“The perfect budget sleep-over with George”
Review of Hotel El Greco

and 1 more site!
Hotel El Greco
Ranked #21 of 21 Hotels in Patras
Reviewed 22 October 2013

It was comforting meeting the blunt talking George, owner of this budget hotel, as I walked in looking for a bed for the night. He was no fun at first as I was scanned by his investigating eyes but I knew that if he let me book a room I would be safe from hassle of any type from any other guest, or hustler cruising the hotel reception of Patras. He had run El Greco for 42 years and knew trouble when it walked in. I inspected the room on the top floor. It was clearly budget, but clean and it passed the ultimate test for me. The towels were clean and intact and the basin and loo-bowl were spotless and white as well. Back in reception, blunt George had inspected my passport and was now a relaxed chatty host. He discovered his son now lived in my country and he even knew my birthplace. Now he gave his recommendations for good places to eat. The bed was firm and I had the first deep and all-night sleep I had had for 6 months and a rare one in any hotel. Was it the lack of traffic noise? or the cool, crisp sheets on a good mattress?
In the morning, manager Ilias was welcoming, informative about the joys of Patras and, best of all, gave me directions to perhaps the only 'traditional' Greek trattoria left in this trendy port-cum University town. The most impressive gesture of a welcoming hotel was that Ilias realised that I had left a hiking stick behind after I left for the bus-station then lept on his scooter and dashed to catch me. And all that from a budget hotel??

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Cyclades_soulmate
There are newer reviews for Hotel El Greco

Reviewed 29 October 2012

We stayed at El Greco for a night. We were given a mountain side room, so it was not that noisy. But....the toilette flush would not function and there was no hanger for the shower. I've read simillar comments from other people but I expected that such basic things should be fixed on the spot. In the morning I realised that I did not have my ID with me, I thought I lost it. I was in panic because my flight was on that day. Then I recalled that I gave it at the reception for the check in. I rushed dowstairs, the old guy (the owner) was there. He looked in his papers and he gave back my ID. When I complained that they should not have kept my ID, or if by mistake, they should have given it back to me (I went in - out the hotel several times) he said it was my mistake. He was very ironic and not a person that is suitable for the reception. Should I have paid more for a toilette flush or a polite receptionist? Maybe!!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Yioulica
Reviewed 25 September 2012

We stayed here for only one night in transit, but the Hotel El Greco had friendly staff and fantastically clean rooms. It is within walking distance from the Bus station and Port of Patras. Some rooms have en-suite bathrooms. Others have private (outside room) bathrooms. Good price (best I could find in Patras)

Room Tip: depends on what your needs are off-street or not (if you use A/C) En-suite bathroom or not?
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 March 2012

The prices online were cheaper than those offered by the receptionist, but when I pointed this out to him he was willing to drop them. It is a large, depressed hotel close to the ferry port. I was given a double room with my own personal bathroom - in the corridor through another locked door. I missed my boat so needed somewhere cheap for the night and it did the trick. It was a saturday night in the off season, and the walls are relatively thin. Either it was an early spring, or it was being used by working girls. There was a lot of very vocal appreciation going on around me into the small hours.

Nonetheless, wifi internet throughout, comfortable large bed, friendly staff. Perfect for my purposes. Bring earplugs if you're on a saturday in the off season ;)

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Alhimself
Reviewed 28 November 2011

During a month of volunteering work in Greece,I decided one weekend to visit Patra. I initially booked into Patras Smart hotel which is a nice clean modern hotel just outside of the city centre but my funds were dangerously low so after one night I decided to move to El Greco hotel which is probably the cheapest hotel I've found in Patra, I payed 38 Euros for a room, the other hotel Patras Smart was around 65 Euros, although cheaper if you book online.

El Greco hotel is situated right in the centre of Patra on a busting street. Everything you need is within walking distance. The hotel itself is perfect for those on a budget, or wanting somewhere cheap and no thrills. The interior is basic,slightly dull and functional, nothing fancy. It's a no thrills hotel. Although the decor was slightly dull the room was clean and had a TV.There was also a balcony overlooking the the rooftops of the city and mountains in the distance.

I will also echo what other people have wrote, the receptionist who is an old guy doesn't greet you with the warmest of welcomes as you would expect at an hotel chain, it's strictly business for him but hey!, it' the cheapest hotel in the city at 38 Euros, I'd be happy to be punched in the face at that price because my budget was so tight. My advice is if you like luxury and upmarket hotels then this is not the place for you. For those travellers who are not too fussy, on a tight budget and just need a roof over your head for a while then Hotel El Greco is the cheapest option.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank John P
Reviewed 18 October 2010

After having travelled in the north, before travelling to the Peloppones we stayed in El-Greco for one night. Just wanted to take a break and see patras.

The hotel was a bit dull and sad. It was very difficult to find a parking place for the car we hired in Athens. Drove for 20 minutes to find a parking place.

The rooms were reasonably sized and clean but very dull. The reception was a dark and dull with no character. It is Ok for a one night stay. The guy in the reception was efficient but not so friendly. We had to pay in cash as he wouldn't switch on the credit card machine.

Overall, it is a OK hotel for one night. There is a very nice buzzing coffee shop diagonally opposite to the hotel which was nice in the morning.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank andrew_netlas
Reviewed 23 August 2010

I had to stay there with my boyfriend only for a night. We went to a wedding in Patra and were tired to go back to Athens in the middle of the night... But maybe we should have...
We arrived at 2 am and the receptionist (an old guy) had a problem with communicating with other people. It took him about 5' to explain us, that the hotel owned 2 parking spots and we could use the one of them. He then held my ID until we really left the hotel, so that we would return him for sure a sign he gave us to park in that spot... :-S
As far as the room is concerned, it must have been the smallest room I 've ever been in. The bed wasn't really that comfortable, the toilett didn't look 100% clean, but the worst thing was with the walls - they were dirty with mosquito corpses....
I paid 48 euros for totally 7 hours of use... Wasn't that much worth it honestly...

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple