“Some horses are dangereous”

Naxos Horse Riding Club
Ranked #23 of 50 Outdoor Activities in Naxos
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Ride through the 'jungle roads' onto the beach. Most tours ride through the sea to a small island. We stop on the way back at a beach cafe to buy a drink and enjoy the view across to Paros or in the evening watch the sunset.All abilities are catered for from beginners to advanced riders.
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We rode in a group of 15 guests with 4 guides. The ranch has a total of 25 horses, most of whom are rescue horses. Many are poorly trained and badly behaved. There were 4 horses on our ride who decided to drop to the ground more than once with riders on and then roll in the sand. While most of us were able to get out of our stirrups and avoid injury, but my brother was not so lucky. He suffered bruised ribs and had to take pain killers for 10 days. Linda knows which horses do this, yet she continues to subject her guests to dangerous rides on these misbehaved horses.

3  Thank pvalleygal
Linda B, Club President at Naxos Horse Riding Club, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

We are sorry you did not enjoy your ride with us. We accept informed constructive criticism. However we feel that some of your comments are unfair. Firstly four horses did not roll. This is NOT a common occurrance. Any horse who misbehaves on a ride is only ridden by staff until the problem is addressed. Some of our horses are rescues but that in itself does not affect behaviour. All of the horses are schooled on a regular basis. As experienced riders I would expect that you would understand that even the most placid horse may be subject to an off day.
We did not know of your brothers injury until a day later but if we had been informed on the day would gladly have taken him to the hospital.

There are newer reviews for Naxos Horse Riding Club

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Our family booked in for a 3 hour ride around Naxos......what an experience!! We had three guides with us who were very knowledgable and friendly. We rode in the water, stopped, had a drink at one of the island bars and headed back. It was a dream come true for us, and definite must experience for everyone!

1  Thank Patrickmum
Reviewed 16 February 2014

I have been lucky enough to visit in the summer and winter season and both times were amazing! I am an experienced rider, so being able to have a gallop along the stunning white beaches of Naxos made a dream come true! During my experience in the summer season, I was in a mixed ability group, this was no problem, the staff were attentive to the beginners in our group but also wanted to make sure the experienced riders enjoyed there self as well. By coming to in the low season, it gave me the chance to go on an all day ride. The only word that can describe it is AMAZING! We rode over mountains to a village called Melanes and then we stopped and had a traditional Greek tervana lunch, it was a beautiful way to see what the island is like in low season. The staff and are well trained and caring. AND most of all the horses are well cared for and looked after, it’s a lovely thing to see. I recommend this is the first of the advantages you take when you get to Naxos!

2  Thank kayleigh19882014
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I thoroughly recommend visiting this riding school, the staff are very welcoming and friendly and their knowledge of riding and horses is second to none. I enjoyed myself immensely and when I return to Naxos I will certainly visit them again. When visiting this beautiful island your first visit must be to this excellent and enjoyable riding school.

3  Thank Charron M
Reviewed 28 October 2013

We went with a mixed group of experienced friends and beginners and had a lovely time. We felt well looked after by the professionel guides and the well trained horses. I loved riding along the beach and through the water. Best thing was the canter along the beach. Something every rider dreams of. Next time, when I come to Naxos I would like to book a whole day ride, which are offered in low season. Would be great to see some ancient sites on horeseback.

1  Thank Silke S