“Amorgos!”
Review of Yperia Hotel

Yperia Hotel
Ranked #4 of 41 Amorgos B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

We had a great stay at Yperia; starting from the taxidriver picking us from ferry (Katapola) at 3.00 am.. Really nice staff, breakfast ok, really comfortable beds. I think there's lot of different varieties in a category "superior sea view" - ours view towards a garden plot of locals and some sea also. Anyway we enjoyed ;-). Wi-Fi a bit up-and-down. Don't forget to visit villages above Lagada and Tholaria!

Stayed: June 2014
There are newer reviews for Yperia Hotel

Reviewed 2 June 2014

This is a good set of rooms with more than comfortable beds and a pool. I don't think that it can call itself a boutique hotel though as there are many things to be finished such as the pipe that stick out in various places and fittings that move like the soap dish!
The room was straight onto the road and another apartment block could look straight into our room so it made sitting on the balcony trying to watch the sunset a little uncomfortable.
We were woken up several times with road noise (ferries must have been coming in early morning?)
Friendly owner, basic breakfast. You'd be better going to the local restaurants for a cheaper alternative

Room Tip: ask for a room away from the road
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank emmaLeeds
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I’ve stayed in this Hotel for 4 nights in April 2014.
The hotel overlooks the magnificent small harbor of Aigialis. To the left , perched on the mountain village Lagada and to the right the small island Nikouria, clogging the bay . Amazing view. The room was spotlessly clean with a great balcony and excellent bathroom with Jacuzzi . For breakfast you had many choices. Traditional with excellent local honey , fruits , bread , cheese, yogurt and jam , and also hot plates i.e. eggs , bacon etc.
You could also make tea from local herbs, which I highly recommend.
The staff were very friendly and helpful and we had personal contact with the owner who was always willing to answer any of our questions.
Generally a wonderful hotel which I highly recommend.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Nikos G
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Stayed here in June2012 and 2013, the new beds arrived in 2013 and are the most comfortable i have ever slept on in Greece. The hotel is spotlessly clean with great views of the port. It has a lovely pool with great views. Little extras make the difference and there are contsant updates and improvements happening all the time, apart from the new beds, safes in the room, free pool towels and quality sun loungers. Antonis who owns the hotel is a really good guy and is always there to help and his mother makes a great breakfast. Having spent nearly two weeks in Amorgos the Yperia offers the best value for money accomodation that I saw.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank sterob2009
Reviewed 30 August 2013

We had a triple room,me my wifa and my daughter and we had a very good time. They picked us from the port and brought us to the hotel.
The room is spacious and the balcony has great view. Our daughter spent many afternoons there drawing while we enjoyed our coffee.
There is a very nice beach close, the stuff is friendly and the room clean everyday. I don't know if we will ever come back to Amorgos but this would be our choice again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank GREG154154
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Aegiali is just a small town and the hotel is set on the hill a hundred yards or so from the sea front. Our room was absolutely lovely - quite spacious with high ceilings, white walls and traditional dark furniture. Simple, airy, and so elegant. We had a large balcony with a view of the jetty, endlessly fascinating seeing the comings and goings, also the view of the gardens below us, so many vegetables in beautifully straight rows. The bathroom was perfectly adequate altho an update could provide some shelf space perhaps.
Best of all were the lovely staff - our room and the hotel were kept immaculately clean and the room-maid was such a sweet, hard-working girl. The breakfast was served by two very nice ladies and the fresh orange juice and good coffee would put many more expensive hotels to shame.
We had a lovely week on Amorgos and altho one would not come to the island for the beaches the walking is wonderful, the people are lovely, the restaurants brilliant, and this hotel alone would tempt us back!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JCD15
Reviewed 30 June 2013

We spent in Yperia hotel 4 nights. Our overall rating would be somewhere between poor and average for the price/value factor. You can easily get for less money than we paid good quality studios in very close neighbourhood.
The room was quite clean (cleaned everyday, towels exchanged almost everyday). What I found very bizzare was the shower cabin in our bathroom which was very tiny plastic cabin, like made for spaceships, it was very inconvenient for me being toll man taking shower there. The other bizzare thing was the toilet seat hanging on extremely high level, which was very uncomfortable when using it.
WIFI connection was not operational in our room (checked on 2 different iPad's and iphone). We were able to get a signal close to the swimming pool, although when we finally get connected the connection was very, very slow.

Regarding the swimming pool - be prepare for salt water (from the sea?), it is not fresh water inside, which seems to be the next "saving" made on guests. Right now, just a day after we left yperia I am sitting in in Agios Prokopios in Naxos next to the swimming pool with fresh, clean water, where we get much better studios for less money with decent breakfast.

And one more thing - if You like to have good decent breakfast don't count on it in Yperia. Te choice of food is very limited and you will get each day exactly the same food, so having the breakfast for more than 2 days is very monotonous. Although I have to admit: they have very good fresh bread and very good fresh orange juice. What I missed in the breakfast was some sort of scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages, or maybe even simple vegetables like tomatoes or cucumbers.

I think the owners are looking only for the guests that will come and spend lots of money at the overpriced pool bar.
They might say, I am too nicety, but because of my work I travel a lot, spending a lot of my time in different hotels plus I also travelled many other places in Greek islands and I can say one thing: the yperia hotel is nothing more than a studios te place trying very hard to be treated as the hotel, but it's not. If it would be a hotel, then at least the retion would be operational whole day. The otherroblem was with payment-when I wanted to pay by credit card, as I was informed by the owner: there was some system problem and they couldn't accept my credit card payment, fortunately I had enough of cash with me-so be prepared for such a surprises as well if You want to go for "yperia adventure".

In overall I wouldn't recommend this hotel to my friends and I am 100% sure I would not come back there especially if in whole island you can find plenty of very nice, clean, spacious and very well equipped studios offering better value for lower prices.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Albert N
yperiahotel, Owner at Yperia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2013

Thank you for the “objective” review.

We have noticed the small shower cabins in 7 of our rooms and we are in process of changing them but it is not a big problem at the moment for our current customers because they can enjoy the jacuzzi function they have. Anyway we didn't make them small because we are trying to save.
Everybody can see when enters our rooms that the hand made furnitures the hand made iron beds in island style or our bed mattresses with the quality bed seats and coverings, that we are focused on creating a home environment for our customers, without caring for the cost but for the result.

About the Wifi, it is slow because in Amorgos we cannot get a higher Internet speed at the moment. Yperia has the biggest. Unfortunately it goes until 2000mps.

We just don't understand the problem of having sea water in the pool. We and our guests find it better then fresh (not salted) water.
Just for your information salted water cost more because it damages the machine of cleaning faster but it is something that we want to offer to our customers, furthermore, using sea water we are protecting the environment.

Our breakfast offers fresh orange juice, Amorgos honey, real Yogurt (not like yogurt type), cereals, nutella, homemade Jam, any type of coffee, home made cake, toast, eggs cooked in any way you wish ( scrambled eggs, boiled eggs, omelet, - you just have to ask for it, like our other guests do)

Now about the credit card problem we ask sorry from part of the bank for being down the system that day and your payment could not proceed.

If I remember well we have offered you an alternative way of payment that day that you didn't accept. Instead you left angry because we have explained to in a very polite way that we don't make discounts and that we want all costumers to have the same pricing policy.

I think this is a fair thing to do after all. Don't you think?