“DESERVES TO BE SEEN...”

Helmi's Natural History Museum
Ranked #77 of 128 things to do in Zakynthos
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: The Museum's exhibitions offer in a pleasant way to the visitor the opportunity:to become familiar with the natural heritage of Zakynthos to be informed about suggested delightful routes he can take on the island to learn about the different life forms of the five continents.
Reviewed 30 April 2014

The nature inside and outside at its upmost!!!
40 years of private collection depicted in the eyes of each visitor.
A man who made his interest an wonderful place where 6000 species are accomodated and revealed in front of our eyes.
For his effort and only you have to pay a visit....
....

1  Thank christina s

Reviewed 1 December 2013

As we entered, a faint whiff of salt and fish hit my nose .... the lights were off and the place was quiet. A man smiled, so genuine we couldn't leave. He took our money and pointed us in the direction of one room and then motioned for us to then go upstairs and then downstairs. His English was minimal, it didn't matter.

We entered the first room and I was amazed at the information that was readily available, and also the emotion that was behind the words. The second and third rooms showed us a huge collection of stuffed animals, preserved fish, skeletons, shells, a massive fossil and pinned butterflies/moths with some history and ecological information to boot!

It became apparent this was a collection of someone who loved nature, and had collected a wealth of things, that all they could do was share it with us. I felt very humbled that I was able to share the passion of such a collector. My husband and I joked that this was obviously an extension to someone's home, and the wife had probably booted the husbands "collection" out of the family home.

At the end, the man turned the lights off after us, and stood grinning at the lift. With a few gestures and short sentences, we found out that one man had amassed this collection - called Helmi (if only we knew ...) and that this smile filled man, was in fact Helmi! How amazed I was.

It doesn't take long to get there, to go round the museum, and some people may feel that it isn't worth the fee, but for me - seeing that man and his pride in his collection and the knowledge of the island and environmentalism he shows, it was worth every cent to me.

7  Thank sephreniazalasta
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I had been looking forward to our visit and completely support the goals of the museum. However you need to be aware that there is alot of stuffed exhibits which are rather manky and not the best example of taxidermy. Probably not the best conditions for them and dare I say the displays from around the world are random ! However the museum is very interesting and a great view from the roof terrace.

4  Thank Renee194
Reviewed 3 July 2013 via mobile

We saw this place on our complimentary island map and thought we'd give it a try.

So glad we did as it's a real find. Nice, well thought out and presented exhibits that give a detailed overview of the island's flora and fauna.

Well worth the effort and nice to see the programs to get kids interested.

Thanks for a lovely afternoon.

1  Thank Martin B
Reviewed 23 July 2012

I 've been there in '11 with wife and kids. The place displays the natural life on the island. Found out many things I had no idea of. My older kid (3) is still making stories about that swordfish :-)