“Best value for money restaurant & with Lake view”
Review of Ithaki - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Ithaki
Cuisines: Greek
Rion Patras
“Best value for money restaurant & with Lake view”
Reviewed 9 April 2011

From all the restaurants with a view of the lake, it's the best! Visiting Ioannina once a month for work, it' s been the best so far. Serving fresh and well cooked food and with very generous portions. Great salads and I suggest you sit on the other side of the road in order to have a good view of the Lake. If you 're planning to visit on a Sunday afternoon I'm afraid you have to make a reservation.

• Visited February 2011
1 Thank Andreas S

• Greek first
Ancona, Italy
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,700 helpful votes
“One of the best meals I've had anywhere in Greece”
Reviewed 9 August 2009

The restaurant is on the lake shore, Not difficult to find. Drive down to the boat station by the kastro, turn left, and follow the shore round for three or four hundred yards. The Ithaki is the second or third last restaurant on your right before the road peters out, Parking is easy. You can eat inside in the winter and there's an awning if you want to eat outside but in the shade in summer. I ate completely outside, on the shore, watching trout rising and admiring the view of Ali Pasha's mosque as it caught the last rays of the sun across the water.

The food was EXCELLENT. I had Bouyourdi of Smyrna (which is saganaki with peppers and tomatoes), then Vasiliki Chicken (chicken baked in an earthenware pot, with cream, cheese and potatoes), then Karythopitta (the famous Greek walnut cake) and Revani (a different sort of Greek cake, with semolina). Everything was absolutely delicious, and it wasn't very expensive either - about 3 euros for the saganaki, as I remember, and about 7 for the chicken.

The wine list looked very good indeed, but unfortunately by the time I got round to looking at it I'd already ordered a beer.

I was so happy at the end of the meal that I made a few notes of other things I could get, for future reference. Lamb Gioulbasi for example, and Politiki Chicken (i.e. chicken as in the Polis, the City, ie. Constantinople - the chef has connections with Asia Minor), Dakos (barley-rusk salad, like they make in Crete), Chicken shish kebab (as in Constantinople, again), Galaktoboureko (a sort of milk pie, I assume, but I bet it has a lot of spices in it), and Ekmak Kataifi (a famous Greek pudding with "angel's hair" pastry), all home-made. I also saw that I could have had my revani and walnut cake with ice-cream, which would have been an good idea if it had been lunch instead of supper.

I'll be back !