Amalia Hotel Olympia
Very Good 4/5
Hotel Europa(Olympia)
Olympion Asty(Olympia)
Great 4.5/5
All reviewsclassical greecedinner buffetbig poolthe hotel staffstayed here for one nightancient olympiafresh fruitshops and restaurantsspacious roomgood sizevisiongardensitemuseum
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 June 2012

I stayed at the Amalia Hotel Olympia as part of a tour. It was for only one night, thank goodness. The room was very spacious, but is terribly outdated. The hotel was supposed to go under a refurbishment late last year, but I guess due to the situation in Greece at the moment, it has been put on hold. The beds are so hard, it was difficult to sleep on them. And the bathrooms have to be seen to be believed - very retro. The hotel is about 5-10 minutes drive out of town, so we caught a taxi (4 euro) to have lunch there and do some shopping. The staff were very kind and helpful.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank kadda79
Reviewed 5 June 2012

This hotel, a distance from town, is acceptable for an over night stay during a recent tour of Greece. The staff was friendly and internet was free at the lobby where 2 computers were also available for use at no charge. Rooms were spacious, reasonably clean but the furnishings old. Plentiful of local dishes could be found at the buffet dinner and breakfast, which were served at specific times. The staff would refill the buffet if the food ran low. It did not seem like menu order was available.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank YVRWu
Reviewed 2 June 2012

We stayed at this hotel for one night as part of a tour.
The hotel is lovely downstairs with a nice bar and areas to sit outside. The hotel is out of town so not possible to walk. Not sure how much a taxi would cost.
The room was ok- larger than the one we had in the sister hotel in Athens. Had a nice view over the garden from our room. Downsides were the beds which were hard as a rock, the grotty show curtain and no fridge. There was no information in our room about the hotel so not sure if room service etc is available.
Meal was ok but cold and nothing exciting on the menu.
I doubt you will have any choice about staying here if you are going as part of a tour but I am sure there are a lot better hotels to stay in Olympia if you had a choice.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank delphi1
Reviewed 5 May 2012

We were booked at the Amalia chain through a Globus tour. This location is somewhat isolated there are no nearby shops. Further, the hotel itself lacks an adequate shop for sundries,etc. The hotel is owned by a tour company and is designed for bus tour groups. The food for groups was plentiful and of good quality. Rooms and beds were small by North American standards, but comfortable. Staff was quite helpful. English is spoken throughout Greece and especially at hotels. There is a large swimming pool and our tour scheduled enough time for using it.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Innocent_Abroad
Reviewed 28 January 2012

To be honest, I didn’t spend much time at this hotel. It was just an overnight stay as part of the Chat Tours itinerary. We got here too late in the evening – just in time for dinner – and left immediately after breakfast; so it was not possible to see the scenery from the room. The room is a bit dated. Clean but not clean enough. I found a dried raisin on the floor; so, I’m not sure when it was cleaned. Bathroom was okay but not in the same class as other hotels I’ve been in and could have been cleaner. There were stains on the bathroom floor probably from removing or trying to remove the paint that fell (why couldn’t they just have lined the floor with newspaper) while painting the ceiling.

Some people on the tour grumbled a lot at dinner about this hotel since we were told we would stay in a 4 star hotel. Definitely not a 4 star one but for an overnight stay, it was not bad. I didn’t feel the bed was uncomfortable but then again, I was dead tired. Also, I don’t look for feather mattresses when I travel – just a clean room and bathroom.

One honeymoon couple said they were given a room with separate beds.

Dinner and breakfast – there was a variety of dishes and I thought it was good. So, I thought the hotel was okay. Not top class but good enough for a stopover. I think if they refurbish it and take care of the little things, they will have more satisfied guests and better reviews.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo