“great hotel - great service”
Review of Hotel Kronio

Hotel Kronio
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Olympia
Reviewed 13 July 2014

This hotel has it all. Great service, great location, great breakfast! We only stayed one night at this hotel. Which was a real shame. Olympia was a great place to explore and the hotel really did meet all of our needs. The room was a good size, the bathroom was bigger than other hotels we had stayed at in Greece. My husband is 6 foot 2 and found the bathrooms a real problem but not at this hotel. The room was quiet and we had a balcony so I sat out there late in the evening and listened to local music and children playing.....very nice!!!! Oh, and free Wifi!!!!

Room Tip: I think all the rooms at this hotel would be quite good. There really isn't any noise to worry a...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 10 July 2014

I enjoyed a two night stay at this hotel recently. The hotel has been updated recently and the rooms were a reasonable size. The shower had plenty of hot water. My room had a balcony, I think many do. The air-conditioning was excellent (as summers in Olympia are very hot this is important). I had a car and there was on site parking, nicely shaded. I met the owner and his mother who were both tremendously nice and helpful. The mother does not speak much English, but she was wonderfully kind checking me in and making my breakfast, which consisted of typical Greek items, though nothing too special. When I checked out, the owner took the time to call other locations I was planning to see that day to make sure they were open. Very nice gesture and much appreciated. The price was very reasonable and I would highly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 June 2014

This is a terrific hotel! The staff was ideal. My luggage was lost so I came with nothing. My bus was late getting in the first night, so I couldn't go out and buy shampoo. The front desk man lent me some so I could get the day of flying into Greece and travelling to Olympia out of my hair. The location perfectly located close to the tourist sites. It took about 10 leisurely minutes to walk through a paved area of flowers to the museum, botanical gardens, and the ruins. The tourist shops were located less then a block away from the hotel, so the streets were lit up and safe to walk on. There were restaurants and shops opened late all along the way from the hotel. The bus stop was just behind the hotel, so moving luggage was very easy. The breakfast was very good. The specialty was a delicious apple pie. The pie and some good coffee were an unexpected treat. As I tried to hunt down my luggage, the front desk continued to help and call to see where the luggage was and where the airport could ship it to since I didn't spend more then 2 nights in any location. The staff went above and beyond to help me, and I will always remember their kindness and how wonderful they made my first few days in Greece.

Room Tip: I had an amazing room with a balcony and got to overlook the tourist street on the left, as well as...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Marisa2619
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Clean comfortable room, plenty of hot water. Helpful concierge with tourist maps, opening times, museums. Excellent position for the Olympia site and the town's main street.
Breakfast needs a lift if you want to satisfy Aussies!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank sueIluka
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Recently upgraded rooms, breakfast was included and very good. This was in a great location, walking distance to town, could walk to the ruins, however it would've been a little bit of a hike. Worth the stay. The bathroom was so large and the room had a nice little balcony on it.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 June 2014

After hostelling in Istanbul and Athens, I was in need of a vacation day somewhere between the big city and the port of Patras. Olympia it was. Based on reviews here and a recommendation from Rick Steves' guidebook, I reserved a room at Hotel Kronio for two nights. When I arrived after an almost 6 hour bus ride, I was elated by the hotel. Lobby nice and cool, big breakfast room with some couches and an elevator! Up to the second floor, I had a room (235) with two singles put together, a full bath, wardrobe, TV and fridge. The balcony looked out onto the small lane rather than the main street where the tour buses roll in. To the right you could see the tree-lined hill above Olympia.

Location is perfect: 700 meters to the sights and less than 50 meters to the train/bus station.

Service was wonderful. The mother checked me in with little hubub: room key, map, wifi password. The owner/son was so accomodating: questions about bus schedules, where to eat (Aegean is best for the main town) and other chores (banks, pharmacies).

Breakfast was better than average: HB eggs, cakes, bread, cheese, yogurt, cereals, coffee and juice. Just what you need at an OK 6 euro.

Saw the sights and museums the first afternoon, then
had a full day myself partly in my quiet room and partly enjoying the tavernas as tourists flocked in and out of town. I am heading out now to the port and was very happy with my stay, would definitely come back and know that this is an oasis from the big city.

Room Tip: I believe all rooms have a balcony but would choose one not facing the main street.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Larajdeshayes
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Kostos Panagiotis is the amazing host-owner of Hotel Kronio and staying there was fantastic. Given the cost-effective parameters of this trip, Kronio far exceeded my expectations. Service service service way above the excellent range. At a 5 star hotel, I would expect great service, and at Kronio I got 5 star service for a most reasonable price.

Kostos used his own time to help us get a reservation on an intercity bus for our tirip back to Athens since he asked us about our journey. He immediately recognized we did not realize the buses would be maxxed out the Sunday after Easter. He explained this, and as we settled in our room, he set about calling and reserving our return bus reservations. Actually, we got the last two seats thanks to him! What a hotel host - thinking ahead, caring for us, acting on our behalf when we agreed to have him help us.

Our room was perfectly fine, newly refreshed with a good bathroom and lots of room for extras. We had a lovely view of the Byzantine church across from the hotel and even saw a wedding.
Kostos' mother was also on staff and I wish I could take her home with me. She was so helpful at breakfast and in so many little ways. Kronio also had a rock solid working computer for keeping in touch with family.

Olympia is a beautiful place to stay. We painted at the Olympic site which is magnificent, and the guards were all so friendly. The food in Greece overall is so fresh so buy some fresh fruit or veggies or olives to snack on. Greeks make outstanding coffee too, Hotel Kronio's as well as at cafes. Hotel Kronio makes some of the breakfast items homemade, amazing! Stay there if you can, it is a splendid deal.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business