“Back Again!”

Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 11 August 2012

6th trip to Folegandros and again we ate "at least" once per day at To Spitiko. Still our favorite place to eat in Greece. Casual place, great tasting food, friendly family-run place.

We worked our way through the menu during our 7 days. Everything is good, but we do have some favorites. Goat with Lemon Sauce (or Red Sauce.. can't decide), Fava, Tomato Salad with local cheese & capers, Beetroot Salad. There is nothing I would not order again. Several times.

We arrived in mid-May and almost every afternoon we wandered by To Spitiko either to eat lunch or see what was cooking for dinner. So, we saw the tables covered with herbs drying in the sun (oregano, rosemary, bay leaves, caper berries) and freshly picked capers being cleaned (buds and leaves separated) in preparation for use in the kitchen. I had been meaning to ask where I could buy the capers used in the dishes since they are unusually good. Now I know why!

We like to order 4 items and share them all - one meat & 3 vegetable dishes. The vegetable dishes are wonderful.. so I wonder why anyone would order fried potatoes instead of beetroot, fava, greek or tomato salad, tomato or zucchini balls, herb pie.... I mean.. fried potatoes are OK at so many places in the world, but the veggie dishes here are just amazingly tasty. And pretty.

The price is a great value for the quality of food served. Fresh, local seasonings & cheese... can't beat it.

I uploaded photos of some of the dishes and also of capers & spices in preparation.

Irene.. next time we are coming back for the caper berries dish... Sorry we could not stay long enough for you to prepare it for us. If we'd only mentioned it sooner....

2  Thank indotraveler
There are newer reviews for To Spitiko

Reviewed 4 August 2012

The smallest but best home cooking on the island, this tiny restaurant is located at the end of the village, we just stumbled upon it by chance, and we ate there every day after trying all restaurants on the different little plazas .
Irene make a superb moussaka and one can see that she love cooking. try it if you find this little relaxing gem.

1  Thank joelizSanFrancisco
Reviewed 26 July 2012 via mobile

The food there isn't something special. There are better places to eat! The atmosphere isn't cosy and the service not quick and helpful at all. How in such a tiny kitchen can a man cook so many dishes???

Reviewed 24 July 2012

Dear VB1306, I think you are overreacting… I live in Folegandros and I have eaten in that restaurant a thousand times. I was more than satisfied all the times with the food and the cleanliness. Ok the service is not always perfect but it’s a simple family run business, they are not professional waiters. But you are in a small Greek island, what do you expect?!

2  Thank DespinaGR
Reviewed 23 July 2012

I hate to give such a negative review; however this was one of the worst meals I have has in a taverna in Greece. The food was average but the service was borderline inhospitable compared to other establishments. The final straw was walking through the kitchen to use the customer toilets (!) and it was far from clean.