“Great holiday !!!!!!”
Review of Oasis

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Skiathos
Oasis
Ranked #6 of 84 Hotels in Skiathos
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We returned from the Oasis on 25th July after spending an excellent week on the beautiful island of Skiathos.
We received a very warm welcome from Mike and Dave on arrival and then from the other members of staff as the week went on. The little finishing touches ( like free drink on arrival, Water Melon being handed out to the guests that were relaxing by the pool every afternoon and free ice cream and fruit after a meal ) which made this holiday friendly. One guest said it was like being sat in your own back garden and that was true except there was sunshine and no work the next day.
The apartments are situated in a lovely spot and its almost like a smallholding with a couple of dogs, chickens, goats, two horses ( for a couple of days while we were there ), I wish I was back there now.
If you are the sort of person that wants to eat in the apartment all the time then maybe its not for you as the cooking facilities are a little limited but the prices at the pool bar and within the resort, 5 minutes walk away, aren't expensive so you may as well enjoy the hospitality.
I'm usually like to try different places rather than going back to the same place all the time but thank you Mike for a great holiday. I'm sure we will definately be back again.

Room Tip: We had room A1 which was a good size for a couple and didn't get the late afternoon / evening su...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jayne187069

Reviewed 18 July 2014

The Oasis Apartments and studios are situated about 2 minutes from the airport. Set in its own grounds there are 2 blocks of apartments with Block A comprising basement, ground, first and second floors. Block U is ground and first floor. There is also a small single block of apartments adjacent to Block U.

There is an ample bar with an indoor lounge with TV’s and games area. Food is prepared to the rear of the bar. We considered the food to be good value for money although I have to be honest and say we only had sandwiches but these were always fresh and tasty, particularly the tuna. Security boxes are situated to the rear of the bar in a private area and cost 10 Euros per week which is quite acceptable.

There is a small pool, a toilet block with ladies and gents and a library of second hand books. The library also has a number of computers for the free use of guests with internet access.

The gardens around the complex are well maintained and how beautiful to see lemon trees full of fresh plump lemons. Other fruit trees include plums and pears. There are ample sun beds and umbrellas situated around the complex and during our visit in early July I never once saw anybody getting up early to reserve sun beds with towels. A real first in all the years I have been travelling abroad! There are also plenty of hammocks for those of you that are a little more adventurous.

We were in room A4 on the first floor. On entering the door there is a small kitchenette to the right comprising fridge, hotplate, toaster, sink and cupboards with cutlery and crockery. We did not use the cooking facilities as there is no window here so any heat would be captured in the room. However, this proved to be a benefit as this side of the apartments gets the sun in the afternoon and consequently the rooms stay cool.

To the immediate left is the toilet and bathroom which again are clean and more than adequate for 3 person occupancy. The shower is a walk in wet room and I have to say is excellent.

The main room contains 2 single beds, TV, wardrobe and small beside cabinets. The extra room leads from the main bedroom and out onto a rather small balcony. The bedroom has a single bed and a wardrobe. The balcony has a small table and 3 chairs albeit a bit cramped. The balcony gets the sun in the morning before it gets too hot. What a nice place to sit and eat breakfast.

The balcony faces the bar area and can be noisy at night time. Unlike many places today the music doesn’t stop until about midnight and sadly the balcony seems to capture the bar noise so could be a problem for light sleepers. It would be good if the music stopped at say 11.30 but ultimately we are on holiday and some holidaymakers would probably prefer to see the entertainment continue much later. It’s all down to personal preference I suppose. My advice is if you prefer quite, ask for block U but beware that these rooms face the afternoon sun through the patio doors so can cause the rooms to be much hotter in the evening. The rooms do have air conditioning but at 50 Euros for the week it’s a bit pricey. Best tip here is speak to Mike and he will lend you a couple of fans. These do help quite a bit.

On arrival you will be met by Mike the owner who welcomes you with a free drink on the house. Mike explains the dos and don’ts and provides some useful tips on how to get into town. Mike is an excellent host. It’s the first place I have been where the owner comes round in the morning asking is everybody happy. A nice touch I thought. He even took some of the youngsters out for an afternoon snorkelling.

The staff behind the bar work hard and when we were there big Dave was working with his partner Valentine. Dave, from the UK, is always ready to answer your questions and is really helpful. He also has some excellent knowledge of the island and can advise on what to do and where to go. The rest of the team were friendly and hard working.

The bar has a number of happy hours during the week. These are timed at around 10pm so gives you time to go into town for dinner and return to get your ‘2 for 1’. Night time at the bar is a fairly quiet affair most evenings but there is occasional entertainment in the form of singers. I did think that the lighting is a little on the dark side in the evening and thought how different the place would look if there were say 6 candle lit lanterns placed around the pool area just to lift the atmosphere a little.

Mike has a passion for animals and has a beautiful friendly Doberman, a few fish tanks and some bird cages. I understand he also has some horses.

The complex is less than 10 minutes from the town. There are 2 options when walking. Option 1 is to go along the main road to the front of the complex. The road bends to the left and drops down into Skiathos town coming out where the bus stops for Koukounaries. The road passes an excellent supermarket which is about 3 mins from the Oasis. The down side with this route is that the pavements are not particularly good until you pass the supermarket, also it can be very hot.

The alternative is by following the path to the rear of the premises. We thought this was the prettiest route eventually coming out by the marina. Again this route is less than 10 minutes walk and the paths are quite well maintained. You pass gardens full of fruit and vegetables growing in the gardens.

There is not enough time to go into how beautiful Skiathos town is but suffice to say that this is not really a family destination as there is no beach. You will need to take either the bus which costs 2 Euros from the centre or even better get the water taxi from the old town to Kanapsitsa at 3 Euros. Brilliant!

Skiathos town is an amazing collection of shops and restaurants with eating places just about everywhere. Don’t be put off by those on the seafront, they are no dearer than anywhere else and it is idyllic just to sit looking out over the bay and watching the yachts coming back in after a day out sailing.

Overall we thought our week holiday was really enjoyable and the Oasis has some real charm and quite pretty grounds. I would probably come back here again but might look to stay in Block U rather than Block A.

Skiathos and the Oasis are definitely worth a visit!

Paul , Audrey and Laura Partridge

Room Tip: Block U are quieter
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank paulaud
mikeskiathos, Owner at Oasis, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Hi,
First I want to thank you for taking the effort to write such a detailed review.
I must congratulate you for I think that you have told it like I imagine it to be as near the truth as possible.
I also would like to thank you for your praises.
As by now your readers will realize, every time we do not get a perfect score our standings in the ranks drops by a few places, this though is not the reason I answer them…….
I promise you that I am not a vain person and actually I have written again that my thoughts are that we are only a small ( 30 rooms) self care establishment, and that I truly believe that there are many other places in Skiathos that deserve to be up in the ranks more than us…..
One of your hints concerning the time we should close our pool bar restaurant, though should be answered. You mention that in your beliefs around 11.30 is a proper time.
I think that you also should give an estimate of your age when you ask for this. When you belong to the group over 60, and we have in July (high season) the majority of our guests belonging to different age groups, then yes I can understand your proposal, unfortunately I can’t do this as it would mean that the rest of our guests which belong in a much younger generation (mind you I am in your age group) will not be happy…..
I often have thought to close down the bar restaurant as in actuality the costs exceed revenues, but this would be unfair to my visitors.
Yes I agree it can get to be noisy in July, and it is not only from the music, but what must I say to the guests, stop laughing and chattering , 1-2-3 rooms want to sleep by 11.30?
I really can’t do this, so thank you for bringing this problem up, as other guests will be informed and act accordingly.
Also I want them to know that the U section that you mention has its own issues, like farm noises at 5 am, or the discos in the weekend ( all of Skiathos town has this problem)….. So nobody is perfect in my books….
Thank you again and I truly hope that you return, May, early June and from mid September we do not have these issues.
Mike

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Holiday got off to a good start with a very warm welcome from Mike & team, we immediately felt confident that this was a good choice - we were not disappointed. Everything about Oasis is spot on - from the apartment, cleanliness, pool, gardens, bar, food, location but most of all the friendliness from the whole team. We thoroughly enjoyed our first visit to Oasis and will definitely return.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ysboyd
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Stayed near the Oasis but went into there every night as the setting is lovely and the Staff are great. So friendly helpful and very nice people. Mick is a good host and tries different types of entertainment for the customers and does try and please everyone. Also does good food. Went into the Oasis last year as well and hopefully will go back next year. wish the flights were cheaper would go twice a year if they were.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jan O
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Just returned from another great holiday at the Oasis hotel Skiathos. Nothing has changed much, its the same really friendly hotel run by Mike and Eleni and their team. Plenty of sunbeds in a nice quiet setting, only a ten minute walk into the centre of town, 5 minutes down to the waterfront with some superb restaraunts.
If you want a clean, friendly, peacefull and relaxing holiday with friendly faces, you will not better this hotel, but don't take my word for it....go and try it yourselves, you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for one overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chipbuttyman
Reviewed 13 July 2014

just returned from a beautiful 2 week stay at the oasis these apartments are beautifully set in their own grounds the pool area is very relaxing with sunbeds and hammocks the food is excellent with a menu rangeing from a full english breakfast to traditional greek cuisine there is also a library with wi-fi mike and his staff were excellent and will make you feel right at home all in all this was a brilliant holiday and gets 10 out of 10 from dave and chris and i am sure that we will be returning there in the future

Room Tip: any room is good at the oasis
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank oasisboomerangers
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We did not stay at oasis (But wish we had ) but used the facilities there most days and were given a warm welcome by Mike and staff. the gardens are lovely, with plenty of sunbeds, hammocks, swinging settees in sun and shade. the meals are excellent quality, and so big one is often enough for two people. The free use of computers is great to pick up e mails from home. I saw several room all looked comfortable and well equipped, what I liked was each veranda,/ balcony had very comfortable armchairs or settees not hard plastic.
Mike is so thoughtful when someone hurt his foot he insisted on taking him to the medical centre, then moved him rooms so he didn't have to cope with steps all without being asked.
there are even shopping trollies by the front gate for guests going to the supermarket to use, he has thought of every single thing to enhance guests stay. All the staff are hardworking and friendly, and Bella the dog is lovely too.
most of the guests are repeat visitors and ive never met such a friendly crowd. overall excellent

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple