“Perfect place to stay on a beautiful island” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tohojgaard Bed & Breakfast

Tohojgaard Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 15 Stege B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Perfect place to stay on a beautiful island”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

We had a fantastic break on Moen, staying in this beautiful B&B. The location is as idyllic as the reviews suggest - I would highly recommend a visit.

You could easily spend a week exploring Moen, ideally by bike. The cliffs and surrounding beech woods are a must day-trip, with the reward of a huge icecream covered in sprinkles in the cafe at the top. The roads around the island are quiet and perfect for cycling. The island has a relaxed feel, with local produce (amazing jams, cordials and fruit) and honest boxes along by the roadside. In the evening, we saw many deer, swallows and hares close to the B+B. The frescos in the churches are unbelievably preserved and definitely worth the effort to see.

The beach near the B+B (10mins walk) is so quiet and peaceful, like your own little piece of the Baltic. The B+B itself has beautifully kept gardens and outside decking, with great views across the sea. It is a good 8km from the town of Stege, where the bus from Vordingbord terminates. The taxi service is infrequent, so worth booking in advance if possible (the tourist information centre next to the bus station will give you a number and let you use the phone, if you ask nicely!). It is a pleasant cycle journey to Tohojgaard, but a bit too far for a daily walk in and out of town. If you are travelling by public transport, I would recommend hiring a bike for your stay. There are plenty of cafes and restaurants in Stege, and supermarkets if you are self-catering.

The rooms are decorated with individual flair. Some might find the decoration chintzy, but it suited the island and the holiday. The B+B has real character and felt like you were staying in a welcoming family home. There are eclectic collections of fiction books and some really useful information about the island. The beds were really comfortable with eiderdown duvets and we slept very well. The rooms can be light with the short summer nights, and black-out blinds might be useful. The bathrooms were very clean and the showers nice and hot, but could do with being updated in the next few years. It was very convenient to hire the bikes at the B+B, at a very reasonable price, but they could benefit with a bit of loving care.

These are well-meant suggestions on how to try and improve on a near-perfect place and I would have no hesitation in staying here again. Having seen the other accomodation on the island, this is the best by far - a fantastic retreat from the world. I have already recommended this to friends and family, and hope to visit again soon. Thank you Christine for running this lovely B+B!

Room Tip: They all looked beautiful, but the higher rooms have the best views.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Christine N, Owner at Tohojgaard Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 21 August 2013
Dear Elle2010_10

Thank you so much for your great review and recommendation here at T.A. And I am very happy for your suggestions, which I will give a small comment here:

Traveling by public transportation: it is also possible to rent bikes here at Tohojgaard, but of course, you will have to get here first. If in need, you can always call, and make and arrangement of me picking you up in Stege.

The short summer nights: Actually another guest gave me the same suggestion earlier this year, so I put up black-out blinds in the only room, that didn't have dark curtains ( which is also the room where the sun comes in through panorama-windows in the morning). So in fact, all rooms can be darkened at night. I will remember to inform guests about that in the future.

Bathrooms: Yes, that is one of my future projects, to update the bathrooms - I hope ( in a few years) to be able to fit in one or two bathrooms next to the rooms.

The bikes of Tohoejgaard: need taking care of - and I thank you for telling me about the problems with the bikes, you hired. Some of my guests forget to tell me, if anything happened to the bike, so I will design a small note / check-list to go with the key for the bike, so I can make it fixed before the next guest pick a bike, that is not quite in order.

Once again, thank you for your review - I hope to see you here again some day.
Best regards Christine

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

We had a wonderful evening and night in this beautiful b&b, with an ample terrace allowing us to sit almost right in a field and looking at the sea. Best breakfast we had in all of Denmark!
Thanks and we'll come again!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Christine N, Owner at Tohojgaard Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 11 August 2013
Dear Barbara

Thank you very much for your stay and your review. As a lot of other guests, you came by bike, doing the famous "Berlin-Kopenhagen", and with this beautiful summer, that we have, was able to sit outside and enjoy the view over the ever changing sea, the peace and quite with hares hopping around in the fields - not to forget the stars at night with no disturbance of city lights - and a good breakfast, before you went on the next day.

It makes me very proud to read, that you find it the best on your stay here in Denmark, I will do my best to live up to your expectations, when you choose to come back again.

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

On the train from Copenhagen to Vordinborg, my friend tapped the map. "That hotel is outside Stege. Are you sure the bus goes there?" I was sure of nothing, having made the booking in a slapdash fashion and without checking the map properly. Lesson one.

But then the cavalry rode to the rescue, in the shape of Christine, the hotel owner! Despite the best efforts of the driver of the bus from Vordingsborg to Stege to help us (at one point she even stopped the bus, turned off the engine and flagged down one of her colleagues, who might be going closer to our destination), we ended up in the cafe at the bus station at Stege, and a plaintive call was placed to Tohoejgaard. Taxis seemed as rare as hen's teeth but, luckily for us, Christine drove all the way to Stege to pick us up, repeating the operation on our departure. But, fellow travellers, I'm sure she'd rather not do that every day. We were very grateful though.

As for Tohoejgaard, it was tranquility itself, with field after field of yellow rape flowers stretching down to sandy, unspoilt beaches and with placid views out over the cool, blue-gray Baltic Sea. This is definitely for those who enjoy silence, the sounds of nature and a stillness that is reminiscent of the 1950s.

The hotel itself was very comfortable, Christine even produced supper for us at short notice, everything we needed was available from beer to breakfast. The hotel seems to have been created with tranquility in mind: there are many areas - indoors and outdoors - where you can soak up the view, or perhaps doze off in an armchair with a good book...and don't forget to take a walk down to the sea...

Tohoejgaard is well-run hotel that calms the spirit and soothes the soul, with an ever-helpful host and a serene location. Recommended.

Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Christine N, Owner at Tohojgaard Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
Dear simontig

Thank you very much for you great review. It was fun to read your description of getting here :-)
You are not the only one, who has been taken by surprise, when you realize, that Tohøjgaard is actually not IN the town Stege!! We only have three zip-codes on the Island, covering Eastern Møn, Western Møn and the area around Stege. So that's why, my address is 4780 Stege, but - as you found out - situated 8 km west of the town.

I do try to make that clear on my own website with on line booking, I know, that Lonely Planet and Guide du Routard mentions it in their guides, but I can't answer for booking.com, venere.com and other OTA's, though I have tried to make them point it out. I will make another effort on trying to get them to clarify it.
Taxis are possible to call, but you need to book at least one hour in advance, and they are a bit expensive.

So, if you found yourself stuck in Stege with no possibility to get here, sure I will come and pick you up. I want you to spend the most time here, relaxing, looking over the Baltic sea, and not spend time in a bus station. So thank you once again for your stay - hope to see you some other time.
Jarvenpaa, Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

My wife, our young daughter and I stayed here for two nights and had a wonderful time. Christine is a great and inspiring host. Apart from the nearby beach, you will need a mode of transportation to get around.

Positive
+Attention to details. It was great to be greeted with a cold drink and flowers in the room
+Breakfast. Absolutely wonderful breakfast, better than many hotels
+Amenities. Not only was did we get a room & breakfast but also wifi, big social area with ocean view, tv, games, kitchen. The social area also featured a self service at very reasonable prices.

Negative
-50 DKK charge to use the guest kitchen

Overall we definitely recommend this B&B to other travellers, Christine does a great job!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Christine N, Owner at Tohojgaard Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 17 July 2013
Dear Gnopps

Thank you very much for your review - and for visiting Tohøjgaard Bed & Breakfast - by the edge of the sea, as I say on my website. And indeed it is, where guests can enjoy a magnificent view over the Baltic Sea, take a walk along the beach, looking for beautiful rocks and fossils, or just have a swim to cool off after a long, hot day exploring the island of Møn.

