“WHAT AN ISLAND”
Review of Lefkada

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
z
39 helpful votes
“WHAT AN ISLAND”
Reviewed 1 August 2006

Ohhhaaoy!!!Lefkada is an exotic island!!!it has the very very best beaches i have ever seen in my life,And there are so many:porto katsiki,egremnoi(the best tin greece and surely in europe),kathisma etc etc.The colour of the water ,the sun, the sandy beach feel like you are in paradise
There is not a greek island or any other medditerannean spot where you can find such a beatiful beaches.
Speaking for the island well ok it is not corfu,rhodes or saint trope but it has a nice town and a lot of beatiful villages.The food is really really good(and surely better than other famous greek islands).But as i said you already the main reason where you MUST have a trip to this island is beacause of its beaches.At the moment this island is not as famous as other islands(which are near the town of greece) and i think is a good point .

25 Thank babzz
Elmwood Park IL.
17 helpful votes
“Stay away from the harbor”
Reviewed 6 October 2005

I must say I really enjoyed my stay in Lefkas, we stayed in nidri and we were very impressed with the views, although the harbor did not impress us at all with waiters trying to drag us into the restaurants and cars and motor scooters flying by, we found a nice taverna away from that mess along nidri beach called Toms it was a great location and the food and prices were very good. THe island itself is beautful but I must say that nidri does need alot of work if it wants to be a proper resort.

17 Thank Tommy S
A TripAdvisor Member
“Love Lefkas”
Reviewed 17 February 2005

I have been to Lefkas 5 times in the past 10 years, and I am returning in June to get married in Nidri. Myself and my family love it here and go in groups of all ages each time we visit. The people here couldnt be more friendly, they remember us from the first time we visited the island and as we have been a few times we are familiar to most of the locals. I agree that the beeches arnt great in Nidri, but the crystal clear waters and the breathtaking views make up for it. I cant think of a nicer place to sit and have meal and drink of an evening than on the beach at the Titanic restaurant, especially at sunset, with the islands opposite still in view. Other places to eat that I would recomend would be, Ionian, International, Santa Maura, although I dont think I have ever had a bad meal in any of the restaurants. If you fancy something different jump a taxi to the village in the mountain (apx 4 euros) and have a meal in the restaurant there, the first one you can eat and drink all night for about 5 euros each and then they give you a bottle of wine to take away, your rep will give you more details, fantastic views across the bay ! You will find nicer beaches in Vassiliki (bus ride) and Meganissi which you can go to very cheaply on the car ferry. There are plenty of boat trips to go on from the harbour, book them yourself and not through the tour rep, it will be much cheaper if you do. The boats take you to some amazing beaches on the island as well as running a trip to Kephalonia. I have never found any comparison to Blackpool, there is no chip shops, rock, flashing dummies, fairgrounds or anything else that compares it to blackpool, if this is what you are looking for go to Faliraki or Kavos. I recommend hiring a speedboat and travelling to the smaller islands yourself, it is amazing and cost around 25 euros for up to 6 people. If you go to the more english looking bars or the Sail in Night club you will pay more for your drinks, stick to the greek style bars and they are very cheap and very friendly. Hope you enjoy.

36 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
“Lovely Lefkas”
Reviewed 20 June 2004

Just returned from two weeks on Lefkas, as a change from our usual destination of Corfu. A bit disappointed on arrival at Nidri, as it was a lot busier than we had expected. However, after a good night's sleep, and the hire of a car (essential in our opinion to get the best out of the island) things looked a lot better.

There are some beautiful unspoilt bays to be found, and it is worthwhile going off the beaten track and visiting some of the old villages/tavernars which can be a delight. One in particular, Dimitris, at Paleokatrina, looks just like any other taverna until you go inside and are met with a view to die for. All Nidri bay, together with the nearby islands, harbour, Geni, are laid out in front of you. it is spectacular and must surely have had millions of photographs taken there.

Another place worth a visit is Poros - a small bay between Nidri and Vassiliki. Beautiful clear water, where you get numerous fish swimming around your feet (some of them love to be fed bread - save some from your lunch)

There are several tavernas to choose from for a meal or just a drink.

Kastri is another beautiful bay, a bit further along the coast. Only one taverna, and very few sunbeds. Ideal to laze the day away on a sunbed.

Try to visit Vafkeri and have a meal at the only Taverna - up in the mountains on way to Karya. Excellend home cooked food, home made wine and 'cheap as chips'!!

All in all I would recommend Lefkas to anyone - although the lively Nidri is not for me unless I have a car to explore. The harbour area is awash with tavernas, and most of them have people outside trying to lure you in. Personally I avoid these on principle. One Taerna well worth a mention on the harbour is The Old Flame. Best meal we ever had there.

One advantage with Nidri is that it is very flat, so easy to get around for the not so young among us!

31 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Epsom, Surrey, UK
43 helpful votes
“We Love Nidri & Sivota”
Reviewed 16 June 2004

I quite agree with the review praising Nidri. It truly is a wonderful place, with the most lovely & charming people. It has something for everyone & although we found it busier on our 2nd visit, it still appealed very much. The harbour side is a fantastic place to meet at night, with a great abundance of Tavernas & Restaurants to suit every taste. Where else could you take a boat trip on a vessel, replicating an ancient Greek fighting ship (the Odyssia)?

The view across the bay to nearby Skorpios, Meganissi & neighbouring islets is superb. We went with friends the second time & they fell in love with Lefkas too. A must is to visit the waterfalls behind Nidri too. Lefkas is a great base to visit the mainland also - we took a hire car over to Parga; approximately 2 hours drive away - superb! Granted, Lefkas is not the best island for beaches, but there are nice beaches at Porto Katsiki & Vassiliki also, which is safe for children at the far end, with gently shelving, shallow water.

Sivota is truly a wonderful inlet to visit. If ever a chance came to live in Greece, this would be high on my list. Peace & tranquility is the true embodiment of this sheltered bay. Dream on.

People we met on Lefkas the first time around, remembered us 3 years later & welcomed us back like we were Family. Recommended for eating, is the Old Flame, International Restaurant (opposite where the ferry docks). Lovely people & mouth watering food, specialising in Indian cuisine also. We can't wait to return.

43 Thank Knobbenheader

Been to Lefkada? Share your experiences!