“Excellent hotel in excellent location”
Review of The Excelsior

Ranked #2 of 58 Hotels in Thessaloniki
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Ww have stayed in the hotel for 3 nights.
Hotel is spacious .
Rooms are clean and practical.
The beds were excellent and sleep quality was very good.
Children enjoyed the breakfast and enjoyed the rooms.
Pros:
Friendly and helpful staff
Clean rooms
New
Location Location Location
Sleep quality and large beds
Breakfast
Cons:
Pricey

This is a family managed hotel and staff helped us a lot with administration and every problem we had.
Would recommend it to all my friends and will consider to come again!!!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Konstantinos B, Υπεύθυνος Ρεσεψιόν at The Excelsior, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback. It is really appreciated in order to keep our services on a high level.
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at The Excelsior and its location too.

We are looking forward to welcoming you and your friends soon.

Best regards,

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Stayed for 6 days at the The Excelsior and was delighted with the choice we made.

The location is perfect, bang in the centre of most of the sights, shops, cafes, bars and restaurants, no need for a car if you are just staying in the city.

Building is beautiful, room was spacious for a European boutique hotel and was spotlessly clean. The wine and snacks on arrival was a nice touch, just a shame the wine was not replenished each night! For those averse to walking up stairs, the lift is indeed tiny.

I have stayed in bigger and more luxurious 5 star hotels, but in my opinion what really makes this hotel 5 star is the staff, they are some of the best I have ever come across, they were so friendly and helpful throughout our stay, nothing was too much trouble for them. I did not rent a car in advance, but we wanted to to a few trips outside the city and the delightful Chrysa on the front desk secured a car for me at a fraction of the cost if I had booked in advance from home. The parking was €17 per 24 hrs and the there was no need to find the garage as you can park up outside the hotel and the staff will drive the car to the garage and deliver back when you want it. I had a small issue with with the hire car one day, but the staff members resolved it quickly for us.

The breakfast in on the 5th floor was very nice, staff were attentive, omelettes were very good, only improvement would be the coffee, which was just OK.

Thessaloniki is a wonderful vibrant city, I wish I had more time there to enjoy the sights, food and bars! I would recommend day trips to Vergina and Halkidiki, and do not be afraid to rent a car, it may look manic, but I found it quite easy to navigate around the city despite the traffic (although I am used to this in London!), just watch out for potholes on some of the motorways outside, follow the locals lead.

In conclusion, this is the only choice for Thessaloniki if you are after a beautiful boutique hotel with 5 star staff.

Tip: Try to at least speak some Greek, it will be met with great appreciation!

Room Tip: Internal courtyard facing rooms if you want no noise.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

First of all we appreciate the time you spent on sharing your review with us. We are happy to read such wonderful words from such an experienced traveler.

Secondly, your comments on our staff are truly appreciated and we are all very glad that you enjoyed our hospitality and the city of Thessaloniki.
The Excelsior is a neoclassical building dating back to 1924 and is located in the city centre with many choices just around the corner!

The distinctly decorated Roof Garden of The Excelsior is a nice opportunity to start your day with all the fresh and well selected products.

It'll be our pleasure to welcome you again in the near future.

Best regards,

Reviewed 25 July 2014

The Hotel was lovely; a charming old corner building completely renovated with a modern style that complements the space. The rooms was large and very comfortable; excellent bed and pillows. The staff was incredibly pleasant and helpful, we loved the chocolates that were delivered to us every evening and the lovely bottle of wine that was waiting for us when we arrived. Breakfast on the rooftop garden was excellent. The location of the hotel could not have been better.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 14 and it was quite roomy with lovely painted details on the ceiling.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing The Excelsior during your stay in Thessaloniki.
You have our sincere appreciation for sharing your thoughts and comments with us.
We are very glad we were able to meet your needs and expectations.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back soonly

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We chose this hotel because it was highly rated here on Tripadvisor and it turned out to be a good choice! The location was fantastic, no matter where you'd like to go, e.g. to the waterfront, or to the restaurants area in the evenings or for shopping. The staff was friendly and helpful, very pleasant. What we liked most was the breakfast - you could order the hot dishes and they were freshly made, nicely served and delicious!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Konstantinos B, Υπεύθυνος Ρεσεψιόν at The Excelsior, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing The Excelsior during your last stay in Thessaloniki.
Your positive words are truly appreciated and it makes us really happy that we met your expectations.
You are more than welcome to offer you our hospitality soon.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 17 July 2014

