“Trip to Sparti”
Review of Hotel Dioscouri

Hotel Dioscouri
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Sparta
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Spent just one night at this hotel. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was very good, clean and tidy. Breakfast could be better, the variety was not big. The location was very good, very close to the city center. We were given a town map by the receptionist who pointed out the places of interest. This proved to be very helpful.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 28 June 2013

Spent two nights in this town hotel. Staff were quite helpful and polite. The general cleanliness was satisfactory but the building appeared unfinished and somehow tired!! We felt it is in need of some generous renovation urgently. Breakfast good, short distance from Sparti centre and close to the historical village of Mystra. Overall a reasonably good town hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Andreas A
Reviewed 26 June 2013

“Our happiest moments as tourists always seem to come when we stumble upon one thing while in pursuit of something else.” A quote from Lawrence Block.

I came looking for some evidence that my ancestors had lived in Sparta. I didn't find any direct evidence of my great-grandparents having lived there, but what I did find was a great town in a beautiful region. Wonderful hotel managers Dimitris and Anna, in different ways, helped me to quickly orient to the town, as well as taking time to assist me in the search for my ancestry. I learned so much in my three night stay that it felt like a week had gone by. I had a rich experience of Sparta due to their helpfulness and generosity.

As for the hotel itself ---
1. comfortable room with balcony
2. good location
3. clean
4. excellent views of the mountains, if you're on an upper floor
5. beautiful breakfast (they had muesli, too)
6. real paintings, good art
7. 70's decor

Room Tip: Ask for non-smoking room.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 June 2013

We visited the hotel in early June. The hotel is well located, clean, tidy, and well kept. The breakfast was very good and the room was large and spacious. I've travelled to Greece every summer for the past five years and this is an excellent hotel

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 June 2013

I am a Spartan by choice, vs birth, and greatly enjoyed my two days at this hotel in Sparta. (BTW, Rick Steves has erred in telling folks to avoid Sparta. The ruins aren't the most impressive in Greece, but it's a great town and the Mystras site is superb.)

The room was comfortable, with very good AC, and conveniently located on the main street. There was a kiosk across the street for snacks, a taxi stand across the street for a ride up to Mystras, and a grocery store within a few blocks, as well as excellent gyros at a small restaurant within a few blocks. I walked to the bus station in about 20 minutes.

The hotel staff was very friendly and patiently answered all my questions, gave me good directions to the Leonidas statue and old ruins, and made suggestions for my stay. They provided a very informative book on the history of Sparta,and Dimitrios took the time to tell me about Spartan history. (FYI, the Greek spelling is Sparti, pronounced "Sparty".)

Dimitrios even had the answer to my toughest question about Sparta, which is why the best-looking men in Greece are from Sparta. The answer: "This is Sparta!" He highly recommended the movie "The 300".

The only need for improvement is for the hotel to design and sell T shirts that spell Sparta in Greek, along with the words "Molon Labe" and a Spartan helmet.:) I found lots of Spartan T shirts in Athens, but none in Sparta.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 June 2013

We stayed overnight here to see the sites of ancient Sparta. We were welcomed by Dimitris who was so friendly and happy to serve two weary travelers who had been driving for hours.He was also very keen to show us where to find the sites we wanted to see plus more! The first room we were given smelled strongly of smoke but this was quickly changed to a much more pleasant room on the 4th floor. The room was big with a wrap around balcony with fantastic views. I thought noise might be a problem as the bedroom faced the street and there was no double glazing on the windows but we slept soundly and heard nothing. Breakfast was very nice and was included in the price of the room. This hotel has great potential and with a bit of a facelift ie repainted and re carpeted and updated bathrooms I think it would be fantastic. But saying that, it is charming just as it is and very, very reasonably priced.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 June 2013

We stayed in June 2013 for one night while we visited Mystra. We chose to stay in Sparta to see what Greece was like in a larger city away from Athens. We loved Sparta, it is a vibrant and friendly city with many restaurants and cafes. We even found a sports bar that gave us our own television to watch the French Open. The hotel staff directed us to the bar! Great service, good location, clean and comfortable big rooms with a balcony. Breakfast was well worth the time. I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: The hotel is across from a church so be prepared to enjoy the ambiance of the bells.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sparta
Lakonia Hotel
#5 of 9 in Sparta
Hotel Pyrgos Mystra
Hotel Pyrgos Mystra
#2 of 9 in Sparta

Been to Hotel Dioscouri? Share your experiences!