as you stated, the last two years the access to the sea is not so hard as it used to be in the past.
As you already mentioned, even after 10.00 hrs. you can always find sun beds and umbrellas at the side part of the beach. There is no need to be afraid of the water sports, as the water sport centre is at the totally end of the beach. Also, followed by the law, there is a secured channel with safety buoys for the motor bikes.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the quality of food and especially mention the Tasty Corner, as the kids’ menus are very important for us.
This year, all menus have been created by the Grecotel Chefs and have been checked by a qualified dietician.

About the wine prices at the main restaurant we offer a big variety of white, rose and red wines in different price categories. For example, the start price for a big bottle of white wine (750 ml) is € 17.00.

It is a pleasure that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel.
For us, the positive comments and suggestions of our clientele are very important to constant improve our product.

Hoping to have the pleasure of welcoming you back at the Creta Palace, please do not hesitate to contact me in advance (gskoulaxinos@grecotel.gr), in order to assist you with the room – accommodation wishes.

Kiev, Ukraine
Reviewed 14 September 2013

We (a German/Ukrainian family of four) have just returned from a 12-day stay at this hotel and have been very pleased that we chose Creta Palace. We were seeking a family-orientated beach resort and our expectations were fully met.

First, as it should be for a beach resort, the hotel has a lovely sandy beach with clean water. Every second day, the sea had nice waves making swimming a lot of fun.
Second, the hotel is ideal for children. Attention is given to everything starting from special meals for infants and children throughout the day (our daughter is 14 months old) over animation at Grecoland to evening mini disco for children. When we asked for an extention of our room (until 15.00) on the day of our departure, so our child could take a sleep at mid-day, this was granted happily (special thanks to guest relations officer Valeria). Third, we have found that the management and the staff is extremely attentive and service-orientated making a real effort to accommodate our wishes. For example, we have contacted in advance the Hotel Manager Mr. Giorgos Skoulaxinos with a special room request within our room category. He promptly replied and upon arrival we were given a very nice and friendly family bungalow. Fourth, the quality of food was excellent both in the general restaurant as well as in the a-la-carde restaurant Barbarosa. Each dinner at the general restaurant had a theme from fish over Greek national dishes to candle light dinner. Fifth, a major advantage of Creta Palace is its location next to Rethymno, which is one of the nicest Cretian cities, with a romantic old town and port. Sixth, each evening there is an entertainment program at the pool bar (mainly live music), where you can enjoy a drink and relax. Finally, the hotel has adequate and modern sports facilities with two tennis courts and a relatively small, yet modern gym. All in all, we highly can recommend this hotel for families seeking a relaxed and high-quality beach vacation.

2 Thank Hartmut2013
Giorgos S, General Manager at Grecotel Creta Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
Dear Hartmut2013,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor and your so positive comments concerning the hotel, the friendliness of the staff and the food quality at the main restaurant - a la carte restaurant.

Rethymno is a city that caters to the needs of the visitors. There are a lot of places to visit, many old sights to see dating from the 16th century. Also in Rethymno during the summer months many culture events are taking place, such as the Summer Arts Festival, the Wine Festival in the Municipality Garden, the Cretan Diet Festival and the Renaissance Festival.

We were also very happy to read that you enjoyed the hotel’s beach, which is one of the best beaches in Northern Crete with a totally length of 13 km and the free “Tasty Corner” which we offer for free for all our little guests.

Once again I would like to thank you, especially for mentioning the staff’s high quality service and standard. Our target is always to satisfy all wishes of our customers and to fulfil every single expectation.

In case you would like to spend your holidays again at our hotel please do not hesitate to contact me again in advance (gskoulaxinos@grecotel.gr), in order to assist you and your family with anything you may wish.

Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I've been there in May 2013 and since that time I though about hotel's ranking.
There are many pluses, such as food quality, stuff amiability (special respect to Penelopa, lifeguard in children pool).
But the minuses... The rooms need renovation (we lived in bungalow garden view), hairdryer saw the World War II, I think. The prices in restraunts are triple more than in Rethymno. 90% of guests are Ukranians and Russians with ruge maners. The hotel's concept is make they to feel like fish in the water.
I think I will not back again.

Room Tip: Bungalow sea view
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank tyurin
Giorgos S, General Manager at Grecotel Creta Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
Dear tyurin,

Thank you for your comments on Tripadvisor, from which I was very happy to read that you were satisfied with the food quality and the staff service.

Rethymno is located almost in the middle of north Crete, a very good location to explore the island of Crete. It has also a lot of places and sights to visit.
You may find a lot of Tavernas, but you can also experience good food in nice restaurants.
The a la carte restaurant “Barbarossa” which we provide at the hotel is a fine dining restaurant with Mediterranean specialties, fresh fish and seafood, located next to the sea in a unique atmosphere with the best sunset of Rethymno.

