“Amazing Building and Good Food” 5 of 5 bubbles

Den Gamle Kro
Ranked #6 of 235 Restaurants in Odense
Price range: US$25 - US$60
Cuisines: European, Scandinavian, Danish
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Amazing Building and Good Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

This building is one of the oldest in Odense and it is absolutely stunning. The food was very good and the service was spectacular. You must not miss this amazing place!

• Visited April 2014

• Polish first
Denmark
“Do not forget to visit this fantastic restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

I have eaten at this restaurant several times during the last 35 years. And it always surprises me. Fantastic open sandwiches, kind and efficient service and fairytale surroundings!
This is a place where you can travel 100 years back in time - and enjoy traditional Danish food when it is best.
Do not miss this place!

• Visited April 2014
New York City, New York
“TERRIFIC FOOD & SERVICE”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

Just order the smoerrebroed (the open-faced sandwiches) at lunch--you can't go wrong. The dinners are very good too.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank WJClinton
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Dry chicken covered in salt sauce”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

Went there last week for my husband's birthday dinner using a gift voucher from a friend. I was so excited because I always wanted to eat in this old, charming looking restaurant. The voucher was for 3 course meal, starter, main course and desserts. The starter was salmon with rosmarine, which was okay, and the dessert was chocolate cake with ice cream, which was okay too. But the main course was a disaster.
The main course was roasted chicken with kale inside, and some potato with cheese and artichoke. The chicken was very very very dry, and it is just like eating chicken covered with salt. What amazes me was the arrogant answer when I told one of the waitress that I could not possibly eat that, I can not even feel my tongue from all of the salts. He just told me that it is marinated in salt and supposed to taste like that. He then said that he can't really explain to me in English, which then he explained to my husband in Danish. My husband told me, it was just the way it is, nothing that they can do about it. We can always order out from the voucher and try our luck. I was amazed because the waitress did not even bother to offer solution, he can see that I only ate one bite of the chicken, I finally just put the plate on the edge of the table, until another server asked me the problem, and I explained to him again, and he finally asked me if I want something else. I told him, what are you offering, he then took my dish and in 8 mins replace it with the same dish, made in hurry I supposed, because it has no kale inside my chicken now. But, at least it was not covered with salt, and was not as dry as the one that I had before. My husband tasted it, and still complain it's too dry. But, I am not bothered to complain again, because I do not believe they can do it better. It was just an unpleasant experience, and was so glad that we actually went there with a voucher, I would not waste my money to eat there again. Even when I got another voucher for the place. Not worth it.

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Lia J
London, United Kingdom
“Beautiful setting, old fashioned charm”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

This restaurant dates from 1683 and is located in a beautiful half timbered house right in the centre of Odense. The setting and atmosphere reflects its history, lovely old period furniture, paintings etc., and professional polished service. The have their own take on a Kir Royal, Cava with raspberry syrup, which makes a nice aperitif.
Their set menus change with the seasons. The dishes are fairly simple, natural, and wholesome (i.e. quintessentially Danish), yet with a sophisticated twist. Starter was salt cured salmon with smoked cream cheese, served with a salad garnish with radishes - fresh and natural tasting, simply lovely. The main course of white wine marinated pork medallions was cooked very well, very tender and flavoursome meat in a herb scented gravy, served simply with new potatoes, very fresh green and horse beans, and a pea puree. They definitely make the most of what's fresh in the garden! Their recommended red Villa Antinori wine was a great match for this dish. The dessert, again simple, but refined, was prepared at the table:fresh raspberries and strawberries on a berry coulis, with croquant and vanilla ice cream, delicious!
The bill for the three course meal, plus cava and wine, but without tip, was DKK512, not cheap, even in Denmark, but not too much for a delightful meal with fresh, seasonal ingredients in a great setting with very good service.

• Visited July 2013