“Interesting and getting better ”
Review of Den Gamle By

Den Gamle By
Ranked #2 of 273 things to do in Aarhus
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

There are many such living museums across Europe. This is one of the most varied. You'll find properties covering several centuries, and from many areas of Jutland.
The cafe/restaurant has a good variety of food & drink.
When you get to the bottom of the hill there are carriage rides sometimes available. The prices are pretty steep, especially when you find out how short the rides actually are.
The new area is where I think that The Old Town is doing something really different. Not only are there shops from the 70s, as you can find in other museums, but there are apartments. These are a very good cross section of Danish life 40 years earlier. The videos from original inhabitants and visitors adds a lot more to the understanding.

1  Thank stevetupper
There are newer reviews for Den Gamle By

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Allow yourself plenty of time to wander back in time in this wonderful open air museum - Dem Gamle By. The buildings have been beautifully restored and brought to life by people walking around the town in authentic costumes of the time. A must is seeing the school children in a period classroom. Buy a Danish delicacy in the old bakery it smelt and tasted delicious. There is new era of the 70's being constructed - made me realise just how old I am getting. Quite a few of the exhibits were items I we'll remember! Have a go in the fun-fair - stilt walking, skittles, boat swing and lots more at no extra charge. Had a great time there and would certainly visit again.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

Seem to be in a Fairy Tale, to went back travelling in the Time...amazing, this place is the SOUL of Aarhus, i want go back there again!!

Reviewed 2 July 2014

I went to Den Gamle By by myself as a stopover on my way to NordJylland. Maybe I was just expecting more, but I wasn't as thrilled with it as I was expecting. Don't get me wrong; it was great seeing the old buildings and the way the towns would have used to be, but it seems like the whole experience is geared toward younger kids. Being on a tight budget, I was finished walking around the area within an hour or two.

It may have also been because I went near the middle of May - not off-season, but not high tourist season either when there would be events happening. I suggest if you are going to visit, maybe combine it with a visit to the Botanical Gardens (right next door) or try to go when an event is being held.

1  Thank Europhile24
Reviewed 1 July 2014

This was the first open air museum of buildings in the world and makes a fascinating outing. We visited the first time close to Christmas and there were a lot of extra entertainers and decorations appropriate to the era of the buildings. On our recent visit there were several new buildings from the 1960s and they really add to the story of Denmark's homes through the ages.

We live close to the Chiltern open air museum in Buckinghamshire, which is also worth a visit ,but must hope to develop into something as impressive as Den Gamle By.