“Lovely location, perfect for anyone really!”
Review of Sands Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lefkada
Sands Hotel
Ranked #21 of 76 Hotels in Lefkada
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We have just returned from a week's stay at the Sands and it's a fine place for couples and families alike. The facilities are fine-basic but suitable for the odd dinner in! The ground floor apartments have own outside space and first floor, you share a balcony. The rooms are quite small-only downside really. It has a good-sized pool and nice bar. It was clean and airy but Air con does help! Would def book with Olympic again and the rep was brilliant-enhanced the quality of stay. Located opp the beach, you couldn't complain!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Louise J
There are newer reviews for Sands Hotel

Reviewed 22 August 2013

Top praise for the Olympic rep Phil Costis.. We stayed in Lefkada/ Nidri - Hotel Sands. Phil was such a polite, charming and excellent rep. He held a great welcome meeting. His knowledge of the Island was so good. He was friendly and had a good relationship with everyone, which made our holiday so good. In fact, we have praised him so much that our friends are going to the same resort and hotel in September. We certainly plan to go back next year. With reps like Phil Olympic Holidays are very lucky.
Hotel Sands is in a good location just on the edge of the main street. very good accommodation which are cleaned daily.
Most of the restaurants in the resort are excellent, especially Pinewood (just across the road), Apollon and Mama Mia's (both at the harbour front).

Jacqui & Martin

Room Tip: avoid room 101
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Martin S
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Hi back from yet one more excellent holiday at sands. This is about my 8th year and though I also go elsewhere, I always return to Nidri and Sands when I need a battery recharge.

Sands is the best chill out place i"ve ever found. not luxurious but comfortable,excellent food and drink. (bbq night 6 star) includes leartis and friends providing the greek dancing,shots and assorted pyrotecnics.

Im going back at the end of September, which is a beautiful time of year in Lefkas.

Hope to see you there.

beachboy

Room Tip: Try front facing,nice sea view,or at the rear, looking over the mountains
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank graftonLondon
Reviewed 21 August 2013

I have been to the Sands Hotel on several occasions and it is really good value for money. It is in an excellent position very close to the beach and restaurants. The rooms are very clean and the staff always there to help. Laertis the owner can't do enough for you. The BBQ on a Tuesday night is a must. The food is excellent and it is a great night for all ages. Don't miss Laertis dancing. For anyone travelling to Nidri and want a friendly and family run hotel then the Sands is for you. I have told all my friends about it and would recommend it to anyone. You will not be disappointed. Can't wait for my holiday to the Sands next year. Thanks again Laertis xx

Room Tip: All rooms have a great balcony size. I prefer the 3rd floor
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Janet P
Reviewed 16 August 2013

We have just returned from a very relaxing holiday at the Sands Hotel. The Sands offers standard accommodation that we have experienced in many other Greek destinations. The rooms are fairly basic and you aren't overwhelmed by the variety of kitchen equipment. Our balcony, although large and not over-looked, faced a brick wall of an adjoining hotel(room 205); ok, that's the negatives really. The owner, Laertis, is a fairly quiet, friendly chap and we always found him helpful. Yes, drinks aren't the cheapest, but he is out to make a living! I agree with some comments, that the bar area at times could be a little dead. We found the majority of people friendly without being overpowering. Phil, the Olympic rep, is an absolute star and he genuinely added to the enjoyment of our holiday with his advice and friendly approach.

Some people chose to use the pool area for the whole of their stay, and it is a comfortable and relaxing area - we found the beach opposite very relaxing, instead enjoying the beautiful views and watching the variety of water sports taking place.The Sailinn to the right offers free sun-beds if you buy a drink there. The bar girls there are lovely and very polite. Oh, I can also recommend a full massage!

Highlights of our holiday:

Hiring a boat for the day and exploring the beautiful island of Meganisi. ( 70E plus fuel)

Hiring a car and visiting the mountains inland - spectacular!

Christina cruise - beautiful boat, lovely lunch, superb scenery.

Places to eat we would recommend: Pinewood, Flisbos, Roots. Sands
do a great Club Sandwich.

We probably won't return to Sands as there is so much of Greece to enjoy and explore, but we would recommend it to anyone who wants a relaxing week or two.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank glawsteruk
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Before I start my review, I need to respond to some of the comments in the the review called 'hes only after your money'.......You are not MADE to pay for a safe or Air Con when you arrive, you are asked if you want Air Con. If you buy drinks and food on a regular basis throughout the day you will not be paying €4 each time you buy a drink, you'd run up a tab (and surely you'd ask for your change if you were due any). The owner didn't sit on his own very often on the evenings when we were there as there were always 3 to 6 Greek people who would pop in for a few drinks, as well as others who were staying at the hotel, which to me says a lot about what the locals think of the place. Finally, I'm glad you won't be returning, because that will mean there is no chance of you being there when we do return ! That feels a lot better :-)

This is the first time we have ever been to The Sands Hotel, in fact I'd never heard of Lefkada until we booked this holiday (which was less than 2 weeks before going), we travelled as a family - my wife and I, along with our 13 year old daughter and 11 year old son, both of whom are allowed to have coke/fizz, eat ice creams and generally enjoy themselves whilst on holiday (as long as they're not bothering/annoying any other holiday makers), my wife and I both enjoy a few beers in the evening and will happily stay up late and get up late (I've only said this so you get an idea of what we are like and how to judge this review).

