“Could have been better.”
Review of Ataturk Museum

Ataturk Museum
Ranked #10 of 154 things to do in Thessaloniki
Reviewed 5 February 2014

We visited the house on our school field trip. It was great to see the birth place of Ataturk and where he grew up however the house felt barren. I wish they had added more pictures and original artifacts without completely rebuilding the house.

1  Thank Sibel O

Reviewed 22 October 2013

I can't give less, just i can't. Because, this place is so important for us. But, i should be honest. The restoration took the house's spirit and i don't think that, it's done with good thoughts. They took the spirit, they wanted to do it. Now, you will see nothing in the home, just a well-known history lesson, a "wax Atatürk" and Turkish Airlines' and the cartoon advertisement's upstairs. I hope, one day this house will be as good as it deserves, one day it will be!

2  Thank Midgard87
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I owed a visit not only to Ataturk's house, but also to Thessaloniki (Selanik in Turkish, a nice, relaxing city), and the whole region, Western Thrace. It was great for me to be in the place where little Mustafa was born and grew up to be Mustafa Kemal.
Ataturk's house takes much criticism with its new design. On my account, I like it. After visiting other places having thousands of things belonging to Atatürk, the idea of giving information about himself, family, where he was born, what he did etc., is just appropriate to me. After all, he lived here for early few years of his life. What matters for me is just being there.
It is open to everyone from 10 to 17 everyday, even in holidays. Entry is from backside door. It is close to other main attractions, it worths a visit. No fee.

3  Thank Oktay E
Reviewed 2 September 2013

If you are a Turk, it is very likely that you love & admire Ataturk, the founder of Republic of Turkey. All students learn about Ataturk's home in Thessaloniki. I was ashamed to see how this museum is organized. It's like a modern villa put on sale by a real estate company. There is nothing historical inside. I see no reason for people to go and see this newly built house...

1  Thank TErdengi
Reviewed 30 May 2013

Tucked away in a residential area in Thessaloniki, this house is the house our republic's founder was born and spent most of his childhood. Yes, it is true that the complex also houses the consulate and you need to ring a bell and ask for permission to visit, but the history inside and the displays are truly emotional - you get an insight to the everyday life of a true hero and leader. And you can not experience this everyday, so if you are ever in Thessaloniki, do visit!

2  Thank OzgurRosti