“Very cute room, lovely location, relaxed, would definitely recommend” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tohojgaard Bed & Breakfast

and 1 more site!
Tohojgaard Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 15 Stege B&B and Inns
Orewa Beach, NZ
“Very cute room, lovely location, relaxed, would definitely recommend”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

We really enjoyed our stay here.
We had the 'Hunter' room and it was absolutely charming, such quirky and gorgeous personality!
It had everything we needed, with lovely touches and was very clean and tidy. The bathroom is down the stairs by the front door, but this was absolutely fine. Rooms are not serviced daily but this didn't bother us.
The views from the rooms were so lovely and relaxing over the bay and countryside.
The owner was friendly and professional and happy to tell you more about the history of the island or things to do.
There were lovely communal areas too - lovely gardens and sun room, Christine has really created a truely relaxing oasis here.
We had decided to purchase daily breakfast and the range was good, everything very fresh.
We did not take any of the dinner options, however if we were to return I think we would get dinner on some nights - I think given the quality of the B&B and the breakfast etc, the dinner is probably very good too!
Location wise, it was not far from Stege where we ate at restaurants each night, and was a good base for exploring the island.
Overall, Mon Island is a stunning place to visit, we were so glad we went - it's very scenic, with lovely villages and the awesome white cliffs. A great long weekend! We would whole heartedly recommend this B&B for your stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Christine N, Owner at Tohojgaard Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
Dear Bunny81

Having guests from the other side of the earth is always fantastic, and having such a splendid review from an experienced traveller like you is even more fantastic - thank you very much!

I appriciate you liking my way of decorating my B&B, all the rooms are different with names, and your room "Hunter" is named so, since it is possible to watch the hunters go for some pheasants on the field just outside the window (mostly in October / November).

You are right: I don't do housekeeping in the rooms, when guests are staying for two-three nights, in order to respect your privacy, but thank's for bringing it up here. I will bare that in mind, so guests from next year can require a room-service if needed / wanted.

And should you come back - next time you are close to Mon, this beautiful island in a corner of Denmark - please come and stay again on Tohojgaard Bed & Breakfast and enjoy one of my dinner options.

My best regards Christine

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

The whole experience at Tohoejgaard is overwhelmingly satisfactory. The views at the B&B's grounds. The utmost relaxed atmosphere in all the places inside and outside the B&B. The spacious garden with flower-corner, loungebeds, newly build wooden playset with ropes (wood used from original telephone pole at Mon). The very nice furnished rooms that suit the whole setting very well. The places to see and go to in the near neighbourhood. And the very courteous and friendly host. We had an extremely relaxing stay at this beautiful B&B.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Christine N, Owner at Tohojgaard Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
Dear Michel B
I'm very glad and honored to read your review here, thanks a lot. Yes, I have a great garden with fruit trees, strawberries to pick, plants and flowers and places to relax. As planned, I decided to create a little playground for children, teens (and playful grown ups) , coming here, that might not be so interested in walking around, studying the flower beds. This fall, I will put pictures on my website of the result.
Kind regards Christine
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

We had a great stay in Tohoejgaard, in the Frida room. We really enjoyed the B&B: this is the perfect place to experience the magic of Mon: a place with character, great views of the sea and the countryside (mound included!), wild and semi-domesticated rabbits.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear orsdipani
Thank you for you stay here at Tohøjgaard and writing about it here. You had the "Frida"-room, decorated with inspiration from the Mexican painter Frida Kahlo, and with a great view over the Baltic Sea. And as you wrote, Tohøjgaard is a perfect place to start exploring from, and then come back in the evening to the tranquility .... and my semi-domesticated hare, though it seems, that he finally decided to move out of the garden.
I hope to see you again here some time - kind regards Christine
Paris
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

We had a wonderful stay, the rooms are amazing and looks just like in the pictures, the breakfast is very elaborated, the host very nice, definitely worth it :)
PS : special mention to the piano from my parents ;)

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Hi Pierre
Thank you for you fine words about your stay here. It pleases me to know, that the photos, I put on my website ( and other sites, where you can find me), shows the place, just as it is.
And thank you for the special greeting form your father - I enjoy, when my guests play on my grand piano (I don't have that much time myself).
Kind regards Christine
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

We had a fantastic break on Moen, staying in this beautiful B&B. The location is as idyllic as the reviews suggest - I would highly recommend a visit.

You could easily spend a week exploring Moen, ideally by bike. The cliffs and surrounding beech woods are a must day-trip, with the reward of a huge icecream covered in sprinkles in the cafe at the top. The roads around the island are quiet and perfect for cycling. The island has a relaxed feel, with local produce (amazing jams, cordials and fruit) and honest boxes along by the roadside. In the evening, we saw many deer, swallows and hares close to the B+B. The frescos in the churches are unbelievably preserved and definitely worth the effort to see.

The beach near the B+B (10mins walk) is so quiet and peaceful, like your own little piece of the Baltic. The B+B itself has beautifully kept gardens and outside decking, with great views across the sea. It is a good 8km from the town of Stege, where the bus from Vordingbord terminates. The taxi service is infrequent, so worth booking in advance if possible (the tourist information centre next to the bus station will give you a number and let you use the phone, if you ask nicely!). It is a pleasant cycle journey to Tohojgaard, but a bit too far for a daily walk in and out of town. If you are travelling by public transport, I would recommend hiring a bike for your stay. There are plenty of cafes and restaurants in Stege, and supermarkets if you are self-catering.

