We stayed in April 2014 for 5 days and had booked a Superior Sixth Floor room with terrace and a sea view. The balcony was fantastic and the view was over the main square and out to sea. So far so good! The location is unbeatable! Thats where it ends ....
This is a supposed 5 star property in a five star location masquerading as a lazy 3 star effort.
Firstly, when we arrived the 'spa' which houses the indoor pool, sauna, steam room, jacuzzi and gym were closed for the next two days for holidays. When it re-opened on day three it transpired that it was a tiny place, the pool is almost of the plunge pool variety and there are, in total, two loungers in the entire place. The gym area is almost comical. Upon arrival in late morning the sauna and steam room were cold as was the pool. This is not a 'spa' by expected standards. The outdoor pool was empty presumably as it was too early in the season. The spa closes at 6pm so no after sight-seeking soak here.
Breakfast is served in a nice roof terrace and enclosed room with great views over the Gulf. Unfortunately breakfast is again a tired and lazy affair of over cooked, medium quality staples, left to congeal in uncovered Bain Maries. There is no å la carte egg menu or any real variety. The staff were relatively indifferent and service was patchy.
We also discovered on arrival that the main lobby bar (The Excelsior English Bar and Lounge) was permanently closed for the Summer season and only opens in the winter. This is a joke given that a considerable amount of the hotel advertising photos are devoted to depicting this lounge. This means that the only place to sit/relax/eat/drink/meet friends is the said rooftop breakfast room/terrace/restaurant ......
The worst of all, however, is that the expensive sixth floor room was directly below the rooftop terrace which uses metal legged tables and chairs. From 0600 until 0100 every time a chair is moved there is a thunderous scraping of metal on stone emanating from the ceiling. This is not welcome at 0600 or indeed when you are in bed for the night!
Overall this place needs a really good shake-up. The location alone deserves a much better effort.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Majestic: this word is not an overstatement when it comes to the Electra Palace hotel in Thessaloniki. Built in one of the most impressive city squares of Greece, Aristotelous Sq., facing the endless sea of the Thermaikos Gulf, its architecture at once imposing and noble, it is one of the city's architectural gems. Inside the hotel's byzantine-inspired exterior, hides a neoclassical heart: wood paneling, marble inlay and wooden floors, plush carpets, cabriole and chesterfield sofas, ornate furniture, luxurious details, generous amenities and, of course, breathtaking views: on a clear day one can easily see as far as mount Olympus across the gulf. Beneath the Electra Palace Thessaloniki's windows and balconies, lies the lively center of a vibrant city: Aristotelous Square. In between city square and mighty mountain, the expansive horizon, the endless blue of the sea. Right in the heart of city, the Electra Palace Thessaloniki is ideally located whether you are in town for business or pleasure: within walking distance from the shopping district, the Thessaloniki International Exhibition Center, most major monuments, museums and sites, the Ladadika area and right across from Olympion cinema that hosts the Thessaloniki International Film Festival, it is the place to stay when meeting with business partners, attending trade shows, enjoying the city's rich cultural scene or exploring its nightlife. Featuring comfortable, well equipped rooms, indoor and outdoor pools, a gym and spa, a wonderful restaurant on the top floor, and the renowned Electra Hotels and Resorts service, it is also the par excellence place to unwind and relax, enjoying unparalleled views and the hospitality you deserve. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, TravelUp, Agoda, Odigeo and LoveHolidays so you can book your Electra Palace Thessaloniki reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Golden Tulip Thessaloniki
- Thessaloniki Golden Tulip