“Beautiful Venetian villa and great staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Casa Vitae Hotel

Casa Vitae Hotel
Ranked #3 of 167 Hotels in Rethymnon
Chicago
“Beautiful Venetian villa and great staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights in June of 2012. We had taken the bus from Iraklion and took a taxis to get to the hotel. We did not understand that the center of Rethymnon in the "old town" was not open to cars and essentially paid 5 Euros to go about 3 blocks in the taxis, where upon the cab driver emptied our suitcases on the sidewalk and told us to hike it the rest of the way. It wasn't far, but just not what I was expecting.

We found the hotel without too much issue and fell in-love with the beautiful villa. Our room had a little balcony that looked over the outside breakfast area. The decor was very beautiful. The venetian glass lamps looked lovely, but were a bit too bright as they didn't have lamp shades and the stand up jacuzzi wasn't exactly what I was expecting either. My poor husband is 6'3 and did not fit well into the shower.

We enjoyed the breakfast and the wonderful staff. They were able to rent a car for us, we were picked up from out hotel and driven to the rental place. When we returned from our 1 day trip, we just parked the car by the hotel and dropped the keys off at the reception, convenient! The staff gave us great recommendations for places to see on our excursion and we had a wonderful day running around Crete.

Of our whole Greek vacation, I loved Rethymnon the most with it's old world charm, great food, inexpensive shops and friendly atmosphere. This hotel was the icing on the cake and I would stay there again without question!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Amunda

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Harstad, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2012

A little, romantic and surprisingly quiet oasis in the middle of a rapid tourist destination. Our taxi driver took us on a 5 minutes walk from the parking place near the fortress, through the narrow and charming streets of The Old Town late in the evening. And there it was; Casa Vitae, like a revelation with its old, beautiful stone walls, inside an arched gateway with gently dribbling water in the little fish pool on the patio and a smiling and charming Yana in the reseption, welcoming us with her warm smile. We immediately felt like coming home. The junior suite, Daphne with lot of space, jacuzzi, comfortable bed, was lovely, clean and ready for us after the long journey from Northern Norway. We felt lucky to have chosen this room in the upper part of the little hotel with the balcony overlooking the patio and some of the surroundings outside. During our stay both Yana and of course Maria and Athina succeeded in making our 2 weeks stay so perfect; great service, always at our disposal with any help we could ask for, always smiling faces and a humoristic comment. The breakfasts became something more than a tasty meal. Athina even made us a special, gorgeous breakfast for our very early deparure. We also would like to mention the man in the nabour house, who really contributed to some very romantic, greek evenings, with his bouzouki and melancolic song, as we sat dreaming on our balcony with cold white wine.
A perfect place for a romantic, "grown-up" vacation!! If yoy're going to Rethymno, don't hesitate to choose the Casa Vitae. You'll never regret it!
A million thanks to Maria, Athina, Yana and the cleaning ladies for making our holiday so perfect!!
We already miss you! Hope you liked the wine we bought you as a little symbol of our gratitude..:)
Bjarne & Anne Lise

Room Tip: The junior suite, Daphne, is perfect for a romantic holiday for a couple. Good space, jacuzzi, balco...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2012

I stayed 4 nights at Casa Vitae in July 2012 on a friends recommendation. It was a wonderful experience. The hotel is in a great location to explore the old town and is an oasis of calm and quiet. It provided a great base and is very efficiently run wth incredibly friendly staff. Most of all I liked the atmosphere and decor - rooms are lovely with murals and nice fixtures - and the small courtyard full of flowers to sit and have breakfast in. It was lovely waking up in the morning hearing the fountain tinkling in the courtyard with the sun streaming in.If you want a nice boutique hotel then this is a great choice. Avli restuarant is nearby, rated #1, and the food is outstanding Cretan cuisine, so a helpful combination. Parking near the big police station on the waterfront is easy and it's a 2 minute walk into the pedestrianised old town to Casa Vitae. No traffic and no noise. Most importantly I'd go back again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Mitchkew
NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2012

The staff is exceptionally helpful - with directions, information, even carrying the luggage upstairs to the rooms. The room was very clean and well appointed. The hotel is very close to all the attractions of Rethymno. The minibar in the room was stocked with some of the most
reasonably priced food! The breakfast was good.

I did not see a telephone in the room. WiFi does not work in the rooms because of thick walls.

If you take a bus to Rethymno, the bus stop is about 6 blocks away from the hotel. Since the hotel is in the pedestrian zone, your option is to walk to the hotel from the bus station, which takes about 10 minutes (half of it in the pedestrian zone.)

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

Casa Vitae itself is a beautiful little place that is immaculately kept and does kinda feel like a luxury resort that you'd get as part of some 'wellness treatment' package. Not that I've ever had one of those before. The rooms are definitely high class (we got the superior room) but Maria is an amazing host and just a lovely person. Going above and beyond is not saying enough and, even though the plans for some surprises I had wanted for my recent engagement didn't work out in the end, I felt like Maria appreciated the 'romance' I was trying to create for my partner and I. My partner and I were made to feel that special we bought Maria a little bottle of wine as a token of our gratitude. Would highly recommend if you like staying at places that value warm and friendly service that will work with you for planning that something extra 'special'. Little other things like complementary laundry service and still serving us breakfast even though we had technically 'missed it' make this place old fashioned in its awesomeness. Like.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Europetravellererer
Bergen, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2012

.. of this wonderful place. The beauty of this secluded oasis lingers, two months after returning home. The atmosphere so pleasant, the extraordinary service from all the staff - the other guests obviously inspired to contribute to a perfect stay.
Just go there !

Couple from Bergen, Norway

Room Tip: We stayed at the Amarylles suite inside the courtyard - perfect
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank olav_sivertsen
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2012

"You've been upgraded," the proprietor (Marie?) told me when I arrived at the Casa Vitae. I don't know why, but oh boy, I just loved the experience. I was in the Daphne, a fabulous room with a jacuzzi. The room itself was roomy and just gorgeous, the staff was so helpful and pleasant. I had booked an early-morning hike, so they brought up a generous breakfast tray for me the night before. There's a kettle to make coffee in the room. I used the map on the Expedia site to help me find my way to the hotel from the bus station; it wasn't difficult. The hotel is in a nice central location making it easy for me to explore the lovely Old Town, fortress and seafront. On my second morning I got to experience breakfast in the peaceful courtyard and it too was more than generous. I really loved this hotel and was surprised at how reasonably priced it was.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank WillaTravel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rethymnon
Rimondi Boutique Hotel
Kapsaliana Village Hotel
Pepi Studios
Pepi Studios
#5 of 167 in Rethymnon

Been to Casa Vitae Hotel? Share your experiences!