“Oh dear... How to upset your guests!”
Review of Aleca's House

Aleca's House
Ranked #21 of 113 Speciality Lodging in Parga
England
“Oh dear... How to upset your guests!”
Reviewed 29 August 2012

I'd like to give these studios a better review. But I can't. I had such high hopes and my partner and I chose these because of the excellent reviews, unfortunately we were to be disappointed.
Firstly the good points...they are very clean and well looked after, inside and out. The views are nice, not outstanding (there was a big tree in front of our apartment which obstructed the view) They are slightly more luxurious than your average Greek apartment. They are well equipped.
Here's where it all went wrong...
After being shown around the apartment and being brought 2 cold beers by the owner Aleca on the first day, we were left smiling at our choice of apartments and feeling pleased at the hospitality, this continued to the next day until we were just about to go out for our evening meal.

We found a note pushed under our door telling us we had disturbed and ruined the evenings sleep of Aleca and her family plus the other 40 guests the previous evening with all of our noise and we should show more respect! This was all news to my partner and I as we were in bed and asleep early that evening due to a long days travel. My partner vaguely recalled some banging and shouting in the middle of the night but Thought he'd dreamt it!
I was extremely upset and angry that we had been accused (there were 40 other guests! Was it because we are young and British?) my partner phoned her straight away (the only way you can contact her at your own expense, as you never see her again after that first day!) and asked if we could discuss the matter. We explained it wasnt us and she half heartedly apologised. She said she was out to dinner but would come and see us the morning after. It completely ruined our evening. To be told to have 'more respect' was highly insulting as we have nothing BUT respect for our hosts wherever we go. We have always become quite friendly with our hosts in the past.

We waited in the next morning to speak to her, needless to say she didn't come down to see us (it wasn't far...her apartment was directly above us!) we came back later to find a plate of figs. I guess this was her apology. It wasn't good enough! To be accused without proof in the first place was bad enough but then to receive no face to face apology....!

As for everything else.... The main road is extremely noisy, or was when we were there at least, if you want to have your doors open. The walk to the town is exhausting when it's extremely hot! Might not be so bad when it's cooler, but we were fed up of it and we are quite young and fit! And the kid playing the piano....every day....monotonous! He also likes to run and jump and bounce balls and play various instruments.......! I suppose this would have been a lot easier to tolerate if it hadn't been for the letter accusing US of noise!

All in all... The 'luxury' isn't worth it! I wish we'd have stayed at our other choice, Milos studios, which were a lot nearer the town, not on a main road, had a little bar..... Ok so no views but maybe we would have been given slightly more respect as guests!

You might have a completely different experience, and I hope you do, but this goes to the bottom of the list of all my holidays I'm afraid! In my book, if you want happy customers you don't upset them on the second day of their holiday, or if you do, you at least apologise!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
9 Thank louminous

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Greek first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2012

We booked our stay at Aleca's through Monarch after reading the reviews here on Trip Advisor and we certainly weren't disappointed. With hindsight the only thing I regret not doing is booking directly with Aleca herself via her website (http://www.pargaterra.gr/apartments/). I only say this because given the current political and economic situation in Greece small family owned businesses such as these benefit significantly more in financial terms from direct bookings as more of the price of the booking goes into their pockets rather than the big tour companies. Something that may be worth remembering for the more conscientious travellers out there.

We stayed in room 103 on the ground floor. It was very spacious with a modern and well equipped kitchenette, a big wardrobe and dresser, a big and comfy double bed (by Greek standards), a small but decent bathroom and a sizeable terrace that backed onto the garden. As we're not the sort of people that like to eat out every night when we're away we found the cooking facilities to be more than adequate to prepare decent meals with and the little terrace outside the room was a pleasant place to sit and eat.

When we arrived Aleca was very welcoming and provided us with a couple of complimentary soft drinks. The room was also cleaned every day except Thursday when the cleaner has a day off. We were also given the option to use the air con at €5 per night and a safety deposit box €15 for the week but did not feel it necessary to use either. There is also a small car park to the rear of the studios with 4 spaces. If not there's ample parking on the side of the main road below the studios. We had no complaints about the standard of the room whatsoever and for the money we paid (£215 for 7 nights) it was certainly excellent value. As a young couple who don't look for the luxuries (pool, hotel standard room, wifi etc) when travelling abroad we would certainly recommend Aleca's to like minded people and those who are perhaps more accustomed to more "upmarket" accommodation.

The studios are in an ideal location in that they're not in the centre of town and subject to the noise of bars, people, restaurants etc. but they're only a short walk away down a small road to the side of the cemetery - 10 minutes to the sea front if you're taking a slow stroll. I really can't fathom why some reviewers have described the walk back as a "climb." Maybe it's because I live in a particularly hilly part of the world and am used to it, but if you consider yourself to be in good health and struggled with this walk I would be very concerned. That said, If you do have mobility problems the driveway from the main road up to the studios is rather steep (but short). In terms of noise in general, we barely heard a peep from Aleca's family all week. None of the piano that's been mentioned in other reviews. Similarly the main road below the studios is reasonably quiet and we never noticed noise from it.

