“Comfortable stay”

Wakeup Copenhagen Carsten Niebuhrs Gade
Ranked #40 of 118 Hotels in Copenhagen
Reviewed 24 March 2014

The hotel was very clean and modern. The person at the reception desk was very friendly and even recommended a great place to get dinner. Great location, we were able to walk basically everywhere. Great place to stay few a few days in Copenhagen.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 March 2014

Clean and new place. The bed is really good but the pillows are just not ok. There is no privacy on the toilet so just book this room if you are very familiar with the person you are sharing the room with.

There was no noisy on the room, neither from outside or from the rooms next to us. The staff was always very kind and helpful. The check in was all done using a machine on the entrance (optional) and it was great experience!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 March 2014

When I cose WakeUp Copenhagen I was a bit skeptical because it was just a 2* hotel and because of that rates were really lower than other hotels.
From the first moment inside I had to change my mind and thought I had made a great deal!
The check in can be made automaticly with a pc but receptionists are very fast and kind.
The room is small but very comfortable and perfectly designed to satisfy a short stay.
The breakfast was really good and quite various,
to conclude I really recommend this structure to all of those who want to visit Copenhagen staying in a very good hotel without wasting their money.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com
1  Thank Mattia V
Reviewed 17 March 2014

My stay in this hotel was very nice, the rooms are well clean and with such a modern style that makes your stay more easy and comfortable. It is also very close to central station which is very convenient, besides the cheap price. I amply recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gabygvr21
Reviewed 17 March 2014

"Wakeup Copenhagen" is nice and cosy hotel for spend weekend in Copenhagen.
My room was clear. The view was good.
Breakfast is simple and delicious: some sorts of juice, coffee, tea, baking, cheese, ham, flakes.
The staff are very nice young persons.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 March 2014

We stayed at Wakeup Copenhagen for 2 nights in January. We had a pleasant stay in a double room. The room was very reasonably priced compared to other hotels in Copenhagen. Yes the room was quite small, however the room was well designed so it was still very functional. It was modern and clean, and had a good bathroom and also had a TV. It was the perfect base for our short stay. It was also just a short walk from the main train station and the city center.
Staff seemed friendly and helpful. Wifi connection was good. Luggage lockers are available which we made use of on our last day after we checked out.
If you are money conscious, but want to stay somewhere better than your average hostel then I highly recommend Wakeup Copenhagen.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 March 2014

I contacted the hotel before leaving this review and its apparent from the week late reply that they care very very little for their clientele. Please read my review below to see the issue prompting this. In the reply I was told the hotel was a 2 star hotel and not a 4 star hotel (I never suggested or believed it was). Apparently pillows are a 4 start hotel facility, I hadn’t expected all that much from the hotel other than to be able to sleep, this it seems is a 4 star hotel perk. I have since replied to that email and have received no reply from them

Review:
We stayed at Wakeup Copenhagen for 4 nights in February 2014. First, I'd like to say that the hotel is clean and easy enough to find from the central station. Bus 11A will take you right outside the door (bus will say Tivoli Hotel, its just before that stop).

This aside, the actual quality of stay was appalling. I appreciate its aimed at the budget end of the scale and am not expecting miracles. But I am expecting to be able to sleep in a hotel as a fairly bare minimum. The double beds come with 2 pillows and 2 separate single duvets, the duvets don't concern me too much, just explaining. I suspect it is to cut laundry bills if only single occupancy. The pillows are well used and almost ineffective. Please don't feel I'm someone needing a great level of comfort, I'm not. I regular camp out on a roll mat and when living in Asia, I've spent countless nights sleeping on floors. The pillows were not sufficient to elevate my head, it was almost the same as going without.

I have a slight back injury from rugby, I'm still fighting fit and a keen runner. I have problems when my neck is not elevated a little bit when sleeping, it only needs to be a few degrees above 0 to be fine, the pillows won't allow that as they are so old and used. Not wanting to be needy, night 1 I tried without.

On waking up, my back was in painful spasms (worse than I've ever had) and had swelled up. After some painkillers and a good walk, it reduced a bit. That evening when I returned I asked reception for some extra pillows to help, due to the injury, they were polite enough in refusing me this, and offered me towels to bulk up the pillow. I said fine, not really having much choice and said could I ask housekeeping in the morning (thinking that they couldn't do it as it was past 8pm). Reception informed me that it would still be not possible, as the hotel only has the exact number of pillows for the exact number of rooms. This was explained by the statement "it's a budget hotel".

I persevered with 'towel pillows' though it was rather annoying that housekeeping would take them away each day, they were stuffed inside the pillowcase to be one now larger pillow. They didn't replace them, just took them, which was a bit annoying to be honest to have to ask again for towels. I didn't bother on the last night, it hadn't helped anyway by this stage anyway and I had plenty of pain killers. I'd also booked an appointment with my osteopath for when I returned. I need to have several more of these to right the wrong that Wakeup Copenhagen did to my back.

Further to this problem, just outside is a construction site, I believe that some work on the road is being undertaken, what I do now know is that Danish builders start work earlier, about 7:30am the machines started up. I particularly enjoyed the machine that breaks up the tarmac with it lovely thumping noise at 2-3 second intervals. There was no need for an alarm clock on this trip!

The train tracks also run behind the hotel, you can hear very clearly the trains, I write this as I suspect the owners response will be explaining how the construction site is temporary etc. and that it'll be gone soon etc. It looked fairly long term to me as it appears they are developing some of the unused land, streetview it, you'll see plenty of available building space.

The room itself, although clean enough is small (I expected this and doesn't really bother me). But remember this, the bathroom and toilet are very close to ALL areas of the room. The acoustics of the bathroom can be heard by all, so if you are sharing the room with someone, make sure you are already very well acquainted, because you will be once you've stayed here.

I'd recommend the Wakeup Copenhagen if you not interested in a good nights sleep and like to be able to hear you fellow traveller make use of all the bathroom facilities, but hey, as the receptionist said "this is a budget hotel". As for my personal circumstance and my back, I'm now looking at several weeks of treatment to undo the damage done, I'm going to look into seeking some legal advice given the damage to my back, but given the treatment is going to be costing me under £200 I suspect sadly it won't be a viable route

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Paul M
WAKEUPCPH, Gæsteansvarlig at Wakeup Copenhagen Carsten Niebuhrs Gade, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Dear Paul M,
We can only again confirm that it is correct that our 2 star hotel is limited equipped.
All rooms are equipped with 1 duvet 1 pillow per guest and of cause towels, shampoo, soap and hairdryer.
We wish you all the best with you back problem and hope you will find a more suitable hotel in our wonderful city next time you visit.
Kind regards,