“Simple yet decent”

Ranked #14 of 15 Hotels in Olympia
Ionian islands
“Simple yet decent”
Reviewed 11 March 2010

This hotel may not please the more demanding, high--end tourists, but for those travelling low budget, it's a fair deal. The rooms are spacious, clean and quiet. The location is amazing.
The personnel was very helpful, too. Overall, good value for money!

• Stayed August 2007, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 15 June 2009

We stayed one night in this 2* hotel as arranged by a tour operator. Here are some of our impressions:
location: very good, right on main street, next to shops and restaurants. the street is closed to trafic in the evening.
room: small, old furniture but clean.
Elevator: very small, european stlyle, scary if you are unfamiliar with this type of installation as there is only 3 cabin walls, the fourth wall is the fixed building shaft!
meals: diner is à la carte and the food is OK. Breakfast is served buffet style but the choice is limited, in line with a 2* hotel.
service: very friendly, family run approach. Wi-fi is free. The manager even invites us into her office in case signal from the router is too weak! but the signal is strong enough in the lobby.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2008

If you're in Olympia for a night or two and need somewhere cheap to stay, this is it. If you are looking for some comfort, though, then it's not. While we met helpful and friendly staff, the hotel is RIGHT NEXT TO the church, the bells of which ring VERY LOUDLY in the early morning. The rooms are not particularly well maintained or especially clean (hairs in the bed, and we had a hair dryer in the bathrooom which had a broken motor, so it heated up instantly but without a fan seemed liable to burst into flames immediately...). The breakfast and evening meal were also rather disappointing. And sharing the hotel with us were lots of teenagers having waterfights in their underwear in the corridor... which might appeal to some, I suppose!

• Liked — Staff were friendly
  • Disliked — Rooms were not comfortable.
  • Stayed July 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank kfbglobal

Travellers are raving about these Olympia hotels

Sydney
Reviewed 7 November 2007

We have the same story as the others.

We were not given the option of tourist or first class on the tour, but we did stipulate 3 star hotels, and 3 stars 'The Ilis Hotel' is not.

Their website states the hotel has been renovated, however this obviously only refers to the lobby as the rooms look and feel 30 - 40 years old. Even the sheets feel 40 years old plus they don't fit the beds they are supposed to cover.

So if you don't mind 2 star accommodation with the 3 star features (AC, in room safe etc) but with course, ill fitting sheets on the miniature beds, thread bare towels, a miniature shower, and a gritty feel to most of the surfaces in the room, this place is for you. If you prefer 3 stars with a comfortable, quiet nights sleep, don't stay here.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — The feel of the sheets on the minature bed
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank the2ofusSydney
boston
Reviewed 23 September 2006

Took a 4-day Classical Greece Tour. Before deciding on tourist class or first-class I checked with tour company to find out what hotels they used a chain-type hotel; I was never told they used this hotel. I checked the web site and then chose to go with tourist class package. Thus I was surpised that some of us got dropped off at the Ilis Hotel--not blaming the hotel, but just be forwarned if you are on a tour.

Hotel room was small and depressing, but clean. The main problem is that it was extremely noisy even with air conditioner on. There was a large group of students staying here who partied most of the night. They went back and forth between rooms banging on and slamming doors for several hours. Continued the partying onto the patio. I'm not a smoker and the cigarrete smell from others was powerful. Heard every sound and got no sleep. Suffering from jet lag, I had no tolerance for the noise level.

Breakfast and dinner, included in the package, were okay, but salty. Never knew what I was eating for dinner, but I cleaned my plate.

Location was good. Funny thing is when I spoke with others on the tour the next day, they were wishing they had stayed in town as they were too far out to walk in.

After this stay, I upgraded my package. It was well worth the slight increase in price.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — Noise level from other guests
  • Tips/Secrets — Bring ear plugs if you stay here
  • Stayed September 2006
    • Check-in / front desk
7 Thank jackie_boston
New York
Reviewed 1 June 2006

First the caveat : We stayed at this hotel because it was assigned to us by the tour operator as part of the 'tourist class' package. That's a mistake I'll never make again.

The Hotel Ilis is located right on the main street in Olympia, Greece, and the archaeological site is within easy walking distance. That's about it for the positives.

The hotel restaurant looked to be about closing around 8:00-8:30. The staff were surly and it was obvious they couldn't wait to go home. The rooms were small but that doesn't bother me. What bothered me was that the beds were very hard and the sheets coarse. I decided not to use them.

Suffering from jet lag (and discomfort frankly) I got up around 4:00 and decided to take a walk around town. We got down to the lobby, all was dark (no 24 hour desk), and the door to exit the hotel was locked. I found the key and let myself out, but the door locks from the inside when you close it so I knew I'd have to wait until someone showed up in the lobby to let us back in when we got back. Breakfast was available by 7:00, and was decent. But I would be lying if I said I wasn't itching to leave as soon as I could.

Other people on our tour took the first-class package, and stayed at the hotel Best Western Europa. They say they liked it, but you should know that its not a reasonable walking distance to the town.

• Stayed October 2005
10 Thank Dolfo
NorthEast
Reviewed 1 May 2006

I'd rate this slightly below average. The hotel is off the main street in Olympia which is nice. The hotel itself feels pretty old and the rooms are slightly better than college dorms. The only reason we stayed here was because the tour group assigned it to us. The dinner was pretty lousy and so was breakfast. This would not be my first choice. Some of our group stayed at a Best Western which looked nice but was a bit of a walk from town. The Best Western gets rated pretty well on TripAdvisor.

• Stayed April 2006