I'm loath to write anything negative about this accommodation in case it puts people off staying in Horio, as the village is a great place to stay when visiting Symi in terms of being a lot more peaceful than Yialos & easy access to both Pedi & the harbour, plus the locals couldn't have been nicer & the cafes, bars & restaurants we visited in Horio were fantastic.
Whilst the village itself looks pretty from afar the area around the Anastasia is far from inviting; waste ground, litter & pretty much how I imagine Beruit to look!
The Anasatasia apartments themselves, I accept are a very cheap option but I still expected better & it proved to be a very uncomfortable week:
- The pillow was a cushion not a pillow & was incredibly uncomfortable, like a concrete slab (though so thin it was hard to distinguish if you had your head on that or the mattress where you could feel the springs poking through)
- Sheets with holes & cigarette burns
- The shower was fine in terms of heat & water pressure but why not attach it to the wall? Pain having to hold it to wash.
- The bathroom floor constantly had an inch of water on it, I felt like I had bloody trench foot by the end of the week, get some bath boards!
- The shelf in the bathroom was broken so everything fell off it & landed on the wet floor
- the only light in the bathroom was a shaving light over the mirror that took a good few minutes to light up meaning you had to leave it on all night or wait minutes for it to work before you could use the loo
- I get that you can't flush loo roll in Greece but that being the case I expect the bathroom bin to be emptied regularly (grose)
- No privacy, thank god for the air con as in order to have any privacy what so ever, we had to shut the windows & curtains as our neighbours (who were lovely) had to walk past our window to get to their apartments
- we couldn't flush the toilet at night because of the god awful racket it made & woke the neighbours
- And finally the fridge would let out a tremendous noise intermittently waking us up in the night only to have to try to get back to sleep on the concrete pillows!
Sorry to sound like a miserable moaner as I loved Symi but could not wait to leave the Anastasia!