Hoping to have the pleasure of welcoming you again, please do not hesitate to contact me in advance (gskoulaxinos@grecotel.gr) in order to assist you with the accommodation and your holidays.

Reviewed 30 August 2013

The hotel is located outside Rethymnon city and to access the town you need a car or a taxi. The hotel has all the amenities which was ideal for the family and the kids had many choice thus we where able to lay back a bit. Overall cleanliness was not ideal in the rooms in comparison with the price we where paying. What i was disapointed though in general was that everything in the hotel was overprices i.e a normal burger would cost 16 euros. overall we had a huge pool bill and restaurant bill which did not correspond to prices in Crete Island.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Andreas C
Dear Andreas C

We would like to thank you for taking the time writing on Tripadvisor, from which I was very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel.

Regarding the points that you are highlighting in your letter I would like to inform you that we take all comments under careful consideration and we want you to know that our goal is the constant improvement on the points that each guest mentions.

Hoping to have the pleasure of welcoming you again at our hotel, please do not hesitate to contact me in advance at my email address gskoulaxinos@grecotel.gr,
in order to assist you with your stay with us.

Αθήνα
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Apparently, the starring system of the Greek hotels is based on the provision of hairdryers and slippers rather than the quality of service. In my opinion, this hotel does not deserve to be called a five star hotel.
First, staff is short of being called professionals. Front desk clerks are rude; they enter into arguments with clients. Restaurant staff lacks refinement, they seem to be overworked, sweaty and annoying in the sense that if you do not hold your plate, they take it away even before you are finished. You also have to queue to get a table at the restaurant. There is no a la carte option, unless you decide to use one of the thematic restaurants of the hotel (at extra charge). Quality of food is OK for a buffet refectory but certainly mediocre, for a five star hotel.
Second, when it comes to swim towels, you are “rationed” a thin, worn blue towel which you have to safeguard through your stay but you can exchange it for a fresh one; albeit they usually run out of towels and they ask you to come back later.
Finding a sunbed by the pool or the sea, is a no nonsense task. If you go looking for one after 8 am, the chances are that you will find none, as blue towels someone has left to “book them” usually cover them. Don’t listen to the hotel saying that their beach staff will find you one : there is nothing they can do as they are not willing to get into arguments with client.
Talking of the sea, for more than half the days we stayed there, the waves were so high, it was dangerous to swim.
Wi Fi Internet is only usable before 7am; it is really non-existent in speed, after that time.
Beds are short (2m), mattresses uncomfortable (you seem to sink in a hole), my pillow stinked, despite the admittedly freshly ironed and clean pillowcase.
Rooms are quite small and cramped.
On the upside, housekeeping is good, landscaping is excellent and the Grecoland staff is very good. Breakfast is good.
Russians are 90% of the guests but I guess that this is OK, for the hotel cares for the money. Three stars would be OK, four stars generous but five stars, no way!

Room Tip: Rooms start with a number (1 to 9) which denotes the wing followed by two more which denote the room...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank EmiliaS74
Giorgos S, General Manager at Grecotel Creta Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 3 September 2013
Dear EmiliaS74,

Thank you for your feedback on Tripadvisor, from which I was very happy to read that you were very satisfied with the location of the hotel, the food quality, especially the breakfast, as well as the housekeeping service.

Unfortunately it seems that other reasons did not let you enjoy your holidays the way that you expected. All feedbacks are taken seriously and have already been addressed to all the team involved.

According to the a la carte restaurant, as you have seen during your stay, we provide three a la carte restaurants. The Asian “Golden Dragon” and Barbarossa fine dining restaurants in the evening, of course with extra charge. At noon you can enjoy the Brasserie, next to the main pool. You also have the possibility to order some snacks at the Beach Bar or to get it served to your sun bed.

You are right that our staff does not want to get into arguments with our clientele,
as we think our job is to provide service.
In case of pick time, if some guests cannot find a sun bed, our staff knows where to find an empty one and bring it to the client the faster it can.
Also, at the beach there are plenty of towels and our staff is happy to provide them, even if someone wishes 2 or 3 of them.

I am very happy that you mentioned the Grecoland and the staff, since this year, additional to all other activities; we provide an expedition climbing wall for the children.
At the Tasty Corner – free of charge for all our little guests – all menus are created by the Grecotel Chefs and have been checked by a qualified dietician.
The Tasty Corner is split to four places: a) the Baby Food Corner b) the Naughty, but Good Food Corner c) the Healthy Corner d) the Dessert & Fruit Corner.

Assuring you that your experience was not a typical one, I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the future. In this case please do not hesitate to contact me in advance (gskoulaxinos@grecotel.gr), in order to take personally care of your stay.

Giorgos Skoulaxinos
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rethymnon
Caramel Grecotel Boutique Resort
#1 of 14 in Adelianos Kampos
Avli Lounge Apartments
Avli Lounge Apartments
#2 of 165 in Rethymnon

Been to Grecotel Creta Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!