“Pleasant stay at the Royal”
Review of Hotel Royal

Hotel Royal
Ranked #10 of 22 Hotels in Aarhus
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Spent a night there. Very well located for visiting Aarhus Centrum. Quaint hotel with interesting murals. Lovely rooms, but beware noise level from plaza. Interior rooms are quieter. Outstanding breakfast buffet in lovely atrium terrace. Very helpful staff. Would stay again.

Room Tip: Suites are nice but street noise. Interior rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Took the short trip to Aarhus for a weekend with the wife and have to say it was superb! The hotel is very old school but also very very good! The hotel rooms, staff and breakfast were all first class and I would go back there in the morning!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tmarks123
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I have stayed here a few times before as the location is perfect and I also always used to think the price was very fair. But it is starting to look quite worn. The carpets in the reception is stained and in my room there were big patches as well.. So even if the rooms are large and the breakfast is decent its just not good enough. Old stained carpets just makes the hotel look a bit dirty. The service I have experienced has always been good and very friendly..

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I booked the "weekend royal" package deal online as a weekend break whilst working. It included a standard room & 3 course meal. The emailed confirmation was for a single room? When I arrived I was told it was a single room without meal. I had to show the receptionist the deal I'd booked on my laptop in the reception. It was embarrassing. They reinstated the deal with a small & very reasonable, single supplement, for a room with a bath & a view. There was no bath & the view was of the courtyard restaurant of the hotel (with the curtains open, the diners could see into the room). Another room smelt of drains. An electrical plug socket was coming away from the wall, revealing all the wires - beware if you have children (Room 220). When I went to dinner, the waitress knew nothing of the '3 course dinner' & there was no menu provided for it. I was given a really nice, though very minimal, 3 course meal. The next day at dinner, the restaurant manager came out & said there was no 3 course dinner deal, went to the front desk, spoke to the receptionist who had booked my deal the previous day, came back & said the receptionist confirmed there was no such deal/booking... In front of the diners he was abrupt & I had to leave. When I complained to the manager (unavailable until I was leaving), I was told that the hotel restaurant is not owned by the hotel & that the receptionist also found the restaurant manager rude. The receptionist reduced my bill by 500Kr (£55/€67/$91). I was overcharged when I left (an error & refunded). On the plus side, the buffet breakfast was great, the room & en suite shower room, spacious & comfortable, the nearby 'Latin' quarter with lots of super, cosy restaurants, cafe's, bars & cinema with lots of character. I'd recommend Aarhus lots. The Hotel Royal: mistakes do happen, but....

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank AMR924
Reviewed 7 November 2013

My first impression when I arrived at the hotel: WOW. It is like stepping in History.
I got to the room and I was amazed I got the Junior Suite.
The room - the apartment - is so huge that it started feeling spooky at night. :)
Many artifacts, pictures on the whole makes you feel like part of something.
The bathroom is really spacious and always warm.

The Wi-Fi signal is excellent.

The breakfast is just OK compared to such an hotel.

Be careful of the elevator, you can actually get stuck in it. It actually happened to me.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank DanR31
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I went with a friend and requested 2 superior rooms, I insisted on a very quiet room. We arrived at 12h30 pm, only one room was ready so we put our luggage in the room and went to lunch. When we came back I opted for the smallest of the 2 rooms overlooking a glassed inner courtyard....it was very quiet, my friend had a room on the street and he said some late night party goers were noisy....well it was Friday and Saturday night !
The décor of my room was crazy and pompous....the bathroom sink, bidet and toilet painted black and gold.....it was fun.
Good free WI FI , efficient reception
only bad point, the in room breakfast was pitiful one small bread 2 very thin cheese slice, one little butter plastic container one cup of hot chocolate.

Room Tip: Choose a room not on the street side
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank lahulpe80
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Despite the stained carpet in the hotel's common areas, my first impressions of the hotel were positive. However, I liked the hotel less and less the longer we stayed.

Location:
The hotel is located in the central part of town and was within very short walking distance of great cafes and shops. Still, despite being in a non-street facing room and on the top floor, we found it to be very noisy. Also, the hotel offers no dedicated parking, which meant we needed to leave our car at the harbour.

Rooms:
We booked a suite, and while it was spacious and seemingly nice, I liked it less the longer we were there. The bed was not comfortable, and the blankets were made for single sized beds, which meant that I couldn't share one with my partner. The soap in the bathroom hadn't been refilled, and they didn't offer separate hand and shower soap, which meant we had to move the same bottle around for bathing and hand washing. And while art is a matter of taste, the pieces they chose for the room didn't match the decor or each other. It was odd.

Service:
Danes tend to be rather reserved, but it would have been great for the hotel staff to at least attempt a smile every now and then. They were not rude, but hospitality was not forthcoming.

Food:
The breakfast service (included in the room rate) met the minimum level in terms of both variety and taste to be considered adequate. Still, had we booked for more than one night, I would have eaten breakfast on subsequent days at one of the many cafes nearby.

Staying in this hotel is not the worst decision one could make, but I would hope better accommodation exists in the area. Aarhus is a wonderful city, and proper accommodation could enhance that experience.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple