“Excellent value for the price”
Review of Effie Hotel

Effie Hotel
Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Patmos
Tucson, Arizona
“Excellent value for the price”
Reviewed 15 June 2013

We've been coming to Greece for 30 years and for us, hotels like the Effie epitomize simple Greek hospitality. For 35€, our room had a balcony with a view of the bay. The room was a nice size for this class of hotel, it was very clean,the bathroom was good-sized, and the air conditioner was quiet and efficient, plus there was charge for the use of the AC. We notice that a couple of reviewers complained about the meager breakfast, but we're guessing they are new to Greece. Traditional Greek breakfasts usually consist of coffee or tea, bread and butter, and maybe fruit or tomato. Perhaps someone expecting a full scale American or British should book a five star hotel or consider not traveling out of the country. Just saying..... We already recommended this hotel for friends later this year, as it was recommended to us..

Stayed June 2013
3 Thank MJS-Tucson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Greek first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 23 March 2013

We stayed here with a group of students. The rooms were sufficient. The location was good. The breakfast was meager. But the young man at the desk spoke English and was very helpful. The island is beautiful and we loved walking all over it. I do think we were here out of season since some stores were not open.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank iluvboston
Athens
Reviewed 24 August 2012

I have stayed in EFFIE hotel for 3 nights.
Location is quite good as it is just 5 minutes walk from the port.
Room is really simple, clean and just for a sleep, as there is nothing attractive to keep you inside this hotel for more hours.
Eleni, the manager of the hotel is kind and helpful, however in the afternoon/evening hours and early morning, the responsible is the lady working at the kitchen/prepares breakfast. Do not expect anything from her, as she does not have the sense of hospitality. I asked her to arrange a transfer with their mini-van to the port because I needed some help to carry my suitcase (i was travelling alone). The result was that 10 minutes before of the departure of the boat, I was still trying to find a solution in the hotel as well as the person to help me with the suitcase and the transfer. Finally they did not service me and I had to carry all baggage by myself (more than 40 stairs from ground floor to my room, without elevator - not only uncomfortable but dangerous as well).
About the breakfast, I don't know, as I booked a room without breakfast.
The price was ok, I would say that it is good value for the money but I recommend at the management to select better the staff working there as at this difficult period of crisis, the client needs friendly and good service at least.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
7 Thank MariaPap
Athens,Greece
Reviewed 27 August 2009

Pros: Quite location at Skala near the port, cheap, clean.
Cons: Poor breakfast (who's gonna find the honey), noisy room doors, personnel with no professional behaviour nervus and bad-tempered.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank akisla
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 15 April 2007

We needed a place to put up our feet during a one-day stay on Patmos - we came in on the morning ferry and were returning to the ferry at midnight. It was February and nearly impossible to find a hotel that wasn't closed for the season- but a travel agent came through with this one. For that, we're thankful.

The hotel is an easy walk from the ferry terminal- maybe 10 or 15 minutes, just up the hill off the main road. Our room was quiet and clean but not very luxurious. My husband thinks the uncomfortable mattresses on the twin beds may have dated from World War II. There was a small shower, but no tub. Our room had a door out to a porch on the roof, with nice views of the island.

When we started to get hungry for dinner we checked downstairs in the dining room. No food service- it was February. As it got a bit later, several restaurants opened for dinner, although their menus were limited because it was the off-season. We loved the peace of Patmos in February but it had its drawbacks!

We were glad the Hotel Effie was open- it really was a welcome place to rest and I actually got a couple of good naps in, which I needed since we'd just gotten to Greece a few days before. We'd be unlikely to use it for a longer stay, though.

• Liked — Convenient location, clean rooms, available in the off-season
  • Disliked — Uncomfortable beds
  • Stayed February 2006, travelled with family