The rooms are decorated with individual flair. Some might find the decoration chintzy, but it suited the island and the holiday. The B+B has real character and felt like you were staying in a welcoming family home. There are eclectic collections of fiction books and some really useful information about the island. The beds were really comfortable with eiderdown duvets and we slept very well. The rooms can be light with the short summer nights, and black-out blinds might be useful. The bathrooms were very clean and the showers nice and hot, but could do with being updated in the next few years. It was very convenient to hire the bikes at the B+B, at a very reasonable price, but they could benefit with a bit of loving care.

These are well-meant suggestions on how to try and improve on a near-perfect place and I would have no hesitation in staying here again. Having seen the other accomodation on the island, this is the best by far - a fantastic retreat from the world. I have already recommended this to friends and family, and hope to visit again soon. Thank you Christine for running this lovely B+B!

Room Tip: They all looked beautiful, but the higher rooms have the best views.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Christine N, Owner at Tohojgaard Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 21 August 2013
Dear Elle2010_10

Thank you so much for your great review and recommendation here at T.A. And I am very happy for your suggestions, which I will give a small comment here:

Traveling by public transportation: it is also possible to rent bikes here at Tohojgaard, but of course, you will have to get here first. If in need, you can always call, and make and arrangement of me picking you up in Stege.

The short summer nights: Actually another guest gave me the same suggestion earlier this year, so I put up black-out blinds in the only room, that didn't have dark curtains ( which is also the room where the sun comes in through panorama-windows in the morning). So in fact, all rooms can be darkened at night. I will remember to inform guests about that in the future.

Bathrooms: Yes, that is one of my future projects, to update the bathrooms - I hope ( in a few years) to be able to fit in one or two bathrooms next to the rooms.

The bikes of Tohoejgaard: need taking care of - and I thank you for telling me about the problems with the bikes, you hired. Some of my guests forget to tell me, if anything happened to the bike, so I will design a small note / check-list to go with the key for the bike, so I can make it fixed before the next guest pick a bike, that is not quite in order.

Once again, thank you for your review - I hope to see you here again some day.
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

We had a wonderful evening and night in this beautiful b&b, with an ample terrace allowing us to sit almost right in a field and looking at the sea. Best breakfast we had in all of Denmark!
Thanks and we'll come again!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Christine N, Owner at Tohojgaard Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 11 August 2013
Dear Barbara

Thank you very much for your stay and your review. As a lot of other guests, you came by bike, doing the famous "Berlin-Kopenhagen", and with this beautiful summer, that we have, was able to sit outside and enjoy the view over the ever changing sea, the peace and quite with hares hopping around in the fields - not to forget the stars at night with no disturbance of city lights - and a good breakfast, before you went on the next day.

It makes me very proud to read, that you find it the best on your stay here in Denmark, I will do my best to live up to your expectations, when you choose to come back again.

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

On the train from Copenhagen to Vordinborg, my friend tapped the map. "That hotel is outside Stege. Are you sure the bus goes there?" I was sure of nothing, having made the booking in a slapdash fashion and without checking the map properly. Lesson one.

But then the cavalry rode to the rescue, in the shape of Christine, the hotel owner! Despite the best efforts of the driver of the bus from Vordingsborg to Stege to help us (at one point she even stopped the bus, turned off the engine and flagged down one of her colleagues, who might be going closer to our destination), we ended up in the cafe at the bus station at Stege, and a plaintive call was placed to Tohoejgaard. Taxis seemed as rare as hen's teeth but, luckily for us, Christine drove all the way to Stege to pick us up, repeating the operation on our departure. But, fellow travellers, I'm sure she'd rather not do that every day. We were very grateful though.

As for Tohoejgaard, it was tranquility itself, with field after field of yellow rape flowers stretching down to sandy, unspoilt beaches and with placid views out over the cool, blue-gray Baltic Sea. This is definitely for those who enjoy silence, the sounds of nature and a stillness that is reminiscent of the 1950s.

The hotel itself was very comfortable, Christine even produced supper for us at short notice, everything we needed was available from beer to breakfast. The hotel seems to have been created with tranquility in mind: there are many areas - indoors and outdoors - where you can soak up the view, or perhaps doze off in an armchair with a good book...and don't forget to take a walk down to the sea...

Tohoejgaard is well-run hotel that calms the spirit and soothes the soul, with an ever-helpful host and a serene location. Recommended.

Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Christine N, Owner at Tohojgaard Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
Dear simontig

Thank you very much for you great review. It was fun to read your description of getting here :-)
You are not the only one, who has been taken by surprise, when you realize, that Tohøjgaard is actually not IN the town Stege!! We only have three zip-codes on the Island, covering Eastern Møn, Western Møn and the area around Stege. So that's why, my address is 4780 Stege, but - as you found out - situated 8 km west of the town.

I do try to make that clear on my own website with on line booking, I know, that Lonely Planet and Guide du Routard mentions it in their guides, but I can't answer for booking.com, venere.com and other OTA's, though I have tried to make them point it out. I will make another effort on trying to get them to clarify it.
Taxis are possible to call, but you need to book at least one hour in advance, and they are a bit expensive.

So, if you found yourself stuck in Stege with no possibility to get here, sure I will come and pick you up. I want you to spend the most time here, relaxing, looking over the Baltic sea, and not spend time in a bus station. So thank you once again for your stay - hope to see you some other time.
Best regards Christine
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stege
Stege Nor
#1 of 15 in Stege
Kobmandsgaarden
Kobmandsgaarden
#7 of 15 in Stege

Been to Tohojgaard Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!