Nice quaint clean and comfy hotel, nothing to complain about that! Booked online via booking.com for two rooms consisting of two persons in each for fixed price, confirmation email received only indicated one person per room. Called hotel and explained error immediately as booking was for following day and was assured there would be no problem. Once at hotel however different story, we were charged an extra 20 euro per room for the extra person - this didn't sit well with us as we were a family of four and booked in good faith for fixed price. Hotel staff although apologetic would not waive the extra 40 euro and put blame on booking.com - Can't understand nor justify the extra cost of two sleeping in a bed compared to just one.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Kyp-013
Reviewed 16 July 2014

This is by far the best hotel I have stayed at in Greece. It blends the best of classic elegance with clean and modern decor and features. The staff is friendly and helpful and so far it has been the little things that have taken a good hotel and put it at the top of my list for return visits. I wish he owning family would replicate this formula in all the places in Greece that my work takes me to!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Ben_Aroun

Dear BenAroun,

Thank you for your positive feedback and your splendid comments about The Excelsior and the staff.
Be certain that we pay attention in every detail since our primary goal is the coziness of our guests.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Yours faithfully,

Reviewed 16 July 2014

My husband and I enjoyed a lovely one night stay here on the top floor (there are only 4 with dining on the 5th) in room 49 - we really appreciated the small, intimate feel of this lovely boutique hotel that combines old world charm with modern appointments. The front desk staff were welcoming, courteous, professional, and helpful. Although I usually prefer to do things myself, we soon appreciated that they took our bags up to our room while we were checking in, as we discovered that the elevator is itty bitty, and I'm a petite person saying this so if you're claustrophobic, the stairs might be your best bet. Complimentary wine and snacks were waiting in our room upon arrival. Love the modern, marble and glass bathroom with lovely toiletries and towel warmers. Although there's not much of a view to look at, we had a cute little balcony. The bed and linens were comfortable. I thought the mostly bare, except for over the bed, white walls could use a little something (color, art, or a mirror?). I always think it's fun when a hotel has the electronic, high-tech wall panels to indicate whether you are in do not disturb mode, etc., as this hotel does. We met up with friends staying at the nearby Bristol Hotel and had a fantastic, lively, and delicious dinner at Rouga in a festive outdoor corridor nearby. I had read reviews where people complained about the noise from chairs sliding around in the dining area on the 5th floor. We didn't sleep in and I didn't notice it until I remembered to pay attention for it, at which point I did hear it faintly. The breakfast, which was included with our rate, was wonderful with a lovely buffet spread that included fruit, eggs, breakfast meats, olives, parfaits and yogurts, smoked salmon and capers, pastries, cereals, etc., and it also included made-to-order items like the pancakes drizzled with nuts and honey that my husband ordered. Whether in the small, first-floor lobby that feels like the parlor of someone's house or dining on the top floor, the service here is top notch. I needed a US to EU converter and found an inexpensive yet rugged one in the little electronics and camera shop next-door where I also befriended the blind dog that inhabits the premises. The convenience of the location is perfect - you're steps from the main plaza overlooking the waterfront, and surrounded by shops, restaurants, and sites galore. I took a morning jog, along the waterfront pedestrian and cycling path just a block or two away, to the iconic White Tower which is within easy walking distance. Upon checking out, we left our bags at the hotel, explored several sites by foot including the amazing, panoramic views from ano poli (upper town with castle walls), returned to the hotel, freshened up in the well-appointed and impressive bathrooms just off the lounge on the second floor, and then caught the public bus just a block away to the Thessaloniki airport. I would return here in a heartbeat - loved the city and this hotel!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Susan S

Dear Susan S.,

Thank you very much for taking the time on sharing with us your wonderful review following your stay at The Excelsior.
The rooms and all the common areas of the hotel are carefully designed in order to ensure a pleasant stay for all our guests.
We are also delighted to know that you liked the city of Thessaloniki due to the fact that The Excelsior is located right in the heart of the city with so many choices just a step away.
It will be our pleasure to welcome you back soon.

Kind regards,