“Weekend in Copenhagen” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #39 of 114 Hotels in Copenhagen
Samara, Russia
“Weekend in Copenhagen”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

"Wakeup Copenhagen" is nice and cosy hotel for spend weekend in Copenhagen.
My room was clear. The view was good.
Breakfast is simple and delicious: some sorts of juice, coffee, tea, baking, cheese, ham, flakes.
The staff are very nice young persons.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Perth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

We stayed at Wakeup Copenhagen for 2 nights in January. We had a pleasant stay in a double room. The room was very reasonably priced compared to other hotels in Copenhagen. Yes the room was quite small, however the room was well designed so it was still very functional. It was modern and clean, and had a good bathroom and also had a TV. It was the perfect base for our short stay. It was also just a short walk from the main train station and the city center.
Staff seemed friendly and helpful. Wifi connection was good. Luggage lockers are available which we made use of on our last day after we checked out.
If you are money conscious, but want to stay somewhere better than your average hostel then I highly recommend Wakeup Copenhagen.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Maidstone, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

I contacted the hotel before leaving this review and its apparent from the week late reply that they care very very little for their clientele. Please read my review below to see the issue prompting this. In the reply I was told the hotel was a 2 star hotel and not a 4 star hotel (I never suggested or believed it was). Apparently pillows are a 4 start hotel facility, I hadn’t expected all that much from the hotel other than to be able to sleep, this it seems is a 4 star hotel perk. I have since replied to that email and have received no reply from them

Review:
We stayed at Wakeup Copenhagen for 4 nights in February 2014. First, I'd like to say that the hotel is clean and easy enough to find from the central station. Bus 11A will take you right outside the door (bus will say Tivoli Hotel, its just before that stop).

This aside, the actual quality of stay was appalling. I appreciate its aimed at the budget end of the scale and am not expecting miracles. But I am expecting to be able to sleep in a hotel as a fairly bare minimum. The double beds come with 2 pillows and 2 separate single duvets, the duvets don't concern me too much, just explaining. I suspect it is to cut laundry bills if only single occupancy. The pillows are well used and almost ineffective. Please don't feel I'm someone needing a great level of comfort, I'm not. I regular camp out on a roll mat and when living in Asia, I've spent countless nights sleeping on floors. The pillows were not sufficient to elevate my head, it was almost the same as going without.

I have a slight back injury from rugby, I'm still fighting fit and a keen runner. I have problems when my neck is not elevated a little bit when sleeping, it only needs to be a few degrees above 0 to be fine, the pillows won't allow that as they are so old and used. Not wanting to be needy, night 1 I tried without.

On waking up, my back was in painful spasms (worse than I've ever had) and had swelled up. After some painkillers and a good walk, it reduced a bit. That evening when I returned I asked reception for some extra pillows to help, due to the injury, they were polite enough in refusing me this, and offered me towels to bulk up the pillow. I said fine, not really having much choice and said could I ask housekeeping in the morning (thinking that they couldn't do it as it was past 8pm). Reception informed me that it would still be not possible, as the hotel only has the exact number of pillows for the exact number of rooms. This was explained by the statement "it's a budget hotel".

I persevered with 'towel pillows' though it was rather annoying that housekeeping would take them away each day, they were stuffed inside the pillowcase to be one now larger pillow. They didn't replace them, just took them, which was a bit annoying to be honest to have to ask again for towels. I didn't bother on the last night, it hadn't helped anyway by this stage anyway and I had plenty of pain killers. I'd also booked an appointment with my osteopath for when I returned. I need to have several more of these to right the wrong that Wakeup Copenhagen did to my back.

Further to this problem, just outside is a construction site, I believe that some work on the road is being undertaken, what I do now know is that Danish builders start work earlier, about 7:30am the machines started up. I particularly enjoyed the machine that breaks up the tarmac with it lovely thumping noise at 2-3 second intervals. There was no need for an alarm clock on this trip!

The train tracks also run behind the hotel, you can hear very clearly the trains, I write this as I suspect the owners response will be explaining how the construction site is temporary etc. and that it'll be gone soon etc. It looked fairly long term to me as it appears they are developing some of the unused land, streetview it, you'll see plenty of available building space.

The room itself, although clean enough is small (I expected this and doesn't really bother me). But remember this, the bathroom and toilet are very close to ALL areas of the room. The acoustics of the bathroom can be heard by all, so if you are sharing the room with someone, make sure you are already very well acquainted, because you will be once you've stayed here.

I'd recommend the Wakeup Copenhagen if you not interested in a good nights sleep and like to be able to hear you fellow traveller make use of all the bathroom facilities, but hey, as the receptionist said "this is a budget hotel". As for my personal circumstance and my back, I'm now looking at several weeks of treatment to undo the damage done, I'm going to look into seeking some legal advice given the damage to my back, but given the treatment is going to be costing me under £200 I suspect sadly it won't be a viable route

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Paul M
WAKEUPCPH, Gæsteansvarlig at Wakeup Copenhagen Carsten Niebuhrs Gade, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear Paul M,
We can only again confirm that it is correct that our 2 star hotel is limited equipped.
All rooms are equipped with 1 duvet 1 pillow per guest and of cause towels, shampoo, soap and hairdryer.
We wish you all the best with you back problem and hope you will find a more suitable hotel in our wonderful city next time you visit.
Kind regards,
Team Wakeup
Province of Perugia, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the wakeup hotel for three nights in the double standard room. This hotel is perfect for couples who want to see the city without spending too much money: the rooms are small but very clean and cosy and it's only 10 mins away from the city centre, 5 mins from the central station and there's a bus stop just a couple of minutes away which drives to all the main locations. Excellent hotel, would
recommend!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Graz, Austria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

Nice "design" hotel, but the rooms are a bit tight.
Breakfast is good.
TV cannot be moved, hence lying in the bad you have a bad angle to watch.
Sometimes WiFi reception is bad in the room
Nothing around, the next shops are in the train station (10min walk)

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

Clean, modern, basic, small.
Its fine if you are with a group on a business trip, and aren't actually staying in the room much. If you are likely to be in the room for any length of time, then I'd suggest an alternative.
Having said that, there is nothing wrong with a compact, basic room.
Would have been nice if they could at least provide a bottle of drinking water in the rooms though.

Room Tip: There is building going on next door (March 2014) so I'd choose a higher floor.