“Yperia-nothing really special...”

Yperia Hotel
Ranked #3 of 41 Amorgos B&B and Inns
“Yperia-nothing really special...”
Reviewed 30 June 2013 via mobile

We spent in Yperia hotel 4 nights. Our overall rating would be somewhere between poor and average for the price/value factor. You can easily get for less money than we paid good quality studios in very close neighbourhood.
The room was quite clean (cleaned everyday, towels exchanged almost everyday). What I found very bizzare was the shower cabin in our bathroom which was very tiny plastic cabin, like made for spaceships, it was very inconvenient for me being toll man taking shower there. The other bizzare thing was the toilet seat hanging on extremely high level, which was very uncomfortable when using it.
WIFI connection was not operational in our room (checked on 2 different iPad's and iphone). We were able to get a signal close to the swimming pool, although when we finally get connected the connection was very, very slow.

Regarding the swimming pool - be prepare for salt water (from the sea?), it is not fresh water inside, which seems to be the next "saving" made on guests. Right now, just a day after we left yperia I am sitting in in Agios Prokopios in Naxos next to the swimming pool with fresh, clean water, where we get much better studios for less money with decent breakfast.

And one more thing - if You like to have good decent breakfast don't count on it in Yperia. Te choice of food is very limited and you will get each day exactly the same food, so having the breakfast for more than 2 days is very monotonous. Although I have to admit: they have very good fresh bread and very good fresh orange juice. What I missed in the breakfast was some sort of scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages, or maybe even simple vegetables like tomatoes or cucumbers.

I think the owners are looking only for the guests that will come and spend lots of money at the overpriced pool bar.
They might say, I am too nicety, but because of my work I travel a lot, spending a lot of my time in different hotels plus I also travelled many other places in Greek islands and I can say one thing: the yperia hotel is nothing more than a studios te place trying very hard to be treated as the hotel, but it's not. If it would be a hotel, then at least the retion would be operational whole day. The otherroblem was with payment-when I wanted to pay by credit card, as I was informed by the owner: there was some system problem and they couldn't accept my credit card payment, fortunately I had enough of cash with me-so be prepared for such a surprises as well if You want to go for "yperia adventure".

In overall I wouldn't recommend this hotel to my friends and I am 100% sure I would not come back there especially if in whole island you can find plenty of very nice, clean, spacious and very well equipped studios offering better value for lower prices.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Albert N
yperiahotel, Owner at Yperia Hotel, responded to this review, 4 July 2013
Thank you for the “objective” review.

We have noticed the small shower cabins in 7 of our rooms and we are in process of changing them but it is not a big problem at the moment for our current customers because they can enjoy the jacuzzi function they have. Anyway we didn't make them small because we are trying to save.
Everybody can see when enters our rooms that the hand made furnitures the hand made iron beds in island style or our bed mattresses with the quality bed seats and coverings, that we are focused on creating a home environment for our customers, without caring for the cost but for the result.

About the Wifi, it is slow because in Amorgos we cannot get a higher Internet speed at the moment. Yperia has the biggest. Unfortunately it goes until 2000mps.

We just don't understand the problem of having sea water in the pool. We and our guests find it better then fresh (not salted) water.
Just for your information salted water cost more because it damages the machine of cleaning faster but it is something that we want to offer to our customers, furthermore, using sea water we are protecting the environment.

Our breakfast offers fresh orange juice, Amorgos honey, real Yogurt (not like yogurt type), cereals, nutella, homemade Jam, any type of coffee, home made cake, toast, eggs cooked in any way you wish ( scrambled eggs, boiled eggs, omelet, - you just have to ask for it, like our other guests do)

Now about the credit card problem we ask sorry from part of the bank for being down the system that day and your payment could not proceed.

If I remember well we have offered you an alternative way of payment that day that you didn't accept. Instead you left angry because we have explained to in a very polite way that we don't make discounts and that we want all costumers to have the same pricing policy.

I think this is a fair thing to do after all. Don't you think?

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Greek first
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 20 May 2013

I just returned from a 7-nights-stay in this hotel and am fully satisfied. My room had much space and contained very aesthetic hand-made furnitures. In the morning I stepped on the balcony and had a perfect sea-view. The decor in the hotel such as paintings are all made with a great love to detail and create a warm and artistic athmosphere. The staff offered a very friendly service and was always reachable when I had questions such as where to find interesting parts of the island to visit. Especially I enjoyed the pool-bar a lot, which offered cocktails, soft drinks and coffee-specialities (I can recommend the capuccino freddo wich I drank every day). Two thumbs up for the Yperia hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Melanie N
UK
Reviewed 4 March 2013

We stayed here for 5 nights in June 2012 and really enjoyed it. The Hotel is clean, simply furnished with spacious rooms and friendly staff. We wanted a pool (although that's not absolutely neccesary as you are only a couple of minutes from the lovely beach) and we wanted to be in a quiet location but close enough to walk to the village centre with its handful of bars, tavernas and shops. Yperia ticked all the boxes. We had looked at the Hotel Aegialis which was more expensive (and had more facilities) but we were happy we chose Yperia which, for our needs, is in a far superior location. The breakfasts were good typical Greek affairs and when you have to move on to the next Island it's a two minute walk to the port so no worries about transfers or taxis. We sat by the pool until the ferry was about 50 yards away then we strolled down to meet it. We will definitely stay at Yperia again.

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 12 January 2013

We stayed here back in September with two children in one of the family rooms. The room itself was clean, comfortable, spacious and had a small balcony with a lovely view. My only complaint, and I am being picky, was that the small bathroom lacked a shower curtain and this tended to leave the bathroom quite sodden during peak use, however having said that the room was serviced every day. The Hotel complex included a swimming pool which the children liked and breakfast which was included in our costs was lovely and served by the pool every morning by the most delightful ladies. If we should ever return to Amorgos we would most definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank harbar1
sint pieters leeuw
Reviewed 4 November 2012

Yperia hotel is located in a quiet area close to the village centre: 200m to the port,restaurants and shops and 500m to the sandy beach (the best on Amorgos). The rooms are spacious and very clean, staff was extremely friendly and breakfast was delicious. Our room on the top floor opposite the swimming pool had a large terrace with late afternoon sunshine and a beautiful sunset every evening.

Room Tip: Try to stay in a room opposite the swimming pool: large terrace, a lot of sunshine in the afternoon...