You mention, that you don't approve of the fee of DKK 50 to use the kitchen. So it seems, I haven't made clear, what it is, you pay for: every guest can make coffee and tea, for free, provided by Tohoejgaard, and also use the refrigerator for storing their own food. Likewise, all guests can use the equipment in the kitchen, crockery, cutlery, bowls, dishes, glasses, cups etc. What I do charge for is, when you want to cook a "real" meal, using the stow, pots and pans etc., but to heat up a ready-to-eat-dish is still free. Your comment will help me to improve the explanation of that to future guests in my welcome-folder in the rooms. Thank you - and I hope to see your here again some day.
Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2013

One of the most relaxing places I have ever been. You could spend hours just looking at the immaculate garden and beautiful view across the fields and out to sea. Fresh flowers and soft dressing gown await you. Very well equipped, with shared kitchen area and sitting room, bikes for hire, wine and beer in the fridge. Delicious breakfast - presented beautifully with soft music tinkling away in the background. The whole place is very homely but large enough to feel private. We stayed for 3 nights, but I could have easily stayed for two weeks or longer. If you value food, peace, nature, freedom and fresh air, then this is the place for you. Truly wonderful. Thank you Christine

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Christine N, Owner at Tohojgaard Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 27 June 2013
Hi Polly
Thank you for your stay here - and for your great review. I am pleased to read, that you found it relaxing and peaceful here. As one of the many people staying in Copenhagen, you took a few days off to get away form the hustle and bustle of the city, and just 85 minutes drive away (about two hours with train and bus), you get to Tohøjgaard Bed and Breakfast on Mon, - actually for many danish people more or less unknown. And my effort is to give you a relaxing time her, as it says on my website:

Fresh sea air … the gentle sound of the surf … the slim beech forest … sun on the terrace, the ships on the horizon and a myriad of stars when darkness falls … Perfect for a relaxing, bask-in-the-sun holiday, an adventure trip or an active cycling holiday.
My best Christine
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2013

If you have your own wheels, this is a highly recommended place -lovely rooms, peaceful and quiet, perfect view, simply awesome. From the minor details of the rooms and facilities, one can tell the thoughtfulness and hospitality of Christine and her team.

• Stayed June 2013
Hi Singapore

Thank you for you recommendation of Tohøjgaard Bed and Breakfast. Yes, you are right about the wheels: Tohoejgaard is situated 8km / 5M west of Stege, so to get from there requires some kind of transportation. Most guests come by car or bikes, but if you travel by train and bus to Stege, it is possible for me to pick you up at the bus station, and then you can rent bikes here for your outings.
I thank you for your visit here, maybe you want to come back some tim.
Prague, Czech Republic
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2013

Although we were able to stay at Tohøjgaard for just one night, we had a lovely time there. We enjoyed the feeling being in the real countryside, surrounded by nature but having all the comforts we needed. We felt welcome and like at home. Christine – the owner – is a very kind lady who is passionate about her beautiful garden and she also made a small „garden tour“ for us. There is a nice view of the sea from the garden, and the beach with small stones and sand is easily accesible (walk of about 10 min). You can see Christine´s care and „hygge“ style at every step. Not luxurious, but clean, very comfortable and made with love. A perfect place for those who are fed up with city life and want to renew their energy!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Christine N, Owner at Tohojgaard Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 16 June 2013
Dear Martina P
Thank you for you nice review - and you compliments on my garden. And thanks to your knowledge, you managed to determine a plant, that I have in my herb garden: Ruta graveolens. I don't know, how it "landed" there, and I have no use for it as a herb in my cooking, but I will wait for it to bloom, hoping it can be used in the little vase with flowers, that I put on the welcome-tray in the rooms for new coming guests.
As you point out, Tohoejgaard is a perfect place to stay, if you want to "recharge your batteries", only 75 minutes drive from Copenhagen and about 5 hours from Hamburg and Berlin ... I hope to see you here again some day, when you need a break from the daily rush.
Best regards Christine
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stege
Stege Nor
Kobmandsgaarden
#4 of 15 in Stege
Klintholm Bed & Breakfast
Ny Kirstineberg Manor Bed & Breakfast
Ny Kirstineberg Manor Bed & Brea...
#1 of 2 in Nykobing Falster

Been to Tohojgaard Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!