Rooms:
Plenty of storage space for clothes, mosquito nets on balcony doors that pull down to the the floor, a tidy sized fridge is also in the room, along with a kettle, which in my opinion is all you need when on a self catering holiday (if you want to cook food, I'd suggest that's not going on holiday), a shower curtain long enough to ensure the bathroom floor doesn't get soaked - all cleaned immaculately by the owners mum and a younger helper on a daily basis (particularly handy with the toilet paper scenario that you get in Greece !). We had rooms 301 and 302 which were at the front of the hotel above the pool/bar area (I emailed the hotel before we arrived asking for 2 rooms next to each other and this was sorted prior to our arrival), we were never bothered by any noise from the bar area in the evenings. The sun rose on the front of the hotel in the morning, moving to back rooms in the late afternoon/evening.

Pool Area:
Plenty of Sun loungers and lots or parasol's to be had (not one day where they were all in use), there are also lots of tables/chairs in the shade under large parasols. My kids spent at least 4 hours every day in the pool and never complained about too much chlorine, the owner (Laertis) ensures the pool is cleaned every evening, and having met a guy who's been to the Sands a few times and was once a pool attendant said that Laertis really does look after the pool.

Food/Drink:
We arrived late on the 25th July and 2 days later there was a heatwave for 4 days....42/43 degrees, so we had lunch at the Sands every day - too hot to go wandering around finding somewhere to eat, the prices were very reasonable and the portion sizes were fantastic - you'd have to be a real FB to be hungry after eating lunch there, I never got up early enough to fancy a breakfast, but saw a few people tucking in and I have to say it looked awesome - a massive plate of food. A large beer was only €2,80 The BBQ night was great, Laertis said he would charge us half price for the kids, so €54 Fed us all, with more food than you could possibly eat, there were about 15 different starters to fill your plate, then you had the meat/veggie dish that was BBQ'd, a jacket potato and could help yourself to more of the starters, so being greedy pigs (but not fat ones), we all had 2 full plates of food and a few free shots, and then tried some Greek dancing ! It was a cracking night and really good fun and great value for money.

Nidri:
The Sands is situated near one end of Nidri - thankfully the quiet end, but within 5 minutes walk you start to find lots of restaurants and shops, and these carry on for about 20 minutes, there are plenty of choices of eateries, we ate out every evening - The Pinewood was very good, Mamma Mia's was OK (both bills were approx €60, but that included a litre of wine), we also ate at the Trata - a real Greek place (this bill was only €44), but the best value was to be had at the restaurant in the hills - Dimitris Tavern, a bargain €35 which also included a litre of wine and great views of the harbour and other small islands.

General:
Having been to Spain the last few years, this was our first family holiday to Greece, and thanks to The Sands Hotel and it's owner Laertis and his wife (who would come in for about 3 hours a day late afternoon to give him a fully deserved siesta - she then ran the bar and kitchen equally as well), this holiday was everything we hoped for and more, we had a fantastic time - we will definetly return. I asked my wife and kids for their thoughts before writing this review and if there were any bad points - the kids said no, but my wife thought it would have been nice if the wi-fi stretched to all the rooms, having thought about it, I'm not sure that would be a good thing.....our daughter wouldn't have got out of bed before 2pm if that had been the case ;-)

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank MaidenheadLloydy
Reviewed 14 August 2013

I have just returned back from Sands Hotel and had a wonderful stay. I would like to comment on the client's review posted 12th August as this is nothing like the Sands Hotel I know and says everything about the client's who stayed at this hotel in June. I have been to Sands Hotel many times and the client has a number of repeat guests that says it all. The owner offers you the air conditioning and safe and it is for you to decide if you want them. It is the insurance company who normally insist that you have a safe as this is the only way they will cover your personal possessions. I attended the barbecue the week I was there along with 30 other people. The food was excellent and the price was unbelievable fair. 18 euros for a wide range of starters, your main meal with a jacket potato and further choice of the starters offered at the start, followed by fruit and shots. Yes, the dancing is only the owner and representative along with client's who get up and dance. This is similar to some of the restaurants I attended without the food being so good. In terms of drinks I had a beer at the hotel and it was very cheap, cheaper that I found in some of the restaurants I went to during my stay.
I have always found the Sands Hotel to be a great hotel, so the owner did not give a euro back this was probably a mistake, does this not happen in the UK?
I have never read such a bitter review -good luck in your hunt for a small hotel in Greece I would rather stay with client's at Sands who look for all the positives things this hotel offers.

Room Tip: Book early as I found out that the representative allocates rooms based on booking order
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends