“Excellent value for money. Too good to be a 3 star hotel.”

Atrium Ambiance Hotel
Ranked #20 of 175 Hotels in Rethymnon
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I stayed here for two weeks in July 2014 on my own and I have nothing but positives to mention about this hotel. Room was a good size, spotlessly clean and comes with a free air condition and wifi connection and it was cleaned on a daily basis. Food was excellent and you will get a wide range of international cuisine as well as traditional Greek and Cretan dishes. Lots of fresh fruits and cakes are on offer too. I was lucky enough to be there when they arranged a barbecue night for us and they filled the entire back garden with wide range of Greek food, which was extremely tasty. The hotel also has a stylish bar in the back garden and very friendly staff will welcome you. The barman/barmaid can make you any drinks you can imagine. The barman in particular is a very infectious character! The hotel also arranges some entertainment such as Greek dance shows/lessons, professional singer, belly dancing, magic shows and many others on every other evening. Unlike other hotels, Atrium doesn't have any annoying animators that keep shouting at you all day long, which is excellent.
The hotel is situated in a very convenient part of Rethymno. The beach is within 200 metres, banks/Cash machines 100 metres, super markets 100 metres, local buses and there are many bars, cafes and traditional taverns you can go within a short walking distance. The old town of Rethymno is within 15-20mins walk away.
If you want to experience the world famous Cretan hospitality, then I would recommend you to stay at Atrium as the staff are extremely friendly and they will make sure you enjoy your holiday to the maximum.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
6  Thank D H

Reviewed 15 July 2014

We stayed here for two weeks and were thoroughly impressed with this hotel. The pool is
rather small but seems to be adequate for the amount of people using it (I think quite a lot
of guests take the short walk to the beach which tends to leave enough sunbeds & space
around the pool - which is perfect if you prefer the quiet relaxed atmosphere) - however the
pool & surrounding area are in the shade by 2.30 -3 pm. Our room was spacious, well furnished
the bathroom had a large shower and modern fittings - overall better quality than some 4* hotels
I have stayed in. Reception, dining & bar staff all very pleasant, we stayed half board, food is
fine, occasional evening entertainment coupled with walks to Rethymnon old town makes for
a good mix. I would consider coming back to the Atrium for another holiday in the near future.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool area seem to be best located
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Maggie244
Reviewed 14 July 2014

The hotel was chosen amongst the ones that remained 1 week before the travel, but this was one of the best choices I've ever made.
Out of 3+ hotels, this one offers the best service and comfort. Going there, I was prepared for a simpler hotel with the money I'd paid, so excellent service and nice food surprised me pleasantly.
Considering it was still high season in Crete, I came across several downgrades, when people came to more expensive hotels nearby, but those hotels were full, and Atrium hosted those unlucky ones for 2-3 days. So, they had breakfast and supper with us, and went for lunch to their hotel, as Atrium suggested half board only. Those guests told that our hotel food was about the same, sometimes better than what they had in 4*.
From my experience, I came to prefer half board to All inclusives, so this variant suited me perfectly - the Embankment at the sea from offers a variety of cafes and takeaways, so if you are in the beach, just cross the road and have whatever you like.
As for the rooms, they were rather small, but I like mine, because it was very quiet, and the old furniture added its charm, because the room did not look shabby at all.
The TV was small indeed, but I didn't come to watch TV in Crete :-)
It should also be borne in mind that half board included tea, coffee and juices in the morning, but all drinks at supper (including water) to be paid for, and no external drinks are allowed at supper. So you either buy something from the restaurant, or go to your room and finish supper there in the balcony facing the yard with evening concerts and entertainment. But the repertoire suits rather elderly guests than young ones :-)

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank Oksana P
Reviewed 13 June 2014

A perfect choice at a great price!
We are 100% satisfied with the facilities. Rooms are very light and clean, with an excellent bathroom. The TV is small, very few channels, but who wants to watch TV in Crete?! Bear in mind that there's no tea/coffee or kettle in the room. However, we managed to get a kettle and cups.

Breakfast is decent, the coffee could be better and hotter, but in general ok. Go for greek specialities such as greek yogurt and honey or cheese pie. Sadly, almost no fruit were served.
Early breakfast is not something I would die for - almost no choice.

As for the staff - reception personnel is very friendly and helpful, which i can't say about restaurant ladies. Getting fresh coffee was a challenge.

Don't miss a chance to pick up a book from a bookcrossing shelf in the lounge. Mostly German books, obviously - since the majority of guests are German. Which is not a bad thing!

I totally recommend this hotel to single travellers or groups of friends.

Room Tip: A room facing the pool is the best option. 2nd floor.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank BandageGirl
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Common area of the hotel are really nice, including the breakfast area and the swimming pool. Rooms instead are of poor quality. They need a refurbishment. Shower is really tiny and uncomfortable. Staff is very nice and helpful. Regarding the food, do not expect quality. You can eat much better and for a cheaper price in any tavern in the town center. Overall it was a pleasant experience but I doubt I would return to the Atrium if I will come back to Rethymno.

Room Tip: Rooms with a view on the swimming pool are the only with a decent WIFI signal.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank patri_soria
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I have seen this hotel available at quite high prices but I paid very little. I got it for about £10 a night half board but with no information about the room so only dared book four nights there in case I was put in the broom cupboard.

Reception was really welcoming and the room I was given was positively palatial (seemed especially so as I had just come from the Fereniki in Georgioupolis!) The room was huge. The excellent bathroom was gleaming and there were nice touches like wine glasses and an opener. It was also great to have free AC, which I had on cool the first two nights and heat the second two nights when the weather changed. I was overlooking a busy main road but you couldn't hear it much with the double glazing and my balcony got lots of sun, which was what I had requested.

The food seems to have got quite good reviews but I thought it was pretty so so and there wasn't much choice. The drinks were expensive and the food didn't seem to justify an expensive bottle of wine. It would have been nice if they had carafes of local wine but I suppose that is what they make the money on. The bar was good at happy hour 6 till 7pm 30% off but a bit overpriced otherwise.

The location was good - not far from the beach and a short walk into town. The hotel was unbelievably good for what I paid and I would have scored it excellent if the food had been better.

Room Tip: A few rooms appear to be pretty much basements so I would try not to have one of those. Rooms on the...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank SiouxieSue
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Well presented hotel, good clean look, rooms with balcony over looking pool and gardens a plus (all though bed a tadge firm for my liking), batroom fully functioning. Staff friendly and attentive, even got a bithday cake delivered out of the blue to my room Oct 17th 2013. good choice at meal times. Just a few minutes from the beach, miles of sand to choose from, formal bits to quiet bits. Old town worth a number of visits, lots of bars, eateries, shops and only a 20 minute stroll from hotel. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Pool view and gardens 3rd or 4th floor is where i would aim for
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo