See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 31 July 2016 via mobile

When we arrived at the hotel, we saw a really nice parking lot and a quite decent entrance. However, we had to carry our luggage to the other side of the hotel with no help available (not even an elevator).

About rooms:

Positives:
Wifi working
A/C was doing ok
Light bulbs were all working

Negatives:
Wardrobes were just a space with no shelves etc.
We found dirty ash trays inside the drawers below the mirror.
The beds were looking dusty. (!!)
Fridge had some mold.
The toilet drainage was malfunctioning.
Moreover, there were no sockets available for our devices to charge (there were 2 sockets, occupied by TV and fridge)

Facilities:

The swimming pool area was dominated by cats (they were walking on the tables around the area). We didnt see anyone approach this part of the hotel.

Breakfast:
Inadequate and not fresh. For example, butter, ham and cheese were not kept cold enough and that's a major issue (for health purposes).

I'm really sorry about the bad review, but we have been to similar hotels and the overall picture was far better. Things need to be improved and, in my opinion, the owner's and manager's mindset about accomodation has to change. NOW!!

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank mikepet15
Reviewed 18 July 2016 via mobile

Room was clean and AC worked well. Wifi didn't work in the room. We were the only guests and the usual breakfast buffet wasn't offered. A simple breakfast was served to us. Host was was friendly and was eager to visit. Pool needed cleaning. It was usable, but had a lot of debris down in the bottom. This town is pretty far from anything, so unless you've rented a car, you won't be able to walk to anything.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 April 2016 via mobile

I went for a quiet solo summer vacation / relaxation trip, and it was just right.
The room was very clean, the hotel was cosy and the swimming pool was my favorite part, since I couldn't get to the beach.
Very quiet, very hospitable environment and the owner of the hotel is a very kind and very helpful man. Served breakfast every morning, while chatting about the weather and other funny events. I wish to go back there

Stayed: August 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 September 2014

The one night we stayed at this hotel was one of the longest nights of our trip. It was awful. I am not ignorant, I knew this was a 3 star rated hotel in the middle of the countryside in Greece, so I knew we were not walking into any type of luxurious accommodations.

The atrocious smell of stale cigarettes in the rooms is unbearable - the air conditioner (which was more like a poor quality fan that hummed an awful noise) smells like it is pushing out more cigarette smoke, and that was when we could actually get the AC to turn on. Yes, this is Greece, everyone smokes, so I can understand the ash trays on the bedside tables, BUT the ball of hair (YES a ball of red hair) that was nicely placed inside the ashtray made me contemplate if the room had even been cleaned since the last person left.

The bathroom. . . I don't even know where to begin, it is filthy to put it mildly. It is also one of the smallest bathrooms I have ever seen, I am still flabbergasted that they were able to fit a shower, toilet and sink in that tiny space. I will say that the sink was in relatively decent shape, but every other surface in the bathroom had mold and mildew on and around it. The towels that they gave us were rough and had too much fabric softener on them so you couldn't even use them to dry your hands. We literally had to use beach towels we brought after we showered.

The bed. . . . springs anyone? The thin mattresses had so many springs popping up that you could visibly see them under the shredded bed covers.

Everything in this room needed to be replaced over a decade ago. It only makes it worse that the rooms aren't cleaned appropriately, and based on the excessive amount of mold its rather apparent that they haven't ever been too concerned about cleanliness. We tried addressing all of these issues with the owner who said we could switch rooms, but the lack of concern about our complaints just made it blatantly obvious that we would just be switching to a room with the same issues.

I hate to write a bad review being that this is a family business, that obviously makes their living by running this hotel-however I don't see how they have any repeat business. We visit this area every year, and typically stay with family who lives in close proximity to this hotel. With a growing family we decided to stay at a hotel instead and hoped we could conveniently stay at Athina Hotel each year we visited. We could not wait to get out of this place and instead of spending more time with our family we chose to drive an additional 20km away to find a Hotel to stay at instead of the Motel Athina.

The hotel is a nice property and has some potential to be a nice place to stay at, perhaps ownership will sell it to someone who knows what they're doing.

And by the way they don't take credit cards and don't tell you until you are checking out at the end of your stay. Convenient.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Nicole71982
AGGELIKI K, Διευθυντής at Athina Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2014

Everything you write does not relate in any way to my Hotel. My hotel is established by many travel agencies and customers as it engaged 20 years in the tourism business and never had problems with my customers .I don't accept reviews by people who doubt whether they are ever my clients. Please be more careful in what you write.
You can see ratings and reviews for our hotel in other sites(for example booking.com) so you will understand that everything they write in this criticism are false.

Reviewed 28 September 2013

The location of the hotel is one of the advantages.You can reach Olympia in about 15 minutes by car, while at the same time the town Krestena is within walking distance in case you want to get an idea of local life.As for the hotel, the owner really did his best to make us feel at home but there is still a lot to be done...The decoration is old-fashioned and the rooms a bit cramped.The price of the rooms -about 40 euros- was moderate and consistent with what we were offered, though.There is a swimming pool and a breakfast of mediocre quality is offered.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family