When visiting Parga I would strongly recommend hiring a car as this is the perfect way to get around to nearby beaches and further afield. During our stay we visited Lichnos beach (to the east of Parga), Valtos beach (to the west) and Ai Sostis Beach (again to the west). All of these beaches were great, especially Ai Sostis although it is a bit of a mission to get to it down 5km of steep, rocky and narrow dirt road from Anthousa and no facilities on the beach. This is what we liked about it though. The Acheron Nekromanteion is also worth a visit for the €2 entrance fee and we combined this with a trip to Acheron Springs near the village Gliki where you can walk up the river and swim, a certain highlight of our trip. In addition to this we made the 2 and a half hour trip to Vikos Gorge in the Vikos-Aoos National Park. A short walk from the village of Monodendri there are utterly breathtaking views and this made it well worth the drive up there and we plan to go back hiking at some point in the future. If this journey seems a bit on the long side it can be broken easily with a stop off in Ioannina.

Room Tip: All the rooms are south facing. Higher floors will have views of the sea and Parga bay. No views fro...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Jamie_88
Birmingham
Reviewed 21 September 2011

We recently returned from our first holiday in Parga, having stayed at the Aleca Studios. I have to agree with other reviewers, that the studios are of a very good standard for Greece and are kept exceptionally clean. Aleca met us on arrival and was very welcoming and helpful. Further to a previous review, she no longer holds on to your passport, which was a relief! However, in our case, this may have been because she had to come back anyway, with the remote for the air conditioning unit. I personally would have liked to stay a little bit closer to Parga town, purely to avoid the climb back in the evening, although we only took a taxi on a couple of occasions. We attempted the path through the trees just once but after that took the path past the cemetery, which was far easier. We were allocated one of the ground floor studios, which I fully expected to be the case, as we had not expressed a preference. However, we overheard someone in the neighbouring studio express their disappointment to Aleca that they had requested a third floor apartment but had also been given one on the ground floor. I am sure this happens all the time as obviously it is a matter of supply and demand, and I feel this should be borne in mind if you desperately want a studio with a view of Parga. The terraces were very slightly bigger than the balconies above but the drips from the washing hung on the balconies above us proved to be rather annoying! We were extremely glad of the air conditioning, despite the cost of 50 euros a week, as the temperatures were exceptionally high for the time of year. Parga is an incredibly beautiful place but I couldn't help wishing that there had been fewer people there, as it was still extremely busy, even in September. Still, perhaps that's just me being selfish! I first saw Parga 32 years ago, on a stopover on a boat from Corfu and, to be fair, it hasn't really changed very much, but now the world has discovered it! I would recommend hiring a car for a few days (which we had not thought about doing, unfortunately) as the surrounding countryside looks so fascinating. We took the little train to Ali Pasha's castle, which was well worth doing, and also booked a trip on the boat to Corfu Town. However, the boat trip was cancelled, when all the boats and ferries were grounded by the authorities, (something to do with forged documentation).

So all in all, a very pleasant holiday.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank PatsyBirmingham
Notts
Reviewed 18 September 2011

Having just returned from our fourth stay at Aleca's we can report yet again to be very satisfied
with the accommodation.The Studios are very spacious and clean and well located being only
a short 10 minute stroll to the waterfront of Parga where there are a good choice of Bars and Tavernas,also Water Taxis to the lovely Beaches.Aleca is very warm and welcoming and if you have any problems she will always try and resolve them quickly.In the late afternoon for a short period you may here her eldest son Spiros practicing on the Piano (he is improving) which we think is quite fun. Although there is some traffic noise,the property stands above the road and has never been an issue for us.We will be returning next year.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank JonNotts
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2011

We booked this a week before leaving and chose it partly because of the lack of negative reviews on Trip Advisor.
The Studios are just above the main road into Parga and the traffic noise is easy to hear but not a problem because the traffic levels are so low. Being raised above the road we couldn't see it either. We had e-mailed to ask whether there would be any chance of an upper floor in order to get the good views over Parga, but never received a reply (Aleca said she would have moved us if a room had been available). From the ground floor you can glimpse the castle and have the grass and hedge in front of you but can't see much. Just before we left someone deposited a child's slide and a couple of other items there for some reason, but they were not used. Each patio has a small hedge in front of it so you can't walk onto the garden and there are screens to either side separating the neighbours.
The standard rooms are about the most spacious we've had. They are starting to show a little age but they are well maintained, well stocked with cuttlery and crockery if you want to eat in and everything worked. On arrival we had a brief visit from a lady who said she was Aleca and to her credit suggested that we didn't pay for the air conditioning as the ground floor apartments tended to be cooler. Only on one night would we have liked it so this was good of her. The only slight negative while there was that she was hard to get hold of. On arrival she took my passport saying she would bring it back, 2 days later I spotted her with the man who had mowed the garden and asked for it. She seemed more interested in the hedge and just said she would bring it. The following evening, as I needed it for a trip to Albania, I mentioned it to the travel agent who spent 24 hours leaving messages all over the place for her. She took it into their office in time for my trip and I picked it up but it caused some concern and inconvenience for me and several other people and 'Aleca' didn't pop by at least to say sorry. Ups and downs but perhaps a contact number for her in emergencies would be a good idea.
The walk to town if quick and easy unless you have mobility problems. Directly opposite on the main road is the start of a rough track that takes you straight into town in about 5-10 minutes, though it would take care in the dark and a good torch. If you go down it, it forks at the end and you need to go right as taking the left fork towards the paved section is private. Alternatively, when we went, if you walk down the main road towards town there is was a crude sign to the 'mini-golf' on the right that leads down a track apparently destined to become a narrow road. This leads past the cemetery and into town. It's only slighly longer than the track and though a torch is still a good idea in the dark, it's easier. Walking up via the main road took us about 15 minutes at a steady stroll. To find these coming back, when you get to the taxi rank by the bank walk straight ahead for the track or cemetery route, or turn right to stay on the main road, turning left when you get to the Ginis 'supermarket'.
There's no pool at Aleca's and we understoof we could use a neighbouring one but didn't bother, spending our time on the beach in preference or going on one of the locally available excursions. We did the Meteora monastery tour (very enjoyable and astounding scenery), the Necromantia (small site but good if you like history/archaeology)/Acheron River tour (wade/swim up the river if you can - the scenery is stunning. There is a 15 meter stretch that has to be swum, but you can still wade for about 1km before reaching it) and Albania (very good historical site at Butrint and an hour following a lovely lunch in Sarander - it's trying to become a tourist spot but 100m from the seafront and what gloss it has disappears - worth the long drive for the difference and it'd outside the EU of you want dury free).
Suggestions - try lunch at the Castle, it's not got much Greek atmosphere but the views are good. The Golfo Beach restaurant at the far end on the left as you get to the sea front has good Greek music nights 3 times a week and is reasonably priced. Some good ones along the front so pick and choose and have a look up behind the Castle overlooking Valtos if you want a good view while you eat. As the Sun goes down behind the hills here you can see Ali Pasha's Castle atop one of them.
One of the useful things at Aleca's would be an information point with some news of local attractions. We liked it, but sort of had the feeling of being on our own once we were in our apartment as there is no reception or obvious point of contact.
Rooms were well cleaned every day but Thursday. I'd emphasize the well because the lady who was doing it didn't skip on any of the small points. If you want to see the views mentioned aim for the highest floor you can get or the top studios.
Some reviewers mentioned Piano playing - we heard it in the afternoon on two occasions. It wasn't loud, it didn't last very long, it wasn't unpleasant and whoever is playing isn't knocking out a bunch of dicordant notes, he or she is playing the piano. I wouldn't let that put you off based on our experience and more than the walk to town described by some.
We enjoyed our time in Parga.

Room Tip: Aim for the highest floor you can get if you want views.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Geobar01
Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2011

Just returned from a lovely 2 weeks at Aleka's in Parga. After reading some of the previous reviews about the location of these apartments I was a bit worried, however I can honestly say I needn't have had any concerns at all. We were greeted by Aleka who was very welcoming she showed us round the apartment, which was spacious, spotless and very well equiped. The maid came in 6 out of 7 days sheets and towels changed regularly. The apartments are set just above the main road but the road noise just isn't a problem it's not exactly a busy road. As for the "hill" again we didn't find this a problem and if anything the location was perfect close enough to the centre but far enough away not to get disturbed and was particularly nice in the evenings catching the last of the days sunshine whilst sipping on a cold glass of wine. Parga is great it's not a huge resort but seems to have so much variety, the Harbour is alive at night, perfect for people watching whilst enjoying the Greek food and wine but explore because you can find some lovely taverna's down the narrow streets. There are also tavernas above Valtos beach which are some of the best we have eaten at in Greece, you may have to wait for you food but at least you know it's been cooked well, and after all you are in Greece relax, sit back and enjoy.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jue26
East Riding of Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2010

Booked through Monarch Holidays (Cosmos).
Plane like a cattle truck but when we arrived at Preveza Airport the journey faded away.
Great panoramic views on the coach transfers to Parga with a very good rep highlighting the history of the area.
Aleka Studios very clean and the views are second to none from the first floor balcony.
Good maid service and place kept spotless.
Greeted by the owner who made us feel welcome but disappointingly did not see her for the rest of the week. Would recommend air from June onwards as the temperatures really rise - we tried to but could not get hold of the owner.
The piano practice each morning gets a bit monotonous from below.
The worst part of the Aleka is the location at the top of a hill which after either a warm day or good meal with a few drinks is the last thing you want to climb back up.
We ended up using taxi most evenings at 4euros plus the expected tip and only one young driver will deliver you right to the door - none of the older ones attempt the last past of the slope!
All in all you get what you pay for and this was good value for the cost of the holiday.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple