“Wish I had gone higher”

US$83.92*
Mount Olympus Canyoning Adventure
Ranked #4 of 163 things to do in Thessaly
Reviewed 13 July 2014

If it wasn't for a little slip a few days before, I would of.. From what I saw (only halfway to the highest peak) - stunning! I have been wanting to go there sometime and it didn't fail my expectations. Magnetic hill is quite an interesting discovery - loved by the tourists, feared by the Greeks. Finding the right place (eastern part of the vast mountain) - beautiful views of the towns below and the Aegean Sea. Some nice stories behind the mountain, from the gods residence there - to stories of grave-robbers and monks.

2  Thank Loko88

Reviewed 12 July 2014

Nice hike. But no variety of hikes for an amateur hiker. I would hike it again. It is moderately difficult at the start of the E4trail. The trailhead is located 2 kilometers from the center of the town. Near the meyli tavern. For the e4 trail take a left where you see the wooden railing.

1  Thank sheep74
Reviewed 3 July 2014

A legendary mountain that every one should try one day.
I've done the route with my 8 years old kid from Prionia.
Enjoy!

2  Thank CarpatBike
Reviewed 21 October 2013

For visiting the monasteries and caves, you should do some tracking. The paths that you follow have awesome view. There are also longer paths for tracking also in Mount Olympus. Should everybody interest in nature should visit there. Only dissappointment was we were expecting to see some altars or sanctuaries about ancient gods of greece but we cannot find any

3  Thank BerkayDikici
Reviewed 3 October 2013

During a two week holiday at the Chalkidiki peninsula with my family I decided to spend a day to visit the Olympus mountain range, and if possible reach the top of Mytikas - the high point of Greece. The most frequented route to the top is the E4 trail from a small mountain village called Prionia to the top of Skala. From Skala a semi-exposed traverse leads to the top of Mytikas.

Most peaople do this as a two day trek, spending the night in Refugee A on the way up. But it is also possible to do it in one day if you are used to long treks in the mountains. The distance from Prionia to the summit of Mytikas is approximately 10 km, but bear in mind the 2000 m vertical distance as well. I spent between 6 and 7 hours on my round trip.

The trek from Prionia to the sub summit Skala goes along a marked trail without any dangerous or exposed sections. But the final section between Skala and Mytikas is more challenging. It contains several steep sections where the use of hands is necessary, and people with a tendency towards acrophobia might find this part scary. However the traverse is not technically difficult at all, at least in dry conditions.

For those of you who are not sure if this final traverse would be too scary I recommend to do the trip to Skala anyway and see for youself. You will not regret it even if you do not reach the summit.

More photos from my trek to Mytiaks can be seen in this trip report:

19  Thank Vegard001